starting strength gym
Page 444 of 659 FirstFirst ... 344394434442443444445446454494544 ... LastLast
Results 4,431 to 4,440 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I snuck this session in between visits to the hospital. DB fell last night and dislocated her hip. The orthopedist got it back in place with a lot of sedation and without surgery. It remains to be seen how much care she may need from me at home for a while, so this could be my last workout for a while.

Speed bag, SciFit, BoxingMaster, medicine ball toss, stretching.

Average HR was 124 bpm @ 81% of MHR.

Wish her luck on this.
    Sorry to read about DBs bad luck I do wish her some strong viking luck from sweden, that ought to do the trick, and maybe some barbell Rx in the future.

Thank you Bergs. This is proving to be a real protracted trial for the both of us.

Another crammed in session between visits to the hospital and anticipating a call for DB's discharge.

Rounds of SciFit, speed bag, medicine ball toss, BoxingMaster, and stretching.

Average HR was 129 bpm @ 84% of MHR.

DB is sleeping in this morning so I took the opportunity to pound out some stress and frustration on the speed and heavy bags for more than usual rounds, along with side bends, the elliptical, medicine ball tosses, SciFit, and stretching.

Average HR was 135 bpm @ 88% of MHR.

Sorry to hear about DB, I will keep her in my prayers. Try to keep pounding away at the weights. During tough times I find it to be a much needed stress release. There are psychological benefits as well as physical. It helps me to keep a level head and I am able to make better decisions as a result. Plus the best way to help her is to keep your health up. So many times when the health of one spouse fails the others is drug down by stress and a to heavy to bear workload. It takes a strong resolve from both parties to get through these things but it can be done. The problem is that if one gives up both suffer as a result.

Thanks Ken, and some excellent advice.

DB is doing better and sooner than I had anticipated, but this week has been emotionally, psychologically, and physically wearing in the extreme. She's coming back, but I've been driving her crazy with my hovering around her ready to grab her, spot her, or catch her if she gets too wobbly.

But still . . .

DB gets incrementally better. Much better mobility when she moves and walks now. Which was the big concern.

So I got a hallway potty pass to the gym. Rounds of handball, speed bag, rower, round bag, cable crunch, and stretched.

Average HR was 128 bpm @ 84% of MHR.

Good to hear about DBs recovery. My best wishes to you two.

Thanks Bergs. She has a ways to go yet, but she's getting there.

starting strength coach development program
    Busy day today. Follow ups with DB's doc, she's doing well thank you very much. In fact, better now than before the accident. Then the gym, then a visit to the park district.

THE GYM:

I decided to re-program after last week's brief hiatus. The highland games are largely done for the year. What with the weather and the holidays lining up and all and looming over everything else in the next few months. So I am going waaay off the SS reservation for a while (does that make me a Bad Injun?) and going back sort of to a programming template I used to follow for a few years prior to discovering SS. A guy by the name of Bob Whelan used a twice a week scheme set up with a horizontal push move, a horizontal pull move, a vertical push move, a vertical pull move, and then would use alternating hip/leg moves from one weekly session to the next. One being a squat or leg press and the other being a trap bar. The volume for all five of those in one session is a little more than I can tolerate at 68, so I am splitting the vertical and horizontal moves across both weekly sessions for 3 - 4 moves each day the strength training is done. He also did these back to back with little to no rest between movements and sets. None of that for me. I maintained my rest periods between sets to at least 3 minutes or when my HR dropped below 110 bpm. Explosive and ballistic stuff will be incorporated into my conditioning sessions. So, we'll see how this goes for a while.

All for sets of 5.

Hammer Shoulder Press: (vertical push) 50-80-100-120-140-160-180. Trying to find a good resistance level here. Seat set at pin 8.

Hammer Row: (horizontal pull) 180-270-360. Seat set at pin 6.
    -
    Hammer Leg Press: (hip/leg) 180-270-360-450. Trying to find a good resistance level here as well. Seat set at last pin.

Average HR was 125 bpm @ 82% of MHR.

PARK DISTRICT:

I cancelled Jujitsu classes until further notice last week thinking it would be a slow road to recovery for DB. But today went to the office and said things were good to go again and that I would add a make up class at the end. I also asked if the notice for the class in the booklet the park district puts out could appear in the adult section as well. This stemmed from a question I got from a prospective student asking if adults could take it. It's currently in the youth activities section, but the programs director agreed to have it placed in the adult section as well.

Life is good!