starting strength gym
Page 446 of 659 FirstFirst ... 346396436444445446447448456496546 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,460 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Cap.jpg

Emma showed and Ken was already there when I got to the room where I teach. Good to see him. He took Emma through warm ups and helped teach her. She continues to improve, although pivoting is still giving her problems. She asked where Dave was, clearly salivating over the prospect of whaling away on him, the rechristened striking dummy BOB the Karate folk share with us. So I told her if she worked through the techniques quickly and well, we'd spend the last 10 minutes of the class there. Whale away she did, knife hands, upper cuts, elbow strikes, back fists, and hammer fists. I told her that her white belt would be in next week.

Average HR was 105 bpm @ 68% of MHR.

Today was rounds of speed bag; side bends; long bag for kicks, knees, and stomps; SciFit; BoxingMaster for hooks, elbow strikes, and uppercuts; rower; heavy bag, and stretching.

Average HR was 130 bpm @ 85% of MHR.

Some odds and ends today. Tire flips, speed bag, hand ball, SciFit, and stretched.

Average HR was 130 bpm @ 85% of MHR.

Cap.jpg

Ethan and Ken showed tonight. Ken had some questions about how to execute a leg takedown when defending from the ground without bringing the attacker down on top of you. These takedowns are taught a couple of belts above his rank, but I showed him the bare bones to answer his question. From there I ran them through all but the last three standing takedowns before we ran out of time. They remembered the techniques reasonably well, especially Ken who has been sidelined for a while. They need more work, but they did better than I expected.

Average HR was 108 bpm @ 78% of MHR. Nice and easy, which makes sense given that I was teaching and coaching more than demonstrating and being demonstrated upon.

Lower back was a little creaky this morning. But then it was 22F when I woke up. Guess it goes with the geriatric territory. Oddly though, my left medial gluteus medias was achy. Very unusual, that.

Incline Press: 180-5-5-4.

Deadlifts: 260-5, 265-5, 270-2. I might have had some more reps in me, but I could tell I was skirting injury. So discretion ruled.

Hammer High Row: 270-5, 300-5, 305-5.

Stretched.

Average HR was 122 bpm @ 80% of MHR.

Rounds of speed bag, cable crunch, rower, round bag, medicine ball toss, stretched.

Average HR was 133 bpm @ of MHR.

I stopped drinking entirely a few weeks ago and since becoming a teetotaler, my perception of my sleep has improved a great deal and I don't have the dragged behind a truck feeling I would wake up with and self medicate through the day and try to alleviate with coffee. I have also dropped 6 lbs.

I have a FitBit, and it tracks my sleep and time awake/restlessness along along with my resting heart rate has also dropped. The resting heart rate has gone from 73 bpm to 59 bpm. The net effect of the stopping alcohol and losing even a little weight seems to have also improved my VO2 Max rating scale as FitBit expresses it. I went from a rating range of 31-35 Good to Very Good and am now in the 34-38 Good to Very Good range, just a hair shy of the Very Good to Excellent range at the 38.7+ threshold. So I am now tracking my weight again.

Weight: 256.

All for sets of 5.

Hammer Shoulder Press: 190-190-195.

Hammer Row: 370-375-380
    -
    Hammer Leg Press: 500-520-540.

Average HR was 124 bpm @ 81% of MHR.

Weight: 256.

General full body stuff mostly. Rounds of elliptical, speed bag, cable rotations, Rower, SciFit, stretching.

Average HR was 130 @ 85% of MHR.

starting strength coach development program
    I decided to hike Trillium Trail in Giant City this morning. It was 28F this morning with some light snow. Which is highly unusual around here this early.

Some photos of the fauna, deer and wild turkeys.

Deer in Snow.jpg Turkeys in Snow.jpg

As I drove into the park by way of Makanda there were around a dozen turkey vultures circling the valley where the town is and road runs. Not the best footing on the trail, what with snow, wet leaves, roots, and wet rocks. My walking staff was a godsend. There's some dispute between the park's take on the length of the trail and the Alltrails app I have on my phone. The park says 2 miles and Alltrails says 1.3 miles. I did a rough measure of it by the road that sort of parallels it and I'll go with the park's take on it. Did it in under an hour, where the estimated travel time on the trail sign board said 1.5 hours.

So, not bad, and a really good measure of that hike on a short segment of the River to River Trail where that natural arch sits on a side trail in Johnson County. It too is about 2 miles and I suspect the terrain there is less rugged. Trillium has an elevation gain of 167 from the foot to the top of the bluff it runs in. A video of it.

It was done in the Spring. Today was dark, cold, and the trail and rocks were snow pocked and rather grim and dramatic looking.

Trillium Rocks.jpg

All in all, it wasn't hiking in the Scottish Highlands, but not a bad little jaunt for a geezer.