starting strength gym
Page 454 of 659 FirstFirst ... 354404444452453454455456464504554 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,540 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks Jerry.

I attribute the weight loss to three factors. In order of importance:

1. I stopped drinking near the end of October. My weight loss since then has been just under 2 lbs. a week. No more empty calories.

2. The Fitbit I bought in May this year provided me with the data and metrics to track my activity levels better. Albeit I lost only 7 lbs. between May and October.

3. The CPAP seems to have filled me with more energy.

Weight: 241.

Sets of 5.

Incline Press: 165 for 3 sets.

Hammer Row: 310 for 3 sets.

My left side trap and neck were killing me from a bad pillow position the night before last so I deferred deadlifts for the next session. Even the warm up sets hurt, so I bailed.

Average HR was 121 bpm @ 79% of MHR.

As the late, great, Roseanne Roseannadanna said so memorably, "If it isn't one thing it's another!" My left trap is getting better, but my right knee is aching this morning.

BUT! Into the gym, dammit. With things I could handle that were not TOO taxing on either owwie.

Rounds of medicine ball toss, speed bag, SciFit, round bag (with lots of torso, uppercut, and liver shots), side bends, and stretching. The last of which has now had an ITB and lateral hip flexor stretch.

Average HR was 131 bpm @ 86% of MHR.

Weight: 242.

Average HR was 117 bpm @ 76% of MHR.

Sets of 8.

Seated Press: 45-75-95-105-105-105.

Rope Handle Tricep Presses: 167 for 3 sets.

Rope Handle Curl: 170-180-190.

Claw Curl Grip: 110-120-130.

Average HR was 117 bpm @ 78% of MHR.

Ball Cap.jpg

New year, first session of Jujitsu. Ken showed to assist in teaching Alex and Zach. Two brothers, 10 and 8 respectively. Zach is a little hard to focus, which is hardly unusual at his age, but is well behaved and wants badly to do this. I had to keep telling him "fast and strong is not what it is about yet. Just take your time and try to do the movements slowly and with control." Alex needs to relax. Which is unusual for a 10 year old. Learning falls was hard for him, and took longer than usual to get him into some semblance of good practice. I do have confidence that they will get there though.

Average HR was 112 bpm @ 73% of MHR.

Weight: 243.

Today was tractor tire flips (which grabbed the attention of a couple of geezers my age shambling around the indoor track), speed bag, cable rotations, handball, punishing the heavy bag, and stretching.

Average HR was 132 bpm @ 86% of MHR.

EDIT: In my travels today I had some questions from the park district about scheduling sessions for Jujitsu. I learned my girl student, Emma, though she missed last night's class is still very interested. Just some parent stuff to sort through. Her American Girl doll got a gi for Christmas. You can't make this stuff up.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 01-10-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Sets of 5.

Bench Press: 180 for 3 sets. Not quite 3 grinders, but not easy. Hardly surprising, given a nearly 30 lb. weight loss. I'm not getting stronger as I lose weight, but I don't seem to be losing much strength so far. The descent to 220 may tell a different tale.

Hammer Row: 315-320-325 for 3 sets.

Hammer Leg Press: 640 for 3 sets.

Average HR was 117 bpm @ 76% of MHR.

Ball Cap.jpg

Tonight proved that not only am I insane, but so are my two intermediate students, Ethan and Ken. Despite a driving snowstorm with unplowed and unsalted roads we all three showed for Jujitsu class tonight.

I expected some rusty skills execution and flawed memories, but mostly they did quite well. Some fine tuning was required, but then they are still in the refining stage of techniques. The biggest problem they are having is with the inside leg sickle takedown. It's a tricky one to master and much different than any of their prior techniques.

starting strength coach development program

Braving semi-salted and semi-plowed side roads, into the gym for some eclectic conditioning, heavy on the striking aspects this morning. Rounds of speed bag, Jacob's Ladder, heavy bag, cable crunch, long bag (lots of knee kicks, stomps, shin high kicks, back kicks, sweeps), SciFit, and stretching.

Average HR was 130 bpm @ 85% of MHR.