starting strength gym
Page 464 of 659 FirstFirst ... 364414454462463464465466474514564 ... LastLast
Results 4,631 to 4,640 of 6586

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Weight: 225.

Seated Press: 135: 6-6-6. I can tell the weight loss is getting to my abilities to press. This is nothing new, just a little surprising it took this long to kick in. Very tough sets.

Rope Handle Curl: 250 for 2 sets of 8.

Pullover and Press: 110 for 3 sets of 8. See Presses above.

Claw Curl: I bagged on these. My middle and ring fingers have been aching since the last session of these. No doubt arthritis asserting itself, so I wanted to let that get better. If it persists, I may have to go to another grip developer. Maybe cut off the sleeve of an old gi and use it to grip and do pullups and other such pulling work. It never fails to flummox all but the hardcore martial arts observers.

Average HR was 113 bpm @ 74% of MHR. As my weight has come down, so has my average HR while lifting. Likewise my calorie burn.

A change up for planned Special Olympics today. Supposed to be track and field practice for the Spring Games but the tornado warnings in the area and very wet field got that cancelled.

John's father asked if I could do a short session with John limited to deadlifts because he had to leave early to train the girl's basketball team. During the call, he told me John didn't want to let me down by not showing up. Actually made me mist up when he said that. A heavy load of responsibility for this special man.

So I planned to cycle John up to 175 and maybe 180 if that went well. Then if there was time, have John do some dumbbell push presses for shoulders and triceps assistance work as well as some medicine ball tosses. An added factor on this was to get him used to some explosiveness for the shot put. He does a very basic shuffle to a standing toss. Nothing like a discus spin. I couldn't do justice to coaching him for such a sophisticated technique anyway.

John decided he wanted to try 185, which he did with ease. Another incremental victory on the road back to the 300+ he was pulling before his hernia. He thought the new explosive work was fun.

Weight: 224.4 Almost there.

It was all about the highland games this morning. I did my Jujitsu warmup since my left ITB was feeling tight, then into the caber lift, hammer swings, DB push presses, medicine ball toss, KB swings, and stretched.

Average HR was 120 bpm @ 78% of MHR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Weight: 224.4 Almost there.
    Nice discipline to reach a lower plateau.

However, if you don't stop losing and I don't stop gaining, we may teeter totter this state and cause the Mississippi to run backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by mangen View Post
    Nice discipline to reach a lower plateau.

However, if you don't stop losing and I don't stop gaining, we may teeter totter this state and cause the Mississippi to run backwards.
    Thanks, but I'm stopping at 220 and even going to start using creatine and maybe BCAA's and glutamine to (hopefully) further improve my body composition and strength.

Also, nice reference to the New Madrid Fault and the 1812 quake.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 03-16-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Weight: 224.6.

2nd Cycle, Week 1. 5 reps @ 65%, 5 reps @ 75%, as many reps as possible @ 85%.

Push Press: 95-110-123/6.

High Pulls: 135-160180/7.

Cable Rotations: 150 for 3 sets of 5.

Stretched.

Average HR was 119 bpm @ 78% of MHR.

Weight: 226.8. A leetle too much corned beef and cabbage (but no alcohol!) for St. Paddy's Day.

Rounds today of speed bag, clap push ups, rower, medicine ball slam, heavy bag, SciFit, leg raises, and limited stretching. I have discovered the ITB stretch was aggravating my left hip, so that one will be done no more.

Average HR was 126 bpm @ 82% of MHR.

Saw a magnificent Chevelle SS in the parking lot. Too bad I can't post the photo.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 03-18-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Nice work
    Im impressed by the ”noalcoholrule” I have the same rule, because I like it to much. But I tend to eat to much instead.

I'm done with the hooch for the duration. It may have been fun, but the downside was laziness, fat, and stupidity.

starting strength coach development program
    Weight: 226.4.

2nd Cycle, Week 1. 5 reps @ 65%, 5 reps @ 75%, as many reps as possible @ 85%.

Incline Press: 125-145-165/6.

Hammer High Rows: 245-280-320/.6

Deadlifts: 215-250-280/5.

Stretched.

Average HR was 111 bpm @ 72% of MHR.

This was a VERY hard session. I barely made 6 reps in the Incline Press and I chickened out on a 6th rep in the Deadlift when my legs shook on the 5th and my left lower back started twanging lie Foggy Mountain Breakdown.