starting strength gym
Page 465 of 659 FirstFirst ... 365415455463464465466467475515565 ... LastLast
Results 4,641 to 4,650 of 6586

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Tuesday night training John the Special Olympian. He had a cold, so I kept him to sets of 5 @ 50% to 75%. After squatting and benching, I started him at 115 for the deadlift and he grimaced after coming up with the first rep. I stopped him immediately and asked if his "stomach" (his hernia) was OK. Nope, it was his lower back. And THAT was the end of that for the night. I told him about my own back deadlifting this morning when he broke my heart saying he was sorry for the deadlifting.

Also, I asked about the bug looking thing on the hat. It was (what else?) a lightning bug for Team Lightning Bolt.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 03-19-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Weight: 225.8.

Since my back was a little tetchy from yesterday today was arms only rowing, speed bag, elliptical, cable crunch, side medicine ball throws (a bad idea with the back as it turned out), and stretching.

Average HR was 125 bpm @ 82% of MHR. Cinching up my belt for deadlifts yesterday also indicates drilling another hole may be in the offing.

Weight: 225.

Seated Press: 135: 7-7-6. Struggling back up.

Rope Handle Curl: 250 for 3sets of 8.

Pullover and Press: 115 for 3 sets of 6.

Claw Curl: Sets of 5, 100-110-120.

Average HR was 116 bpm @ 76% of MHR.

Last minute call to train the shotputters. So DB and I hied ourselves off to the fairly new and very impressive grounds of Carterville HS.

There, I met Jareth, John C., Lena, and another young woman whose name escapes me just now. Jareth was a HS age guy and big. He worked his way up to an impressive set of throws. John C is tall and lanky and used his leverages well. The name forgotten woman had no discernible form whatever but had enough upper body strength to manage a good set of distances. Lena is also a deadlifter who I need to get to use more knee bend to get her legs into her throws. She could be doing much better, but I think I can help her.

John was home sick with bronchitis and I am wondering if he will be able to make the meet next Saturday. Fingers crossed for him.

Lots of good camaraderie with these Special Olympians. It truly is rewarding working with them. Jareth and John C. were gabbing about MMA, so I showed them some escapes from grabs and chokes. Who knows? They may show up at my Jujitsu class next week.

2nd Cycle, Week 2. 3 reps @ 70%, 3 reps @ 80%, as many reps as possible @ 90%.

Bench Press: 150-170-194/3. I knackered my wrist doing curls and spent 36 hours or so in some real pain. Couldn't do anything with my right hand at all and it throbbed, keeping me awake. It was better this morning but I used a wrist wrap and gutted it out. The lingering discomfort probably cost me rep #4.

Hammer Row: 290-335-370/4.

Hammer Leg Press: 495-565-635/6.

Average HR was 113 bpm @ 74% of MHR.

My forced respite yesterday gave some opportunity for reflection on coaching Special Olympians. The ones I've met so far appreciate the attention greatly. So much so, they are prepared to go a considerable way toward pleasing you. Noting this, I think there's a tenuous balance to be maintained between helping them in their athletic endeavors and not overamping them because they'll do most anything you ask of them. As such, I think I have to carefully monitor what might hurt them on their way to winning their events and tell them to tell me when it seems like too much. Then check back with them constantly on the way there.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 03-23-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Weight: 225.2. It seems the old adage about the last 5 lbs. being the hardest is coming home to roost.

It was all about the highland games again today. Caber lifts, hammer swings, medicine ball toss, DB push press, KB swings, stretched.

Average HR was 132 bpm @ 86% of MHR.

Looks like The Elderly sub forum got rippened. Must have been deemed a low enough traffic and posting area to be wasting space in the new world order. Guess those interested can go to the Slack Channel if they feel so compelled.

Hi Mark,,I see a message about some changes, looks like the name was changed to Program Modifications.

Ah. Thanks.

Weight: 225.

2nd Cycle, Week 2. 3 reps @ 70%, 3 reps @ 80%, as many reps as possible @ 90%.

Push Press: 100-120-131/4.

High Pulls: 145-170-190/4.

Hammer Leg Press: 495-565-635/6.

Average HR was 119 bpm @ 78% of MHR.

starting strength coach development program
    This may seem a bit Joycean stream of consciousness, BUT!

It all relates back to training and a most superior day.

Weight: 222. Stalemate broken.

I had to delay my morning conditioning for a teeth cleaning. The chatty hygienist showed me her scuffed palms describing her fall while jogging. I offered to teach her front falls which she eagerly agreed to. Which lead to questions about Jujitsu. I ended up handing out two business cards to her and a receptionist she told ALL about it.

Which lead to getting into the gym, finally. Rounds of speed bag, pull ups, tire flips, and lo and behold a prowler*, then side medicine ball tosses, the heavy bag**, and stretching.

Average HR was 125 bpm @ 82% of MHR.

* I hate the prowler, because of bad memories of football blocking sleds in high school. But I had never used one. So I pushed that rascal around a bit and immediately lapsed into flashbacks of 90F+ two a days deep into oxygen debt. Albeit, the prowler itself wasn't THAT hard. Just trigger material. I guess I'll have to overcome my phobia and bad memories and conquer that bad boy.

** After whaling away on the heavy bag, as I was leaving the room, a guy my age called me over and said I looked like I knew what I was doing. I explained my practice and teaching of Jujitsu and the several dozen fights I had been in. Turns out this guy was a cop for a while himself. In, God help him, Berkeley in the 70's and 80's. We exchanged some brief witticisms and names. Chance meetings are curious things.