starting strength gym
Page 474 of 659 FirstFirst ... 374424464472473474475476484524574 ... LastLast
Results 4,731 to 4,740 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    3rd Cycle, Week 2. 3 reps @ 70%-80%-90%.

Push Press: 105-120-135/4.

High Pulls from Blocks: 150-170-195/4. The Rogue hi-temp bumper plates smote the Samson blocks mightily. This kind of prose is what comes from reading Iggulden's 2nd book in his series about the Wars of the Roses. Who needs Game of Thrones when this stuff really happened to real people. No dragons though. Unless you count Jasper Tudor's coat of arms while he lurks at the edges, waiting for the main chance.

Cable Rotations: 15 for 3 sets of 5.

Ball Cap.jpg

Ken, Ethan, and the newest intermediate, Emma showed up tonight. It was a challenging mix teaching two different ranks techniques alternating back and forth. Emma mostly picked up the techniques pretty well. Ken and Ethan finally finished out all the blue belt 2nd degree techniques. The last four are takedowns and they struggled with two of the foot sweep techniques a little, but had some of the basics if not down, at least the beginnings of a foundation to work from. The arm scoop and head deflection for a low tackle double leg shoot surprised them with how relatively easy it was to pick up.

Since the next intermediate session begins when DB and I will be out of town at the Special Olympics Summer Games, they agreed that adding that as a make up class at the end would work for both of them.

Once again into the breach! This time though, DB and I had some advance notice and planned for it. We did 12 looong hours of concession sales for more S/O fund raising at SIU graduation. We bought some folding stools to take some of the load off while working the registers. Still, it was a real grind. Interesting mix of grads and supporters there. Women veiled to the eyes in cap and gown, a visiting family for their grad all the way from Poland, and everything in between. Melissa McCarthy, an alum, got an honorary PhD and spoke there cracking a joke about being 87% sure she had thrown up in the bushes somewhere in Carbondale. I am sore from the soles of my feet to my thoracic vertebrae.

So this Mother's Day morning had DB sleeping in and me on a recovery day walk along one of the many coves in Crab Orchard Lake. I am not birder, but in the space of 30 minutes or so on my leisurely stroll along the shore I saw pelicans, ducks, Canada geese, blue herons, red wing blackbirds, cardinals, a yellowhammer woodpecker, and an oriole. The walk got enough synovial fluid pumping so that I feel a little better.

My right index and ring fingers are still stiff so I bought some CBD salve which seems to help. I may have to accept that this condition is a permanent fixture of age. I've been avoiding grip training, but am going to try some pinch grip work as part of Jujitsu and putting the hurt on with judicious Vulcan death grip applications to pressure points. We'll see how it goes.

Just saw this on the net: Southwest Illinois county faces property tax hike, layoffs amid rising pension costs

I hope it's not the county you live in.

Crab Orchard Lake sounds like a wonderful place. If we get down that way some time, I'll make sure we stop there and take it all in!

We live in Jackson County, the next one South of Perry County. Yeah, they got the Bog Screw from a bunch of BS coming out of Springfield. But a number of other counties around here are right on the bubble of the same fate. I have no pity for Alexander County. Those guys are Crook County South, and have been rife with dirty deals and corruption of all sorts for decades.

You'd love it here. It's like the Forest Preserves up in your area on steroids.

Major case of the creaks last night and this morning. Poor DB was in even worse shape. So deadlifts were not in the offing.

Instead, it was easy rounds of mainly upper body stuff like arms only rows and SciFit, medicine ball toss, heavy bag, elliptical, hanging leg raises, fooling around with 25 lb. Rouge Hi-temp plates for pinch grips timed holds, and stretching.

The two of us hied ourselves off to the chiro for some cracking. I'm much better now, DB will need a follow up to get completely unkinked.

I was coaching the S/O guy I train in powerlifting tonight. He had been a little draggy on the sets of 5 and 3 in the 5-3-1 routine he had been doing and I was considering switching him to a Hepburn style routine with a bunch of singles. But tonight was 5's and he managed 6 and 7 reps on the last set.

Good going John!

3rd Cycle, Week 2. 3 reps @ 70%-80%-90%.

Not an auspicious portent for the morning's lifting. I didn't sleep well last night. Brain gallop took over with lots of bad thoughts and devils in my head. Add to that some lingering back creakiness that reasserted itself every-single-time(!) I turned over in bed. So, at 4:00 I gave up and got up and started slugging coffee mixed with Core Power Elite, BCAA's and creatine, heavy on the Taster's Choice for a caffeine buzz.

Incline Press: 140-160-180/3. I ground out the last rep and got an uneven lockout with no collars on the bar. A 45, two 10's, and 2 1/2 came crashing off. Humbling, but at least I got my reps in.

Hammer High Row: 270-305-340/4.

Deadlifts: 235-270-300/3. Maybe a 4th rep in there, but my legs got the shakes on the 3rd rep and I decided the ego boost wasn't worth the potential enhanced back miseries.

Stretched.

In other news, the park district Karate guy asked me if I would fill in for him next week when he is at a training session in Chi-town. He said it would give his students an expanded view of martial arts. Absolutely. I have outlined my topics.

Today's conditioning session began with me (asking in vain I figgered) if a replacement speed bag had come in. Oh frabjous day! One had, a good one too, a red, white, and black leather Ringside bag instead of that cheap-ass thin plastic Neverlast uses. The young lady asked me if I wanted it inflated harder and a quick check had me answer, "Nope, it's just fine." Too which she added that there was a guy who was always getting it inflated. I knew that, it would be like a rock sometimes and not rebound well from the upper platform. She went on to say that he said he had broken two of the bags so far. I then asked her for a description of the guy so I could discuss the matter with him personally. She chuckled and demurred. As it happened the bag bracket was missing, so I returned the bag and asked her to file a maintenance report. Dang it.

Anyway: Rounds of side ball toss, handball, heavy bag, Jacob's Ladder, side bend, and stretching.

starting strength coach development program
    Ball Cap.jpg

Jacob showed, along with Ken and Ethan. Jacob continues to improve on fixing his tendency to lean and stepping correctly. He has some work ahead, but is on the right course. He mentioned he got suspended from school for having gotten in two fights on Monday so I asked for details. I counseled him that he should have stepped back from escalating the engagements further. Particularly the second one where he more clearly could have retreated. Instead after the other guy slapped down the finger Jacob gave him, Jacob slugged him. Teen boys. I remember the hormones all too well.

Since the disruptive Zach was not in evidence, I had Ken and Ethan alternate in attacks for Jacob to escape from and counter. Both of them are coming along nicely in their own development as teachers. Thus, we completed the white belt routines early. So I had Ken and Ethan picking up two more takedowns they had not yet encountered. Some really slick and powerful ones for countering straight punches. In one, the defender deflects the punch and shoves the attacker's jaw and head counterclockwise and backwards with the left hand while pulling backward on their striking arm with his right hand. In the other the defender deflects the punch and reaches behind the attacker's neck and hooks their trapezius with the left hand and pulls backward on the striking arm with the right hand.

Both Ken and Ethan want to attend the Jujitsu session I will be teaching to the Karate people.