starting strength gym
Page 482 of 659 FirstFirst ... 382432472480481482483484492532582 ... LastLast
Results 4,811 to 4,820 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Seated Press: 7 singles with 135 seemed too easy so I added 10 lbs. and did 3 singles with 145. Which also seemed too easy. So more weight next time.

Dynamic Shrugs: Sets of 5 with lifting straps to spare my finger. 135-225-295-305-315.

Stretched.

Ball Cap.jpg

Despite a threatening storm, Ken and Jacob showed up tonight. I had them alternate between white belt techniques for Jacob and blue belt 2nd degree techniques for Ken. This has revealed some hitherto unnoticed fundamentals that began at white belt and reappear later. The technique is the use of the arms as a wedge. First, to get an attacker's hands off the throat for the white belt. Second, to prevent an attacker from getting an arm around the defender for a headlock for the 2nd degree blue belt. Funny I never put that together as I ground my way up the ranks.

Jacob continues to refine his technique and improve in his balance and alignment. He was pleased by my compliments on it.

Hands emphasis today. Speed bag, hand ball, heavy bag, medicine ball toss, and stretching.

I'm committed now. I plunked down the fee for the USPA coaching certification class and the drug free powerlifting meet in Tulsa. No turning back.

Finally, I am ordering Jacob's blue belt. His promotion is imminent.

Squats: Singles worksets were 225-230-235-240-245-250. I'm feeling the load in the lumbars at the bottom end as I strive to hit depth. Gotta get a knowledgeable spotter to verify this. Also, I'm reasonably sure this approach isn't quite what Hepburn had in mind, but then he may never have decided to come back from no squats and get cycled back up.

Hammer Curls: 3 sets of 5 with 120.

Stretched.

Ball Cap.jpg

Ken showed tonight. He was having some trouble with an arm bar applied as a counter to a double wrist grab which involved some adjustment of his footwork and how to properly over rotate the attacker's palm upward in supination. He made some progress with it.

Most of his other techniques are coming along nicely until he got to a counter for a low tackle. It's critical for the defender to jam their forearm into the side of the attacker's neck, rather than the trapezius. The trap will just act like a shock absorber and transmit the kinetic energy down the body. A slightly lateral force to the side of the neck snaps the entire head sideways and bounces the brain a little inside the cranium. Then there's the scoop of one of the attacker's arms over the centerline of their spine twisting them into a pretzel. Snagging the arm and transitioning to the wrist takes some practice. He'll get there.

The sqts and curls seem just like one of the workouts in Brooks Kubiks book Grey Hair and Black Iron. I'm sure learning that at my age ( almost 70) if I do too much in a WO I'm shot for the rest of the day. I'm retired but never seem to have time for a nap. Good luck with the contest prep.

The lifting seems to charge me up. At least so far. Even so, my sleep has become erratic lately and naps are a great blessing.

Thank you for the good wishes.

Since it's Sunday and the Rec Center doesn't open until 1:00, I declared an easy day of conditioning with a brisk walk around Lake on the Campus this morning. It's also muy caliente here, currently 90+ with a beating Sun and mildly taxing humidity. Since it was in the mid to upper 70's this morning, I got r' done then.

Tough day even so. One of my sergeants, Bill Rypkema, has been hit hard and surprised by a really bad bout of cancer. I visited him today in the hospital and it was hard to see him brought to the state he is in. His spirits were good, although he began to tire, so I limited my visit to 30 minutes. We shared some funny stories about things done back when and it made him chuckle. My prayers are with him.

Bench Press: 205 for 6singles and a backoff set of 185 for 5 reps.

Hammer High Row: 305 for 3 sets of 5.

Stretched.

Yesterday's visit to Ryp was barely in time. Got word just a few minutes ago that he passed last night. May he Rest in Peace.

starting strength coach development program
    Rounds of speed bag, prowler, rower, medicine ball toss, stretched.

Since my finger issues don't seem likely to go away completely, I decided to experiment with the hook grip a little this morning. It got difficult at 315 timed holds, but then I wasn't picky about what bar I was using. It was chromed with shallow knurling, which always takes something out of the grip. Deadlifts tomorrow, so I may give a rep or two a try.