starting strength gym
Page 485 of 659 FirstFirst ... 385435475483484485486487495535585 ... LastLast
Results 4,841 to 4,850 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You're welcome Bergs.

Deadlifts: 7 singles with 305. Anyone who doesn't believe the lats are involved in DL's is welcome to feel the inflamed muscle under my right arm. Happened on single #7, and I have no idea why it got tweaked. Maybe the bar came out from my legs a little too much. The rep felt easy enough until the lat started to burn.

Close Grip EZ Curl Bar Floor Press: 3 sets of 5 with 140.

Goals
    Total required for drug tested Nationals: 769.

Total required for drug tested Worlds: 875.

Current Gym Lifts as of 7-8-19
    Squat: 265.
    Bench Press: 230.
    Deadlift: 340.
    Total: 835.

I have 40 lbs. to go.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 07-14-2019 at 07:19 PM.

To quote Joe Pickett, a great character by C.J. Box, things got Western this weekend. DB and I got tapped to assist in a Special Olympics flag football tournament in Lake Forest at Walter Payton Center, AKA Vatican City for Bears fans. So it was jam stuff together for Friday's drive up and Saturday mornings games. I55 was terrible as we approached Chicago from the Southwest. A band of gypsies (I am not making this up) were clustered in the parking lot of the Motel 6 in Rolling Meadows when we had forded the flood of bad traffic and perpetual road construction into and around the Tri-State Tollway. I guess they left the light on for them a little too long.

But the games the next day were worth the hassle. Team Lightning Bolt lost the first game but won the second by a huge margin. I am finding my role as coach of flag football. I am the positive good cop, applauding the efforts of what the players did right. Also administering meatball field triage for injuries. Between what I know of muscles, injuries, first aid, and a certification in massage from the People's Republic of Santa Monica School of Massage, it turns out I am not too bad at that task. The fundamentals of the odd rules of S/O flag football are coming along apace for me.

Then the grinding 370 mile drive home on I-57 playing dodgeball with the semi's South of Mt. Vernon. Scary, that.

This morning was a glorious stroll along the shores of Lake Murphysboro to decompress. Very nice.

Seated Press: 7 singles with 155.

Dynamic Shrugs: 3 sets of 5 with 345.

Stretched.

Squat: 45-95-135-185-225-270 singles from 185 upward. A back off set of 210 for 5 reps. I was perilously close to bad back strain on 270 but am doing OK now so far. So I declared 270 my top max (for now) and will be doing singles with 245 as 90% of my 1RM.

Hammer Curls: 130-135-140 for sets of 5.

Goals
    Total required for drug tested Nationals: 769.

Total required for drug tested Worlds: 875.

Current Gym Lifts as of 7-17-19
    Squat: 270.
    Bench Press: 230.
    Deadlift: 340.
    Total: 835.

I have 35 lbs. to go.

Thats great, strong lifting and I hope you get there!

Thanks again Bergs. Me too.

Ball Cap.jpg

My knee has been ailing me all day. This is the knee that got boogered up some 50 years ago in Judo practice one night with a complex tear of the medial and lateral meniscus. I squatted with that knee and oddly it didn't seem to hurt any worse. But walking and bending it otherwise? Periodic and significant discomfort. Ice, Aleve, and elevation didn't help, but Jujitsu had to go on. So I had Ken work on some ground technique to spare my knee. Arm bars it was. Concentrating on a figure four arm bar applied while moving into an upper position of control. Very uncomfortable to the elbow and shoulder, and I showed him how to use one of his elbows and forearms to apply a choke at the same time.

From there, I showed him how to counter someone dropping onto him when he was in a side fall position from a fall or throw. Drive a knee into one of the attacker's quads while grabbing their wrist and rolling sideways. Done correctly, this throws the attacker sideways across the defender's body. Both of which did not require me to put any load bearing weight on my knee.

Rounds today of speed bag with me relearning how to time alternating double strikes of the bag with right and left hand. Followed by SciFit, rowing, flailing away at the heavy bag, medicine ball tosses, and stretching.

Yesterday, Our Daughter had me take her through some retraining in lifting so she could start up again. I had her check my squat depth. Just to be sure, I had DB check it again this morning before she proceeded on her own exercise routine. Depth is good. This is very reassuring, especially from DB who really knows her stuff on this from watching many meets and seeing white lit squats and the substandard red lit squats.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm sure you will get the 35 lb goal . Your training plan looks great.