starting strength gym
Page 488 of 659 FirstFirst ... 388438478486487488489490498538588 ... LastLast
Results 4,871 to 4,880 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This morning's repertoire included sprint. s, speed bag, rowing, medicine ball toss, the Jujitsu striking drill, and stretching

Deadlifts: 305 for 9 singles and a backoff set of 275 for 5 reps.

Swiss Bar Parallel Close Grip Bench Presses: 145 for 3 sets of 5. This is a whole new set of balance points and geometries to learn. If you don't center your grip on the bar handles, it tends to tilt forward or backward. Not a good feeling.

Crunch: 90 for 3 sets of 5.

Just for variety today I did more sprint intervals, speed bag, elliptical, side bends, the Jujitsu striking drill, and stretched.

I also unearthed my powerlifting gear. My black singlet with red trim, my red t-shirt, and most importantly my lucky red socks. These are the socks DB hustled out to buy for me at my first powerlifting meet in Santa Barbara when I discovered the socks I brought weren't long enough to satisfy the equipment check. These socks still have the bloodstain from a deadlift that ricocheted off my shin at the California state championships. The head judge noticed the bleeding, through the red sock no less, and cautioned me to get that taken care per the rules. Then suggested I just get some chalk from the bowl. "Works every time" he said. Which it did. I've won two state and one national record wearing these socks, so they have great value to me.

Seated Press: 155 for 9 singles and a backoff set of 135 for 5 reps. The singles get easier as I acclimate to them. Maybe something to do with neurological recruitment for near max efforts?

Dynamic Shrugs: Sets of 5, 345-355-365. I've found the groove for this too and the weight is piling on now.

Stretched. Chatted between sets with a friendly young guy who recognized my programming for a Hepburn routine. He himself was doing an old school Bill Starr routine. For all the talk about "kids today" there is hope for the future where you look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Seated Press: 155 for 9 singles and a backoff set of 135 for 5 reps. The singles get easier as I acclimate to them. Maybe something to do with neurological recruitment for near max
    Thats a interesting remark, It sometimes happened to me while doing low rep high sets press.

Well, that was fun. At least now and then. Loong trip up North to see friends of DB out in the upper left hand corner of the state on Saturday and pick up an antique treadle sewing machine.
    Then over to Lake Michigan for a Cubs game on Sunday. Then home again on Monday. All in all, an 840 mile triangle of mostly rural and some truly daunting urban driving.

Squat: 45 for 3 sets of shoulder loosening and warm up for a good low bar seat on my upper back. Followed by sets with 95-135-225-255. Then a walkout with and re-rack with 280. The 280 was today's objective, but between getting the sparklies with 255 and my back and hammies getting the shakes . . .

A no-go. I was cruising along quite well until 255 too. I lost weight this past weekend and all the sitting while driving and at Wrigley Field did me in I guess. Ah well, now to settle in with singles and a backoff set rather than going for the glory. I felt OK until the last hour or so, then my lower back was signalling me that it was not happy.

Hammer Curls: 150 for 3 sets of 5.

Back Extension: One set of 12. A new assistance "lift" if you will, to hopefully bulletproof my lumbars for the squat. We'll see.

Stretched.

Nice work Mark. Driving or even sitting too long sure can affect my back. Not long ago I took a trip to NC, 700 miles from NY. Took 11 hours each way. Only stayed there 2 nights. Next time I will take 2 days for the drive.
    I have a Rev Hyper that I use before every WO,seems too help me.

Thanks Jerry. I used to drive from SoCal to Corvallis, OR when Our Daughter was in school at OSU. It was 945 miles and I did it in 12-13 hours. It was the Great West Coast Road Rally and it really took a toll on me when I did it.

My back is really whacked and fatigued. So I did arms only SciFit and rower, followed by supine medicine ball toss, heavy bag, and speed bag. With stretching. My timing was off for the speed bag. No idea why. If my back doesn't clear a little tomorrow morning it's time for the chiro again.

starting strength coach development program
    Bench Press: 205 for 10 singles followed by a backoff set of 185 for 5 reps. Sitting pretty for the 1RM attempt coming up.

Hammer High Row: 320 for 3 sets of 5.

Stretched.

Another good man has passed. That's two in the last 60 days. First Bill Rypkema and now Paul Staffey, found at home on a welfare check after neighbors noticed he hadn't been out and about. Both were my sergeants, and good ones, when I was working for Carbondale PD. Rest In Peace, Paul. You will be missed.