starting strength gym
Page 492 of 659 FirstFirst ... 392442482490491492493494502542592 ... LastLast
Results 4,911 to 4,920 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I first read about them around 20 years ago in a book by Al Gerard, the inventor of the trap bar. The whole book was about shrugs and frankly, I didn't see the point because I didn't know I wasn't doing bench presses correctly.

Anyway, you get on some dip bars and lock out the elbows at the top. Then you let the traps and scapulae sag to a lower position. This is the depression of the scapulae. Then force yourself up again without unlocking the elbows. It's a very short range movement.

One of the things the instructor in the certification spoke enthusiastically was velocity based training. Including recommending a bar speed device that ties to an app on your phone. So I've been reading up on the subject. As it happens, I've been doing some things that fall within the purview of this training in the form of ball tosses and clap push ups.

So I did some ball tosses today, along with flogging the heavy bag, rowing, the speed bag, and rolling with hanging at the end.

It remains to be seen if I'll try to incorporate this stuff in my focused training for powerlifting. Some of the fanboy articles I have read speak effusively of it and elements of it comes off as "scientific" ooga-booga.

Deadlift: 325 for 4 singles with a backoff set with 295 for 5. I spent more focus on sitting back to better center myself and pull over the midfoot better. Even though I am handling 20 more pounds than my previous cycle, these singles were not too hard. It bodes well for maybe getting this lift back over 400 again.

EZ Curl Floor Press Lockouts: Sets of 5, 145-155-165. The coaching instructor chuckled over people who floor press with the bar right at their chest. The purpose of these being to get past your sticking point. Which I confessed to him was exactly what I had been doing myself. So I did these from blocks.

Crunch: Sets of 5, 95-100-105.

Rolled and hung.

Seated Press: 160 for 4 singles with a backoff set of 5 with 140.

Hammer Row Scapular Retractions: Sets of 12, 220-240-20.

Rolled and hung.

I am experimenting with conditioning in a couple of ways now. First, I am using intervals with 30 seconds "ON" with 120 seconds of "ACTIVE REST". The "rest" is actually moving around walking to maintain some semblance of elevated heart rate. The other is a focus on explosive movements. Today was medicine ball tosses, and I intend to add in box jumps and kettlebell swings.

It went like this, speed bag, medicine ball tosses (3 sets of 5), heavy bag, concluding with rolling and hanging. This was interspersed with empty bar work concentrating on form for bench press and squat as active rest.

The rolling and hanging seems to be paying off. I can get the bar lower on my back with less struggle now in the squat and getting deep seems easier too. So, yay! I'd hate to think all the pain of rolling on that damn pipe was mere masochism.

Squats: 250 for 5 singles with a backoff set of 225 for 5. I hate squats. They are tangible proof of Satan's work manifesting itself in the corporeal world. They scare me. BUT! I am not ready to do push/pull meets with just the deadlift and bench press. So, I squat.

EZ Bar Hammer Curls: Sets of 5, 155-160-160.

Reverse Hyperextensions: Sets of 12, 25-30-35.

Rolling and hanging. Someone absconded with the PVC pipe roller, so I resorted to the more comfortable foam roller. Not the squishy foam though.

The focused explosivity training experiments continue.

Work/active rest ratio of 30/120 seconds. Speed bag, box jumps (actually Samson lifting block jumps, the purpose built Rogues are too high for this old fart) 2 sets of 5, handball, medicine ball toss 2 sets of 5, interspersed with bench press leg drive and scapular retraction and depression practice, heavy bag pummeling, concluded with hard pipe rolls and bar hanging.

Not a bad routine, given an average heart rate of 133 bpm, which includes of course the active rest portions. Also good news was no grim DOMS from reverse hyperextensions so far. After doing them last week I was sore to some major to tapering off to minor degree for 5 days. I was considering dropping them if I didn't adapt. Happily, it appears I have.

Bench Press: 210 for 5 singles with a backoff set of 5 with 190. I'm getting the hang of retracting and depressing my scapulae. Coordinating that with leg drive is coming along, but needs more work to overcome 50 years of not doing either effectively.

Hammer High Row: 320 for 3 sets of 5.

Dip Shrugs: Sets of 12, 15-20-20.

Pipe rolls and bar hanging.

I passed my USPA coaching test, got the news this morning. Woo hoo!

Good to see you passed!

starting strength coach development program
    A mixed bag today. I scouted a walking trail near home in an area called Chautauqua Bottoms. A nice wooded tract of land entirely inside Carbondale's city limits, but it's hard to tell once you get into the trees. Not much of a jaunt, but I discovered a really nice hitherto unknown bridge over Little Crab Orchard Creek. Be a good dog walk for later.

Then DB and I went to the Veteran's Parade in Marion. Lotta patriotism here in God's Country. High school bands, Shriners in their mini-cars, veterans in Corvettes and antique military vehicles, and Harleys. Very Midwestern. It doesn't have the heavy horsepower that the Torrance Military Parade does, but then there are no bases near here either. Great time.

Finally, I sweet talked DB into spotting and photographing my squat depth. It turns out my instincts were correct. I needed to go deeper.