Results 4,921 to 4,930 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Good to see you passed!
    Thanks Jerry.

One last bout of singles with the deadlift tomorrow and then the rest of the week is low key. Coasting in to the meet next Sunday.

Today was easy too. I completed the full trip on the Green Earth David Kenney Trail in Chautauqua Bottoms. A very pleasant walk through the woods crossing and paralleling Little Crab Orchard Creek. There was the one big bridge over the creek and several small wood bridges over side streams. The side streams are all dry washes now. On the return leg, I saw a Giant Woodpecker. I've seen a couple before but this sucker was bigger than a crow. Very large and bright red crest worthy of Woody Woodpecker hisself. Audubon would have been pleased.

Tomorrow I need to check in with the Park District and see how many newbies may have signed up for Jujitsu. That starts next week too.

Deadlifts: 10 dynamic effort speed singles with 250 with 60 seconds rest between each. This was a slight change from my original plan. More on that later.

EZ Curl Bar Floor Press Lockouts: 10 dynamic effort speed singles with 115 with 30 seconds rest between each.

Crunches: 75 for 3 sets of 5.

Rolled and hung.

So I looked up the IPL World record for the deadlift and discovered it was 360. Which I did in the gym a few weeks ago. Armed with that info, I decided on this plan for the meet:

Squat: 1st attempt-198, 2nd attempt-220, 3rd attempt- 250. I suck at squats and am playing it safe as Irebuild.

Bench Press: 1st attempt-176 (metric conversions from kilos), 2nd attempt-187.4, 3rd attempt-192.8 (a National record).

Deadlift: 1st attempt-308.6, 2nd attempt-330.7 (a National record), 3rd attempt-363 (a World record).

It flies in the face of the recommendation of the coaching instructor to do the minimum to qualify, but I can't resist the temptation to set three records in one meet. Especially a World record. The World record (in my age and weight class) for the bench press is 242. I can't do that yet, but I have made that lift in my earlier meets. Right now my best gym lift is 235. I think I can eke out 7 more pounds in the next year.

Trained Special Olympians tonight at the Marion Golds Gym. John's training has been preempted for a few sessions, along with some leg and hip problems. So we stuck to bench press tonight.

A new trainee showed up tonight though. It was Val. I thought she had a lot of potential, having seen her launch the shot put with barely any knee bend at all. Lot of upper body strength. She had only trained on machines before, free weights were new to her. So she got taken through the bench press, squat, and deadlift. Having to control a bar that is not attached to a cable stack pulley or a hinge is hard and very different until someone gets accustomed to it. She learned fast though, and then got the bar loaded on the bench press an deadlift with a little weight. She got a couple of reps with 95 in the bench press and worked up to 115 in the deadlift. Pretty good for a beginner.

Preparation is everything. Looking ahead to Sunday's powerlifting meet I checked the weather forecast for Tulsa. Hmmm, 90F is predicted. Not to worry, surely that nice looking gym has air conditioning, right?

I suffer greatly in the heat, and although I have set a few records in venues with no A/C or broken A/C, it's really unpleasant. The USPA Raw Nationals in Georgia were the worst. A severe thunderstorm the night before the meet knocked out the A/C and I had to resort to bags of ice on my head in inside my singlet between lift attempts. The Metroplex meet in Long Beach was also a real trial. No A/C at all with 100 lifters and over 300 spectators in the upper 80's. Woof! Same with the California State Championships. I got behind on my hydration and I lost my 2nd attempt in the bench press when my hamstring cramped so hard my foot came off the ground. Bango, 3 red lights for foot movement.

So I sent an email to the meet director asking about A/C. Nope, none. OK then, lots of water, ice, my Frogg Togg chilly pad and the acquisition of a battery operated mini-fan is in order. Gotta weather this somehow.

Playing around with more speed work today, or fartlek, as the Swedes termed it. Bork-bork-bork! Done with 30 seconds intensity and 120 seconds active rest.

The speed bag was broken. AGAIN!* Hence, on to other things. Things like abusing the heavy bag (scared the AFROTC weenies across the way), then 2 sets of 5 with box jumps and medicine ball tosses, 1 set of 5 with a 26 lb. kettle bell for vertical hip hinge swings**, finished with PVC pipe rolling and some different movements to free up my immobile shoulder girdle and improve my external rotation. Bands and dumbbells were involved.

* There is an idiot at the Rec Center who keeps damaging the speed bag. I'd SO like to meet him in person and demonstrate proper striking technique for that bag. And a few other things.

** Kettle bells. I'm not a huge fan of this cult. Another fad imported here and heavily pimped by the rooskies. But then, I decided to break in easy and try them to see if it could add some more oomph to my already strongest lift, the deadlift.

Finally, I completed my hot weather gear prep with a clearance model battery operated misting fan to augment the Frogg Togg Chilly Pad.

Seated Press: 10 dynamic effort speed doubles with 125 with 60 seconds rest between each.

Hammer Row Scapular Retractions: 140 for 3 sets of 12.

More rolling of hamstrings, upper back, and lats with some weighted external rotations and resistance band forced stretching. This is definitely helping. I can now get the bar lower down my back for a better positioned low bar squat on the first try.

Ball Cap.jpg

Beginning Jujitsu class tonight at the Carbondale Park District Life Center. There was supposed to be a new student, sadly a no-show.

Ken, an intermediate student showed up, so we worked some blue belt 2nd degree techniques. These included outside hand and wrist breaker, spinning wrist takedowns, three escapes from headlocks, two thumb takedown techniques (VERY painful), and an escape from a front bear hug. That last has a really unpleasant nerve center attack under the nose that makes the attacker want to do nothing but curl up into a ball. In between, Ken had some good scenarios, questions, and variants of the existing techniques he was taught.

No more lifting, I'm riding the recovery roller coaster into Tulsa. Unless you count the empty bar technique practice.

I warmed up with rowing, the SciFit, and elliptical interspersed with walking between the equipment in the 240,000+ square foot Rec Center. Then squats to depth with a good fast rebound off the bottom, followed by bench presses. The technique of retracting and depressing the scapulae in concert with marshaling some good leg drive is finally coming together. Finished off with deadlifts at old man in the park doing Tai Chi speed. The deadlift has no eccentric element in the lift like the squat and bench press, so many of the reps are grinders. A good session of practice that, proof again that Miyagi say, "Wax on, wax off, Danile-San." works again.

Then rolling and stretching out the external rotators with now a 12 lb. DB. Maybe 15 is needed.

starting strength coach development program
    More easy warm ups to empty bar practice of technique. I also revisited my plan for the meet with worst case scenarios built in for failed 3rd attempts in the squat and deadlift.

Squat: 1st attempt-198, 2nd attempt-220, 3rd attempt- 250.

Bench Press: 1st attempt-176 (metric conversions from kilos), 2nd attempt-192.8 (a National record) 3rd attempt-203.9 (another National record). This is still 30 lbs. than I singled in the gym last month. Piece of cake. I'm saving up for Nationals and Worlds in this lift

Deadlift: 1st attempt-308.6, 2nd attempt-347.2 (a National record), 3rd attempt-363 (a World record).

I bumped up my 3rd attempt in the bench press and 2nd attempt in the deadlift. In event I can't get 250 in the squat, or miss 363 in the deadlift (both of which seem unlikely, but foolhardy not to consider) I will still total 771. The qualifier for Nationals being 769.

Tulsa, here I come!