starting strength gym
Page 495 of 659 FirstFirst ... 395445485493494495496497505545595 ... LastLast
Results 4,941 to 4,950 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    This morning was speed sets, or dynamic effort, or velocity based training. It goes by different names according to who espouses it. It 10 sets of 3 reps with 60 seconds rest between sets with 60% of 1RM moved as fast as could be done.

Bench Press: 10 x 3 with 140.

Hammer High Row: 10 x 3 with 225.

Bench Dips: 10 x 3 with bodyweight.

Rolling and external rotation work.

These speed sets are supposed to be good for cardio. Normally, my slower, heavier work with singles and such nets me 75%-80%+ of maximum heart rate. Today skimmed under that at 69%. Surprising that.
    Interesting Mark. How often do you do speedwork, and do you do them with all lifts?

I just started. My programming plan is to do them every four weeks. Kind of like a 5-3-1 deload but fast. So far, I am going to try them with all main lifts and the accessory lifts. The best explanation I have seen of them, and I looked all over the damn internet, was by Andy Baker in the Barbell Prescription on pages 244-247.

Ball Cap.jpg

Three new kids showed up tonight along with Ken. Thank God. They are all around 10 or so, and Angela as is often the case with girls, was the best in getting the message. Because she paid attention and actually listened. Mason is a typical boy, ping ponging all over the place and chattering away constantly. He'll get it eventually. Gabriel was a very quiet kid who appears to never have done anything physical in his life. Lotta hands on with him. Bless his heart. Everything took a lot of explaining and demonstration.

We only got through warm ups and back and side break falls. But it at least was not chaotic. Kind of fun for all concerned.

Some non-lifting related speed work interspersed with walking and rowing this morning. Box jumps, kettlebell swings, ball toss, rounded off by rolling and external rotation torture.

My 3rd attempt in the deadlift and an unofficial IPL/World record.

Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 09-19-2019 at 11:09 AM.

This was 10 sets with 60 seconds rest between sets with 60% of 1RM moved as fast as could be done.

Deadlifts: 10 x 1 with 250.

Floor Press Lockouts With Ez Curl Bar: 10 x 3 with 100.

Crunches: 3 sets of 5 with 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I just started. My programming plan is to do them every four weeks. Kind of like a 5-3-1 deload but fast. So far, I am going to try them with all main lifts and the accessory lifts. The best explanation I have seen of them, and I looked all over the damn internet, was by Andy Baker in the Barbell Prescription on pages 244-247.
    Thanks Mark
    I will check those pages.

Ball Cap.jpg

Ethan showed up tonight after a long absence. So a lot of review of just a few techniques and getting him calibrated again to the basics of foot and hand movement. I explained the concept of the dynamic sphere as my own teacher taught it. The point is actually where the attacker conjoins or grabs or strikes at the defender, not in the center of the defender. Most of the art of Mushin Ryu has that center as the axis where the counter is applied and the attack is neutralized.

We worked on outside wrist counters with a hand and wrist breaker, also a spinning rear wrist takedown. Then on to escapes and counters to attempted and successful headlocks and finally got to counters for sucker punches from a handshake. Bad counters that take out a hand, wrist, or shoulder in some instances and flatten the attacker on the ground in other instances.

Last bit of speed work for a few weeks, with some "new and improved" accessory lifts incorporated to my routine.

Seated Press: 10 x 3 with 110.

Lateral Raises: Sets of 12 30-50-70.

Calf Raises: 3 sets of 12 with 190.

Rolled and external rotator work.

In other news, my plan to promote powerlifting in Special Olympics seems to be gaining some momentum. DB and I were at a combined birthday party for her and myself and Head Coach Rich at his home on Saturday. Several members of Team Lightning Bolt were talking about committing to powerlifting. I hope Jereth does when flag football season ends. He took 1st place in State at the Summer Games with a 9 meter throw in the shot put and I know he'll put another meter or so on that with some diligent application to lifting. Lucas will be starting to train with me at the Carbondale Gold's Gym tomorrow. This is really good because he lives close and Gold's is only a couple of miles from where I live, at Maison Sur le Lac de Hurling by the Jackson County Country Club.

The Summer Games inspired me to take up the iron again in competition. I had been committed to the Highland Games, but was getting aggravated by a lack of response to queries about events from state and local organizers of such. Early on this year, when DB and I took up with Special Olympics, I was told that powerlifting was dying on the vine. But after a chance to meet and greet with Northern Illinois coaches, I discovered that it was alive and well there. Just gathering cobwebs down South here in Region K. I had already gotten S/O certified as a powerlifting coach a few weeks before, but wanted a better background from which to coach. It seemed to me 3 1/2 hours was something, and not bad in terms of content, but more would be better.

One thing lead to another, hence the USPA coaching certification and a return to lifting in comps. Since I'm an old guy, I figgered my particular special status might make it easier for Special Olympians to relate, since they are in the same boat. I was confident I could place 1st and maybe set a few records, but Tulsa far exceeded my expectations. Getting the Special Olympics Law Enforcement Torch Run license plates with "LIFT" on them was an external marketing and awareness move for the general public. The other things were internal, both for Team Lightning Bolt and Special Olympics motivation and inspiration. What I'd like to do is see a powerlifting coaching certification course for Special Olympics further downstate than more centrally located Bloomington. I suspect that would go some way toward getting more downstate participation in the event. We'll see how this all develops.

I should add, none of this is for or about me. In January of this year, I was in the SIU Rec Center and had just pulled a deadlift of 320, all I was capable of at the time. A couple of the young undergrads chatted me up about lifting at my age. I told them a little about my prior exploits in competition and concluded that after some state and National records and having made it to the USPA/IPL Worlds and taking gold there, I felt I had nothing left to prove. Any more would just be masturbation. But I started this up again for the Special Olympians. I am using what I do and what I am learning as the sizzle in marketing powerlifting for these great folks because I can see what it does for them.

Finally, the Lighting Bolt men and Lightning Bug women won their flag football tourneys in Breese yesterday and are now headed to State. Good going folks!

starting strength coach development program
    I was looking into getting that USPA coaching certification as well. I actually have my first USAPL meet in May next year in my hometown and come hell or high water(literally in my case dealing with another flood) I’m going to do it.

Seeing people like you succeed at advanced age gives me a lot of hope for further sporting success.