starting strength gym
Page 498 of 659 FirstFirst ... 398448488496497498499500508548598 ... LastLast
Results 4,971 to 4,980 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Woof!

What a day. It began with some easy cardio walking OD's dog, Kronk in the 50F cool of the morning. Very invigorating.

Then out to Plane Pull. I had .the benefit of getting a briefing from the guy in charge of the plane. I also availed myself of picking up the hemp cable to be used. Never done anything like this before so I wanted all the information I could gather going in. Kinda like the rehearsal day I took before the Highland Games. The cable was roughly the diameter of my forearm, around 10". Quite a feat of grip, I thought.

The plane proved to be immobile. Nobody could figger out just quite why, it was the same 737 used in past years. Not even the Corrections Monsta Squad could budge it. There were a few teams of lightweights and they asked for some heavier units to help them. Since I'd never done this before, I decided to use the opportunity for a practice run. After about 10 seconds of a mighty static hold and NO discernible movement, my grip was starting to fail. This with some tight and tacky gloves I wear for riding the motorcycle. So that was a learning experience.

So a call went out the Murphysboro Fire Department who brought a fire truck. Much better. We lined up in order with Joe, another Team Lightning Bolt coach and I as the anchors at the far end of the cable. Moved that red rascal right along, although our time for moving it 20 feet was pretty much in the middle of the pack of a record 28 teams.

A fun but tiring time.

Cool that you even tried. Well that plane weights empty between 28-44tons
    And all ready to go between 50-85tons
    Thats heavy!

That particular 737 was said to weigh 60,000 lbs. Still no word on what the issue was. My theory was that it was still full of fuel. It had been used earlier in the week for a Veteran's Honor Flight ferrying WWII, Korean, and Vietnam veterans to DC for a tour of the monuments to those wars and ceremonies honoring them with a grand welcome home when they went wheels down in Illinois. Other theories included brakes on and underinflated tires.

Bench Press: 210 for 5 singles followed by a backoff set of 190 for 7 reps. I rushed this and hadn't recovered from the last single, so I failed to make the minimum 8 reps.

Hammer Row: 325 for 3 sets of 5 followed by a backoff set of 250 for 9 reps.

Bench Dips: Sets of 12, 10-12-15.

Rolled and external rotator work.

More training Special Olympians for powerlifting at the Marion Golds this afternoon. Val and Jereth with Team Lightning Bolt's ace spotter and loader, Jessica, assisting and urging Val to greater efforts.

Some work with the judges commands on a meet lifting platform, although some more concentration on basic form issues are the fundamentals to making a good, safe, and strong lifter. Form, form, and more form is the path to success in the early stages of learning to lift. Attention to the commands will come in time.

I had pored over the Summer Games lifter database and showed them the lifters and the lifts they had to beat for the gold. Both were daunted by the prospects of lifting that much, but with some consistency, effort, and self confidence, they can at least get close, if not exceed the two I showed them.

Good work tonight folks, and thanks again to Jessica.

Always enjoy your posts!

Thanks CP. All I do is describe the latest happenings.

Another session training Special Olympians John and Lucas at the Carbondale Golds Gym this morning. John was working his way up to his past top weights in all his lifts.

Lucas pleasantly surprised me with some good recovery of past top lifts having not lifted for over a year. In fact, he managed to exceed his own best bench press in competition in Golds this morning.

Great going guys!

Some speed work with box jumps, kettle bell swings, and medicine ball tosses. Interspersed with the rower, speed bag, SciFit, and flailing away the heavy bag. Finished by rolling and rotator work.

starting strength coach development program
    Deadlift: 325 for 5 singles with a backoff set of 290 for 5 reps.

Hip Belt Squat: Sets of 12, 135-155-175.

Swiss Bar Lockouts: Sets of 5, 85-95-105. I decided to try these again with a parallel hand grip position. Much better.

Crunches: 75 for 12 reps. I'd planned on 2 more sets but was gassed.

I got a glancing blow from the flu or a cold or something a few days back that has left me drowsy and sneezy and coughing fits at odd moments. Oh, and talking like a pirate. It's mostly passed now, but with some lingering fatigue. Which wasn't bad enough to keep me out of the gym, but has taken a toll on me. DB has it much worse with aches and far more congestion.