starting strength gym
Page 499 of 659 FirstFirst ... 399449489497498499500501509549599 ... LastLast
Results 4,981 to 4,990 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ball Cap.jpg

Just Gabriel showed up tonight with his father. He forgot his white belt. Ethan finally showed up after all his busy high school activities too.

I added the 10 part star set to the warmup tonight. This is a stepping drill and Gabriel did pretty well, better in fact than older kids have ever done. He's 7 years old and then got through the escapes from chokes with ease, even though this was the first time he had been taught them. We then started over at the top of the escapes from grabs which he did reasonably well at with a little aid to memory like demonstration first. He has picked up the stepping portions of these techniques like no newbie I have taught so far. Better than I did as an adult in fact.

Sadly, he is still 7 years old and was flagging 40 minutes into the lesson. With a few minutes left in the hour session I asked him to try a technique on his other side. He hung his head and said he was tired. This little guy had put his whole heart into this up to then so I asked him if he wanted to have the lesson end, if it was OK with his father. Dad gets a vote obviously, since he pays for the lessons. Dad chuckled and said he'd had a long day.

So, we bowed out with some praise for his hard work and a report of his progress to his father. Gabriel has some good potential if he stays the course.

The deadlifts, and particularly the backoff set, seem to have taxed my lumbars this morning. So it was mainly upper body stuff with arms only SciFit and rower, speed bag, medicine ball toss, heavy bag drill, rolling and rotator work. Then home and into the Jacuzzi to beat the tension out of the back. Still feeling a little out of it, naps yesterday helped and are a likely thing today as well. DB is still having heavy weather from this gluck going around. Weekend plans are unlikely to occur at this point.

Cool to have a Jacuzzi at home!

The hip belt squats may be a contributing factor in your recovery. When I do high rep leg exercises it leaves my lower body feeling like jelly with lots of lingering fatigue. Or it could just be that you are getting OLD!

Quote Originally Posted by 57bergstrm View Post
    Cool to have a Jacuzzi at home!
    You bet it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_L View Post
    The hip belt squats may be a contributing factor in your recovery. When I do high rep leg exercises it leaves my lower body feeling like jelly with lots of lingering fatigue. Or it could just be that you are getting OLD!
    Could be, but they don't seem to tax my lumbars at all when I do them. As for my quads, well, I have started to notice them too in the last few hours. As for the old part, there's no denying that fact. heh-heh.

Seated Press: 160 for 5 singles followed by a backoff set of 140 for 8 reps.

Cable Handle Pulldowns: Sets of 12, 80-60-60. I underestimated the difficulty of these and backed off the weight. These involve taking handles on two facing cable pulley stacks and pulling inward and backward. I'm hoping this will create more balance and pull my shoulders back more.

Lateral Raise: Sets of 12, 90-95-95.

Calf Raise: Sets of 12, 210-215-220.

Ball Cap.jpg

Ken, Emma, and Ethan showed for the intermediate class. Ken is getting close to promotion to purple belt. We began by alternating between Emma's blue belt and Ethan and Ken's blue belt 2nd degree swapping between Ken and Ethan as crash dummies for demonstration and the attacker for Emma. I got one technique crossed up and had to back up and fix my teaching. Obviously still a little congestion affecting my higher brain functions. As we progressed it became apparent Ken and Ethan needed a review of the blue belt techniques as well, so we concentrated on them and left off on the 2nd degree techniques. Emma's stepping needed some work to get her positioned properly for effective execution of the techniques. As I continue to teach, I am learning still more about the importance of how to step and move. It's one thing to try to fix your own technique to the satisfaction of your teacher(s), but it's quite another to instruct someone with no other senior teacher to rely on for backup.

A walk in the 38F morning lead off the day. Huuge temperature drop with the cold front that finally pushed out Summer.

Had a pleasant drive to Cape Girardeau, MO for what turned out to be a Tae Kwon Do (TKD) tournament, mostly. Not my favorite martial art, but my friend the Isshin Ryu Karate guy Chris had a student, Isaac, competing in. Lotsa standing water still along IL-3 and the mighty Mississippi on the way there and a lot of beautiful white Egrets wading around. The sports plex was a right turn on (how appropriate!) Limbaugh Lane off Kingshighway in Cape. Just a little humor to get the morning kick started. So to speak.

Isaac did VERY well in the forms (kata) competition. He came in 2nd and IMO, should have been 1st given his focus, power, and extension of technique. Everyone else just came off as solo dancers. With Isaac, you visualize the adversaries from his eye focus. But then, he's a Shotokan Karate guy and did one of those katas. A judge complimented him and said he was very good, even if it was a kata he was not familiar with. This was his first competition in anything ever. He's in his late 20's. His sparring didn't go as well. He was penalized for grabbing the leg of his adversary when the dope left his leg hanging out there too long. A big no-no for TKD, and one of the reasons I give it short shrift.

The Hapkido consisted not of sparring, I was informed by officials. Rather two person forms with an attacker and defender executing attacks and counters. Pretty much the way I learned and now teach Mushin Ryu. The techniques were very similar to Mushin Ryu. One being close to a spinning wrist rear takedown from a hand grab which is taught to blue belt 2nd degrees. Another being an ulna press takedown arm bar from a straight punch by the attacker. Then there was a double wrist grab attack that worked into an over the shoulder arm break which was nearly identical to the technique for 2nd degree blue belts. But it finished with the arm break followed by a shoulder/hip throw. Something that would devastate the attacker's arm from wrist to shoulder and likely permanently. What's interesting about that finish is that although it wasn't taught to me in Mushin Ryu, I partially demonstrated it to Ken and Ethan as a possibility.

The drive home along IL-127 was also nice. I saw a big bobcat loping uphill along the road. Looked to be about 50 lbs.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat: 250 for 5 singles followed by a backoff set of 8 with 195. A trainer asked me how old I was and if he could video my squats. Sho nuff.

Cable Hammer Curls: Sets of 12, 150-160-170.

Reverse Hyperextensions: Sets of 12, 45-50-55.

Rolling and rotator work. I slept wrong and am afflicted with a sore left shoulder.