starting strength gym
Page 504 of 659 FirstFirst ... 4404454494502503504505506514554604 ... LastLast
Results 5,031 to 5,040 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    No lifting today because of trigger finger surgery. I thought maybe it would be scheduled for later, but 6:30 a.m. it was, so getting in one last session before some forced recovery.

Pre-op nurses and anesthesiologist were funny and soothing. I thought the procedure would be done with a local, but in fact was what was described as light slumber. In went the IV and in less than a minute while chatting as I was being wheeled in to the OR, I was waking up again in post-op. The nurses in post-op were funny too, but dry and ironic and business-like to wake me up and get me moving. The woozies went away in about 10 minutes although a few elements of my brain weren't quite firing all the way to my feet and knees quite well as usual for another 45 minutes or so.

I got a scrip for some pain, but my hand and finger and the incision feel just fine. No meds required.

Kudos to the Orthodpedic Institute and Dr. Young and his team. Anyone with this problem should get it dealt with sooner rather than later.

Hope the hand heals quality quickly. Any hand therapy prescribed?

I'm feeling a little stiffness around the upper knuckles and sides of my middle finger, and just a little discomfort on the incision. Otherwise, I can make a good tight fist with only a little pressure. No therapy though. Which is fine with me.

The morning started with Special Olympics athletics training. Which was mainly track and field. Including the mini javelin. I was there primarily for the shot put. Fairly informative and it afforded me the chance to meet coaches from other teams.

Then off to lift.

Seated Press: 160 for 7 singles followed up with a backup set with 140 for 4 reps.

Lateral Raise: 105 for 3 sets of 12.

Cable Pulldowns: Sets of 12, 70-80-90.

Calf Raise: Sets of 12, 245-255-265.

Bench Press: 210 for 8 singles followed by a backoff set of 190 for 6 reps.

Hammer Row: 335 for 3 sets of 5.

Cable Pressdowns: Sets of 5, 150-155-160.

Rolled and external rotator work.

The corticosteroids they IV'd into me for surgery were ping ponging my sleep and weight. Happily, it seems to be metabolizing off the last two days. My finger and grip continues to improve, albeit with some lingering stiffness.

Sounds like it is headed in the right direction. Hope that continues.

I am confident it will. Things continue to improve apace.

Back to some speed based conditioning. Speed bag, box jumps, medicine ball toss, heavy bag, rower. Rolling and rotators.

Striking does not hurt the finger now, not even the open palm stuff, which I was a little concerned about.

Ball Cap.jpg

A new student showed tonight, Gabby, Gabriel's sister, along with DW, and Gabriel himself. This required starting from scratch with a newbie again with falls and drills. All things considered, it went well enough. Gabby had some trouble with falls, but picked up the blocking and striking drills pretty quickly. DW has some attention issues to overcome, but does well when he's got his eyes on the technique being demonstrated.

starting strength coach development program
    Deadlifts: 325 for 8 singles. Had a little trouble with these, probably because I was rushing my rest between sets somewhat and trying not to take too deep a hook grip and pull out my sutures. So the bar ended up to far out in the fingers of my right hand and compromised the security of my grip slightly. As it happened, it looks like my sutures broke anyway. Ah well, the incision looked healed over anyway and my hand and finger is still doing well.

Hip Belt Squats: Sets of 5, 205-215-225.

Swiss Bar Lockouts: Sets of 5, 135-145-155.