starting strength gym
Page 505 of 659 FirstFirst ... 5405455495503504505506507515555605 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,050 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A mish-mosh of stuff today I haven't done much lately, speed bag, prowler, SciFit, Jacobs Ladder, crunches*, and heavy bag. Rolling and rotators.

Despite gaining some weight from the last month or so of corticosteroids, I haven't let out the belts on my pants or my lifting belt. I gotta believe that since that's the case, I'm adding more lean body mass and not fat. I'll see in a couple of weeks when I test my 1RM's in another mock meet.

Also, I am having a fierce internal debate over whether or not to enter the Illinois State Drug Tested Championships in February at Peru, IL. I already set the state records and qualified for Nationals, but I'd like to test my squat performance with judges.

*I forgot to hit crunches when I was lifting yesterday. So sets of 5 with 100.

Ball Cap.jpg

A full house of intermediate students tonight, Ken, Ethan, Jacob, and Emma. So two blue belts, a blue belt 2nd degree, and a purple belt. Time to get out the juggling skills to teach three belt levels at the same time.

I thought it was a little chaotic, but they all seemed to thrive on the transition from one technique at one level to another. It also illustrated to them as well as myself the building complexity of the lower ranking techniques into the more advanced upper rank techniques. Jacob continues to improve, although I have to spend some extra time going over what some aspects of language means and how that translates into the movements he needs to make.

Seated Press: 160 for 8 singles followed by a backoff set of 7 reps. EZ-PZ. Here's hoping this bodes well for a 242 bench press, which would be a world record in my current age and weight class.

Lateral Raise: 110 for 3 sets of 8.

Cable Pulldown: 90 for 3 sets of 12.

Calf Raises: 265 for 3 sets of 12. Changing these to calf presses going forward. Easier to load and unload in the leg press.

Rounds today of speed bag, box jumps and medicine ball toss both for 2 sets of 5, heavy bag, SciFit, finished off with rolling and rotator work.

John was the only Special Olympian to show up at the Marion Gold's this evening. We had to do a lot of work around from the ideal progression of squat, bench, and deadlift, as the squat rack was in use as was the deadlift platform at the start of the session. It required some juggling, but it all got done. Lotta work ahead.

More of the striking sets and plenty of them. Speed bag, long bag (low kicks, knee kicks and foot sweeps), headache bag (uppercuts, vertical fists), interspersed with Jacob's Ladder, and elliptical, rolling and rotator work.

The sutures are out, praise be. My hand and finger feels really good and there is very little scarring around the incision.

Lucas, another Special Olympian, got some coaching at the Carbondale Gold's Gym. I picked an easy day to break him back into the groove. He and Team Lightning Bolt have had some big wins the last few weeks, what with winning state in flag football and other triumphs.

His form is very good, requiring little to no correction or coaching. The main thing I think with him is programming his training effectively. Like the others I train, I have him using a 5-3-1 routine. It's conservative, but allows for some strong steady increases to get his poundages up for another win. The last time he competed he won a gold in the Summer Games in Bloomington a couple of years ago.

A cycle of dynamic effort/deload/speed sets.

Squats: 195 for 10 sets of 2.

Cable Hammer Curls: 140 for 3 sets of 12.

Reverse Hyperextension: 40 for 3 sets of 12.

Ball Cap.jpg

DW was the only white belt tonight, but Ken and Ethan were there. I decided to mix all three belt levels again like last Friday to give DW a look at things to come if he stays with Jujitsu. It went pretty well, in fact DW's dad seemed interested in starting the class as he observed.

starting strength coach development program
    A breezy, dark, rainy morning. Not inspiring, but off to the Rec Center where DB and I watched the AFROTC boys and girls coming out having completed their morning PT's in their stylish blue with reflective diagonal gray striped warmups.

Since my back and legs were a little whacked from squats I went for an upper body focus. Speed bag, rower, handball, heavy bag, clap push ups, finishing with rolling and rotator work.