starting strength gym
Page 507 of 659 FirstFirst ... 7407457497505506507508509517557607 ... LastLast
Results 5,061 to 5,070 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    More "active rest" taking it easier through rounds of conditioning. Rower, speed bag, heavy bag, elliptical, interspersed with lots of walking, and finished off with rolling and rotator stretches.

Trained John and Jereth tonight at the Marion Gold's. Jereth's squat and bench press form continues to improve incrementally with a few things to polish up and he showed a lot of courage in his last set of squats, attempting a heavier weight than he was used to. He came up just fine, even though with some extra effort required. John's strength continues to improve. The one problem tonight was that the deadlift platform and heavier knurled bar were in use. So they had to use a smoother bar which was harder to hold on to. If this happens again, I'm going to search the gym for a better knurled bar. The attendant stress for the lifters was not easy to work around.

I made an arbitrary decision to test my 1RM's on Tuesday last night, so after some restless sleep, I was up before dawn anticipating the best of all possible outcomes. As the Sun came up, I could see it was glorious in the East. It required a drive on Route 13 to watch it reflect on Crab Orchard Lake.

Once in the gym, I indulged every superstition I have developed from lifting. Lucky red socks, making sure I only used the black Rogue barbell collars (and applied facing outwards), along with the white lettered 5 and 2 1/2 lb. plates.

Squat: 1st attempt-250, 2nd attempt-285 (a 5 lb. increase from the last 1RM test), 3rd attempt-290. The last one not too hard, maybe 5-10 or more lbs. possible, but I'll take what incremental improvements I can get.

Bench Press: 1st attempt-210, 2nd attempt-240 and a fail. Good thing I had a spotter, it only got a few inches off my chest. More work is required. I moved on with no 3rd attempt. Next time.

Deadlift: 1st attempt-320, 2nd attempt-370 (a 7 lb. increase from 363 in the Tulsa meet), 3rd attempt-375. The last one had my legs shaking a little on the lockout but once again, more is in store.

Assuming I can still bench 235, which seems quite doable, I'll go with a total of 900 in my capabilities. As Meatloaf so memorably intoned, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Hey Mark, it looks like you're on your way to moving up in the world rankings. As you may remember, I haven't competed since 2015 when I lost Maureen. Right now, I'm relatively healthy and making steady progress again. I checked the rankings you linked for my own class, and I should be able to crack the top 10 myself, at my State meet in April. Gotta say it gave me a little boost to see that, and now I'm seriously thinking about trying to make my National meet, and possibly even the World's next year. I lift in the WNPFPL, and my past records are now listed among the "historical" records. Look for Sedorus at 198 in the 55-59 and 60-64. I'd like one successful year I could dedicate to my girl. Best of luck with your lifting in 2020, John

Will do John, and thank you.

Ball Cap.jpg

Gabriel, his sister Gabrielle, and DW were there tonight with Ken showing up a little late to assist in teaching. DW is developing into a natural. You wouldn't think it to look at him, he doesn't seem athletic, but he moves well and when he's not busy being a 10 year old distracted boy he picks up the instruction quite well. Gabriel does well too, but he seemed distracted tonight, probably the holiday season and festivities and impending gifts on his mind. His sister had trouble focusing as well. She needed a lot of hands on correction to get her to model the techniques as they are performed. But then this is kind of foreign territory for many girls her age. Not everyone is a young tigress like Emma.

Some conditioning with a few other things tossed in. Box jumps, speed bag, medicine ball toss, were the conditioning elements. In between, I fooled around with dips and some bench press lockout positioning in the power rack. These latter in an effort to improve my bench press with some assistance lifts.

I also discovered that one of the squat stands on the lifting platform could be repositioned to move the uprights inward. Lifters who squat in a powerlifting meet have a couple of options for the racks involved. One is the height of the rack and the other is whether the racks are in (closer together) or out (normal width for most lifters). Some lifters who have wide and/or immobile shoulders prefer the racks in because it allows them to place their hands wider on the bar and not get those hands or fingers crunched when replacing the bar. I'm one of them, and have been less than happy with the standard width of power racks everywhere. Now, this problem seems solved. Of course I will need to stack some Samson lifting blocks on either side as safety catches in the event of a lift failure, but they got plenty of those at the Rec Center.

Just marking time with conditioning until I get back under the iron next Monday. Speed bag today, with some kettlebell swings, clap pushups, and heavy bag combinations, concluded with some stretching.

I started rearranging the squat stands on platform 2 in the West Weight Room this morning, moving them inward to allow my hands a wider grip placement with no hazard to my delicate little fingers re-racking the bar. Also, I brought in a tape measure to get a good height for the Samson blocks to place under the plates as a safety precaution if I have to bail with a squat attempt gone bad.

An early Christmas gift from John one of the Special Olympians I coach. Gotta love it.

starting strength coach development program
    Ball Cap.jpg

Emma and Jacob showed tonight. I had decided to teach something different than the rank appropriate techniques tonight, thinking that Ken and Ethan could get some benefit from it and maybe with some spillover to Emma and Jacob. Since they didn't show, I thought, why not go ahead? The teaching tonight was to be a practical, rather than a traditional, defensive stance and some defense against ground work attacks. I decided to not go with the ground stuff since it neither Emma nor Jacob had the background to learn it.

Sadly it seemed mostly a waste of time. They had a harder time than usual getting focused. Holiday hangover I guess. I showed them how to hold up their hands at chin level with palms out. No way does it look aggressive or anything but a placatory posture. In fact, the hands are in an ideal position to deflect, counter, and/or strike and get a wrist or arm lock on an incoming attack. Captured on video, a defender using the stance and hands looks just like that, a defender. they were too young to get the importance of any of it, so I gave up and started back into the blue belt techniques of their rank.