starting strength gym
Page 509 of 659 FirstFirst ... 9409459499507508509510511519559609 ... LastLast
Results 5,081 to 5,090 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This morning was the first time I've been able to train one of the Special Olympians, Lucas by name. Yesterday's dicey weather had me call in to beg off last night's training, a 20 some odd mile drive each way to Marion seemed like not the best idea, especially the return trip in the dark with freezing rain and even dicier road conditions possible.

So, off to the Carbondale Golds is was. Lucas has good fundamental form, his other Special Olympic athletic endeavors trumped his ability to train for a week or so, and this was a light re-entry session. I had a few minor suggestions on his form, some of which didn't feel right for him as we discussed how his set felt during the rest intervals. Little things like toe flare for squats and hand width spacing for the bench press and keeping the bar in close to his legs once it gets above the knee.

A good return to lifting session for him.

Squats: 260 for 5 singles.

Hammer Cable Curls: Sets of 12, 210-215-220.

Reverse Hyperextensions: Sets of 12, 75-80.

I think I have found the cure for my foot issues. New hiking boots. My heel and ankle are starting to feel better already.

Odds and ends today on the elliptical, speed bag, prowler, rower, Jacob's Ladder, heavy bag, finishing with the foam roller for my back and hamstring stretches.

Bench Press: 215 for 5 singles. *

Swiss Bar Lockouts: Sets of 5, 165-170-175.

Hammer Row: Sets of 5, 345-345-345.

Rolled and hamstring stretch along with a 25 lb. plate shoulder stretch.

*I added a pull up to the bar as I set myself back in to this. After watching a video of someone doing this in a competition, I realized it's value in getting the lower back set in an arch which better raises the chest and shortens the range of motion an inch or more. It took some concentration to do this and then retract and depress my scapulae, but practice will get it all together.

Ball Cap.jpg

Ken and Jacob showed up tonight. I had planned some change of pace from the rote review, practice, and polishing of their respective rank techniques and this time it went reasonably well.

I had them working on defensive stances with hands up and palms out. Between Ken and I, we kept Jacob in focus tonight, which is not always easy to do.

From there, we worked on countering a rear collar grab and pull. The counter is not taught in Mushin Ryu, but some counters to similar attacks are taught and I decided to try to adapt them to this attack. The trick is to go with the grab and spin into the attacker. Depending on the arm used to grab and pull, the defender either encircles the attacker's arm in a figure four arm lock and take down or drags their arm at the elbow across the body in a very painful shoulder bar that can tear some important muscles in the shoulder girdle irreparably.

Finally, I had them working on counters to attacks that took them to the ground. Simple stuff, like side rolls to an attempt to mount that result in an arm bar between the knees. Nearly impossible to get out of once it's locked in. Always being certain to keep the attacker's elbow out of the defender's groin of course. That doesn't end well. Also a deflection of an attempt at ground and pound that sends the attacker rolling off to the side and set up for an ax kick to the body while supine.

A good way to finish the year.

Deadlift: 335 for 5 singles.

Dips: Sets of 5, bodyweight+10-15-20. I'm doing these from the bottom rather than starting at extended arms at the top and rebounding out of bottom.

Box Squat: 150 for 8 sets of 2.

It's going to be a week of catch as catch can with respect to working out. The Rec Center doesn't open until 4 pm, which had me lifting yesterday, since I will be training Special Olympians at Gold's this afternoon and doing both seemed a little too tricky in terms of scheduling and logistics.

This morning it was nice walk along the Chautauqua Bottoms trail between Chautauqua Rd. and Sunset Dr. on the West edge of Carbondale. Last time it was Spring with lots of green leafy darkness and now just into Winter with stark trunks and branches against the sunrise. Not the plethora of birds out either. Other than the hawks, which seem to appear from nowhere this time of year. I'm not sure if they are always around in the numbers seen in the Fall and Winter, or the lack of leaves just make them easier to see.

Val showed up tonight for training Special Olympians at the Marion Gold's. She had a lot of courage, because she wasn't fully recovered from some health issues that had kept her from training. So we went light tonight. Her squat form remained good and her form in the bench press had actually improved. A good quick session that she did well with the iron.

Good going Val!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    It's going to be a week of catch as catch can with respect to working out. The Rec Center doesn't open until 4 pm, which had me lifting yesterday, since I will be training Special Olympians at Gold's this afternoon and doing both seemed a little too tricky in terms of scheduling and logistics.

This morning it was nice walk along the Chautauqua Bottoms trail between Chautauqua Rd. and Sunset Dr. on the West edge of Carbondale. Last time it was Spring with lots of green leafy darkness and now just into Winter with stark trunks and branches against the sunrise. Not the plethora of birds out either. Other than the hawks, which seem to appear from nowhere this time of year. I'm not sure if they are always around in the numbers seen in the Fall and Winter, or the lack of leaves just make them easier to see.
    Pictures please?

starting strength coach development program
    And I wish you a merry christmas Mark.