Page 513 of 659 FirstFirst ... 13413463503511512513514515523563613 ... LastLast
Results 5,121 to 5,130 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Deadlift: 335 for 8 singles.

Box Squats: 150 for 8 doubles.

Dips: Sets of 5, 20-25-30. Done from dead stop at the bottom for each rep.

Full complement of Special Olympian trainees tonight with Jereth making a return along with Val and John. I worked on how to plant the feet and use the arch hip thrust to shorten the range of motion in the bench press along with adding a percentage of upward motion to the loaded bar with Val and Jereth. Some real work ahead for all of them, and me too to be an effective coach for them. Qualifiers for the Summer Games in a few months.

Back to some conditioning/speed work now that my foot is good to go. Rower, speed bag, handball, 2 sets of 3 with medicine ball toss and box jump, heavy bag. Finished with foam rolling hamstrings and back.

More Special Olympian training today, this time Lucas.

Since he hadn't lifted for a while he did a break-in routine of sets of 5 with 40%-50%-60% of 1RM to get back in the groove. His usual very good form only required a little fine tuning, including a slightly more narrow grip in the bench press and adjusting his eyeline and neck position in the deadlift.

The former being important for less moment arm and less potential for shoulder problems downstream. The latter to achieve better spinal alignment to allow for a stronger pull. Looking up in the squat or deadlift can misalign the spine and weaken the CNS output. I learned the importance of this additionally from Jujitsu. A twisted spine weakens the balance, posture, and strength making a throw, takedown, or other counter more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Looking up in the squat or deadlift can misalign the spine and weaken the CNS output. I learned the importance of this additionally from Jujitsu. A twisted spine weakens the balance, posture, and strength making a throw, takedown, or other counter more effective.
    Thats an interesting remark.

Some examples of misaligning the spine causing weakness:

Someone lying on their side that you are trying to get in an arm lock resists by flexing his arm across his stomach. You get behind him while keeping a hold of his right wrist with your right hand. Put your left hand on the side of his head and pump it downward a few times. This weakens his right arm and you put his arm behind his back in a hammerlock.

Someone throws a straight right punch at you. You step to the left and deflect the punch with both hands. Grab his right wrist with your right hand from slightly beside and behind him and pull. At the same time step to your left with your left foot and extend the back of your left open hand upward and backward under his jaw pushing his head backward and in a counterclockwise circle. His neck at that point is cocked upward and corkscrewed. His balance is compromised backward and his twisted neck compromises his ability to exert strength.

There are plenty of other examples, and all of them come from the same place that Starting Strength does with respect to keeping the spine aligned to exert strength in the most effective manner possible.

Thanks Mark, Thats interesting knowledge. Might come in handy sometime.

Glad to help.

Seated Press: 165 for 7 singles. I managed to lose count in my progression with deadlifts and do 8 singles. Another reason to pay closer attention to what you write down in your routine plan.

Lateral Raise: 20 for 3 sets of 12.

Cable Pulldowns: Sets of 12, 70-75-80.

Calf Press: Sets of 12, 270-290-310.

Foam rolling of hamstrings and back followed by quad and hamstring stretches.

Another GREAT morning lifting. I had a much better than usual night's sleep of over 9 hours so, which I am sure was a contributor to this. Every lift felt easy, especially the seated presses and the calf presses.

OTOH, I managed to bash the back of my left hand. It didn't hurt, but it took off a dime sized piece of skin which bled more than seemed likely. Not even some chalk would staunch it, and that normally works pretty well, you just have to scoop some powder from the chalk bowl rather than apply a chunk to the cut because that leaves a blood stained piece of chalk behind. Which is a major ick factor for others discovering it later. The first aid kit in the West weight room was out of band aids so I went to the lobby reception desk and asked the nice young lady with the stunning smile and a hijab for one. That low dose aspirin may be good for preventing our geezer heart and stroke problems, but the attendant thinning of the blood can make delayed clotting a real pain in the rear.

starting strength coach development program
    Ball Cap.jpg

A couple of new kids tonight, Avery and Seth, along with assistance from Ken and Ethan in teaching. Seth is a sweet quiet boy who seems much in need of some self preservation techniques. Avery is deceptive. He's a good kid too who appears shy but in fact has some real skills already in self defense instilled by his father and who picks up teaching of movement really fast. Faster than anyone I've taught so far. Ken seems to have a real talent with kids and Ethan is patient, but he's a teen age boy and gets a little scattered sometimes.

We stuck to the basics of warmups, falls, and a few escape from grabs techniques. In between, I had them work on elbow strikes, back fist, and hammer fist strikes on the striking dummy. Seth was new to striking, but he came up to speed reasonably well. Avery had some good questions to ask, as did Seth's mother who observed the entire class.

Altogether one of the best classes so far.