starting strength gym
Page 516 of 659 FirstFirst ... 16416466506514515516517518526566616 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,160 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ball Cap.jpg

My problem students redeemed themselves tonight. Jacob led off with an unprompted (at least by me) apology to Emma for Wednesday. Emma, it must be admitted could have been a little more gracious, so I suggested she thank Jacob for his apology. Then I shook his hand and told him I was proud of his manners.

Before we got into specific techniques I told them we would be working on how a cell phone could be used as an improvised weapon in self defense. Emma piped up that maybe her earbud connector wires and maybe her chopsticks that she got for Christmas (and carries everywhere) could be used too. So we did some things with all of them to block strikes, use as wedging levers on the wrist for grabs, and as a striking weapon themselves.

The I had Ethan take Emma and Jacob to work on blue belt techniques while I taught Ken through the purple belt course. I wanted to cement Ethan's status as a teacher to them and see of they were going to act up again. They were fine.

Purple belt is a big transition in this art where the student is introduced to some very different and new techniques and concepts. Also using previously learned techniques in the lower belts in combination with each other into 2 and 3 part flows of blocks, counters, joint locks, and takedowns. Ken learned about moving inside the kick on a spinning back kick with a hip to shoulder body check. The attacker gets knocked back a step or 2 and maybe all the way to the ground depending on the timing and power used to deliver the check. We also got into a couple of takedowns from the ground. I don't advocate ground fighting, it's crazy when multiple assailants might be involved, and that is ALWAYS a possibility to consider. But you can trip, or get taken down yourself and end up on the ground. So get up ASAP if you can. If you can't, Ken learned how to roll into an incoming standing attacker and take him down to the rear or take him down into a face plant. A good end to this week.

Woof!

Yesterday took it's toll on me. First singles 7 through 9 in the deadlift taxed my lumbars significantly. Then taking some falls so Ken could learn the takedowns last night in Jujitsu put paid to them. I tossed and turned all night with some moderate back miseries. This was compounded by devils breaking out of the dungeon of my deep subconscious where I had diligently compartmented them away and flooding my mind. Not a good night's sleep. (yawn)

So today I set out to spare my lumbars and exorcise those not so little devils with an all striking bag routine. These affect my back almost not at all. Multiple rounds of speed bag, beach ball sized headache bag for uppercuts, long bag for sweeps including knee kicks and stomps and back kicks, heavy bag for really hard pummeling of with straight fist and hammer fist and open hand strikes. In short, the complete repertoire of useful strikes I know from the various forms of Karate I practiced as well as Jujitsu.

Hey Mark, I was away for a long time, but since I got back I noticed a pattern in your training. I looked back over the last few months and noticed most of your work is centered around numerous singles. This wouldn't by any chance be based on Doug Hepburn's training methods, would it? I've actually been brushing up on his methods lately myself, and considering giving it a try. You seem to be progressing pretty well with the method...I'd be interested in hearing more about what you think of it. Also, when is your next meet? I'm still having trouble with my back since a slip on the ice on Christmas Eve, but I'm still managing to progress, ever so slowly.

Ding-ding ding! We have a winnah!

Yes, this is a Hepburn routine and it's going pretty well for me. My bench press is lagging a little, but then I AM 69, and as much as I may deplore it, I may never get back to my best in competition, 242. It seems a good balance between volume and intensity, for me at least. I supplement volume in the main lifts with assistance lifts for my weak links.

My next meet is June 14, the USPA Drug Tested Nationals in Columbus, OH. I qualified for them at a meet in Tulsa this past September. I am confident I'll qualify for the USPA/IPL Drug Tested Worlds later in 2020. By then I'll be in the 70-74 age class, and I know I'll set a bench press record in that age group.

Seated Press: 165 for 9 singles. These seemed not at all difficult, and may be a portent of hitting a 240+ bench press. (sigh, if only) While not a lift I compete in, they can be a good driver to improve the bench press.

Lateral Raises: 15 for 3 sets of 12. I dropped down from 20 to see if they felt better. Nope. They seem to want to provoke some tendinitis in my A/C joint. I may drop these. They are strictly for vanity delt development anyway.

Cable Pulldowns: Sets of 12, 80-82-85. My anterior delts grumped about these too. More ammunition for dropping lateral raises.

Calf Press: Sets of 12, 370-380-400. Once my feet and footwear got sorted out and quit barking at me, these have taken off with no sign of stalling soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Ding-ding ding! We have a winnah!

Yes, this is a Hepburn routine and it's going pretty well for me. My bench press is lagging a little, but then I AM 69, and as much as I may deplore it, I may never get back to my best in competition, 242. It seems a good balance between volume and intensity, for me at least. I supplement volume in the main lifts with assistance lifts for my weak links.

My next meet is June 14, the USPA Drug Tested Nationals in Columbus, OH. I qualified for them at a meet in Tulsa this past September. I am confident I'll qualify for the USPA/IPL Drug Tested Worlds later in 2020. By then I'll be in the 70-74 age class, and I know I'll set a bench press record in that age group.
    Thanks Mark, I thought so, and it's good to hear it's working well for you! I won't be surprised at all if you get back to your best BP with it.

I've read a lot about Hepburn and his methods over the years...he definitely knew what he was doing. Your own progress has me convinced I should give it a go sometime this year, probably after my meet on April 18. I know Hepburn was still confident of his methods even at an advanced age, and he had the strength to prove it. I think we'll both be re-writing our respective record books this year, thanks again, Fifty

Glad to help.

Tonight was training Special Olympians Jereth, Lucas, and John at the Carbondale Gold's. All three are multi-sport athletes and spent the weekend at an indoor softball tournament that their team won. So I decided go for a light day in case they were a little drawn from the event.

John and Lucas displayed their usual near flawless form in the lifts. They have a few minor issues that need attention and correction but overall very solid lifters. Jereth distinguished himself tonight having gotten his foot placement in the squat worked out and right in line on all of his warmup and work sets. This is a big step forward (as it were) for him. I am very proud of him and told him so.

I wash awash in sore places last night. My feet, my right shoulder, and my lumbars. No idea why they all ganged up on me at once. Maybe the warm rainy front that blew in last night. Who knows?

Today was stuff that wouldn't affect my feet. The other stuff was tolerable. Arms only SciFit and rower, speed bag, medicine ball toss, heavy bag, and finished with foam rolling and stretching.

starting strength coach development program
    Deload/Speed/Dynamic Effort Week

Squat: 210 for 10 singles.

Cable Hammer Curls: 190 for 3 sets of 3.

Hard roller for hamstrings and foam roller for back.