starting strength gym
Page 517 of 659 FirstFirst ... 17417467507515516517518519527567617 ... LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,170 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ball Cap.jpg

Seth showed up and so did Avery. He had been sick his mom told me. Both of these kids are ideal students because they listen, which is rare in boys at all, let alone at their ages. They are also quick learners on physical techniques. Some people got it and some don't.

Ken and Ethan both showed up too, so I asked Ken to teach the new kids while I did a refresher with Ethan on blue belt 2nd degree techniques. He remembered most of them reasonably well but needs some specific work on the spinning rear wrist takedown and the bar arm takedown. More wax on/wax off. Ken did well with the kids and I had them thank him at the end of class as I did too for allowing me to work with Ethan to prepare him for promotion to purple belt.

Feet and other aches have relented for now, praise be. So conditioning was a breeze. Rounds of prowler, speed bag, 2 sets of 3 with the medicine ball and box jumps, crunches, heavy bag, and handball. Then rolling and stretching.

Deload/Speed/Dynamic Effort Week

Spotto Press: 140 for 10 triples.

Hammer Row: 270 for 10 triples.

Rolling and stretching.

Another night of dreams straight out of Hieronymus Bosch. Really scrambled my sleep, which struck me as odd at O-dark 30 when I forced myself awake to clear out my memory cache and wall off that lava flow. Some troubling things seem to on the road to resolution and I should have slept the sleep of the innocent. Ah well. Oh, and also some really painful aches in my left knee and right shoulder. No idea why, but MAN(!) did they hurt. Neither of which helped my sleep either until I took something for them. The knee is now fine, but the shoulder pain has retreated, albeit not gone entirely, to some grumbling corner on the scale of discomfort.

Guess that would be a good time to go change the oil on the lawnmower!

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Guess that would be a good time to go change the oil on the lawnmower!
    Ha! Yeah, it just might have been a little sluggish to drain in the 28F cold.

Ball Cap.jpg

Ethan, Ken, and Jacob showed tonight. I got an email from Emma's mom about her being sick with the (non-corona virus) flu. I replied that Emma's grasp of pressure points was pretty amazing for a kid her age. Most adults don't quite get it as quickly as she picked it up.

So I juggled teaching 3 belt ranks at once. Blue belt for Jacob, blue belt 2nd degree for Ethan, and purple belt for Ken. I had Ethan and Jacob exchanging techniques with Ethan coaching Jacob and me stepping in where Ethan's understanding of the technique was a little shaky. Ken learned two more takedowns from the ground and three standing takedowns. The standing takedowns require some careful timing of the hands and feet. A tricky feat tonight, but it seemed to work reasonably well.

Deload/Speed/Dynamic Effort Week

Deadlift: 250 for 10 singles.

Box Squat: 90 for 8 doubles.

Dips: Bodyweight for 10 sets of triples.

Rolled and stretched hamstrings. I actually managed a 30 second stretch on each one with my foot at sternum height just to see if the old guy still had it. I did.

Conditioning this morning was SciFit, speed bag, kettlebell swings, Jacob's Ladder, box jumps, completed with rolling and stretching.

Some location, schedule, and personnel rearrangements with Special Olympian athletes being trained. Monday was not in the cards, training is now taking place at the Carbondale Gold's, and Lena has joined the ranks of lifters again.

Best lifts are due Friday so Jereth and Lena got put through their paces tonight.

Jereth:

Squat-165
    Bench Press-115
    Deadlift-255

Lena:
    Deadlift-185. She is only competing in the deadlift.

Jereth's squat form has come so far. It drew the attention of another hard core lifter at the next squat rack who struck up a conversation with us and praised his form. This kind of attention is priceless for trainees. It made Jereth very happy.

Lena hadn't lifted for a year, but was eager to get back in the groove. She showed a lot of grit and courage on the platform.

starting strength coach development program
    Deload/Speed/Dynamic Effort Week (last day)

Seated Press: 105 for 10 sets of 3.

Cybex Lateral Raises: 30-45-50-70 for 10 sets of 3.

Cable Pulldowns: 50 for 10 sets of 3.

Calf Press: 290 for 10 sets of 3.

These were done with 30 second rest intervals. Surprisingly not at all taxing with such a short rest.