starting strength gym
Page 518 of 659 FirstFirst ... 18418468508516517518519520528568618 ... LastLast
Results 5,171 to 5,180 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ball Cap.jpg

I thought no one might show last night, given the rain, and the propensity of the basement room I teach in at the park district to flood. Happily, neither one was the case. As I came in a mom was asking the girl at the reception desk the difference between Karate and Jujitsu. Great timing. So I splained it and told her she and her son were welcome to observe tonight's class. They did, and we'll see if I get another student.

Ken showed and so did Seth and this time with his dad rather than his mom. Ken and I alternated taking Seth through almost all of the white belt techniques. Seth could not seem to control his elbow strikes. His other strikes, just fine. So I kept after him to not make contact which didn't seem to make an impression. His dad chimed in as well near the end of the class to reinforce the message. Seth's a sweet kid, and I think he just doesn't realize how much an elbow strike could hurt someone his own age and size. From what I have seen of his mom, and now his dad, I am confident they will get him better attuned to this. I hope so, or Seth is in for some time on the sidelines if he can't control all his strikes. I will not teach some budding Cobra Kai types.

I spent some time with him stressing the importance of looking before doing rear elbow strikes when escaping from rear wrist grabs. So I used his cousin as an example of someone he would just want to escape from rather than deliver an elbow strike cracking a rib or giving a bloody nose. Once I got him on the idea of don't hit friends or relatives in most cases, he seemed to catch on. His dad expressed some interest in the class too. Maybe he'll be back for instruction.

Rounds of elliptical, speed bag, rower, handball, medicine ball toss, heavy bag, SciFit, and completed with rolling and hamstring stretches.

Taking it relatively easy for the next few days as an interlude of "active rest" in preparation for 1RM max singles for a mock meet next week. This is in keeping with typical pre-meet prep where you take a light week and/or a rest week with no lifting at all. I'll if it pays off come Monday or so.

Speed bag, prowler, Jacob's Ladder, extended walking between stations, crunch machine, rolling and stretching.

Ball Cap.jpg

Ken and Jacob showed tonight. I took them through the usual warmups, along with some side curl drills, and introduced kicking and stomping drills. The kicking drills were nothing new to Ken, given his background in Karate, but the low foot stomps took some splainin'. It was all terra incognita for Jacob who needed some considerable instruction in how to stand, foot positioning, and keeping his balance.

I had them alternate blue belt and purple belt techniques. Jacob's being escapes and Ken's being takedowns. Jacob made a key connection tonight from other corrections I have made to his techniques. He has a habit of winding up and telegraphing some of his movements. I finally got him to stop in some other techniques, but tonight he did it again and I mentioned telegraphing again. He said "So I need to just go into the move, right?" Yep. I praised his application of the earlier corrections to this. He was pretty happy about that.

Cruised through some more odds and ends with moderate intensity. A couple of rounds of speed bag, medicine ball toss (a light 10 lb. one), elliptical, front and back and low kicks, along with some sweeps on the long bag, rower, with lots of rolling.

My back feels slightly tweaked in the thoracic area which is unusual. No idea why. It seems to be along the T4-T7 line on the left where the trapezius inserts. Spent 15 minutes in the Jacuzzi trying to pummel the thing into submission with hot water. Ice is next.

Today was 1RM test today in a mock meet. I had the ace depth spotter, DB, checking my squat for integrity. She said, "Good to go." Thus it was.

All opening lifts were 90% of estimated current 1RM, just as recommended for a meet.

Squat: 260-295-300. I added 15 lbs. to my previous 1RM.

Bench Press: 215-235/0. I didn't attempt a 3rd. This was terribly disappointing. It appears that my goal of setting a world record in the 65-69 age group of 242 will not happen. Even so, I know I can hit 225 lbs. when I compete in the IPL Worlds near the end of this year. I'll test it again in a few more days with a try at 230 lbs.

Deadlift: 335-380-385/0. I might have gotten the 3rd attempt if I had waited longer to recover from the 2nd attempt. I was giving myself 3-5 minutes between attempts, and in a meet you can wait as long as 20 minutes.

The whole thing took 79 minutes. As I said, longer rests between attempts would have been better. I made 6 out of 9 attempts. Not stellar, but on the other hand I increased my total to 910 lbs. It takes 875 lbs. to qualify for the IPL Worlds, so I am in solid.

Nice on numbers Mark!

Nice series of squats Mark, tough luck on your BP, you still have some time for it to come around though. Keep up the good work. I had to take an extra rest day, got a bit of a cold today, hopefully will be good to go tomorrow. Just two months till my meet...I may test a couple of my lifts at the end of the month. I got a little shock when I registered for my meet...it's gotten pretty expensive since I competed last. Cost me $135 for my registration + entry fee, and I may still order a new suit, my old one is a little more snug than I care for haha!

A tip of the Halto hat to you, gents. As for the bench press, I'm planning on still trying to get to 242, but my reality check is what I am certain I CAN do now. With the hope better later.

starting strength coach development program
    There was a little scheduling confusion that came together at the last minute for training Special Olympians this afternoon. I first cancelled the session and then discovered it could proceed, and couldn't get the word to everyone in time. So Jereth was there to train at the Carbondale Gold's.

He will be lifting in the superheavyweight class but is leaning out week by week.

Tonight was sets of 3 per the Wendler 5-3-1 template.

Squats: 105-125-140 for 5 reps.

Bench Press: 80-90-105 for 4 reps.

Deadlift: 170-195 none for the planned 220. His right hand and forearm flexor pulled up lame and a callus got pulled off. I gave him some callus treatment advice consisting of softening them up with cornhusker's lotion and then using an emery board to sand them flat. I've learned from painful experience that using nail clippers or a sharp knife to cut them off is a BAD IDEA!