starting strength gym
Page 519 of 659 FirstFirst ... 19419469509517518519520521529569619 ... LastLast
Results 5,181 to 5,190 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Woof! Man am I sore. I feel like I have seized up, lashed to a grate and given 10 of the Bosun's best with the cat o' nine tails. Not unexpectedly, I might add. It's always like this after a real meet or mock meet when I test my current limits.

So today I got a very low intensity bit of cardio advising and coaching DB about her own strength training. Equipment selection, determining the correct pin settings for adjustments, and poundage selection. Not a bad stretch for about 30 minutes all told.

It's funny, the unexpected turns events take. DB and I were entering the Rec Center to a chaotic horde of middle school locusts passing by the reception desk. The young lady at the desk said Carbondale Middle School was having a PE day. Emma, one of my Jujitsu students attends that school and I said in an aside to DB, "I wonder if Emma is here." The young lady said that Emma was here and I was said I was surprised that she knew her. No, she's right behind you, said the nice young lady. The Emma in this instance was another young woman who worked the desk. After some confusion, I explained I was looking for one of my Jujitsu students by the same name. Chuckles all around, until this Emma showed some interest in my class. So I gavef her a card in the hopes she might sign up. We'll see.

As it happened, halfway through my workout, the other Emma found me and gave me a cheery greeting under the watchful eye of one of the chaperoning teachers. Such are the times we live in, that such overwatch is needed.

Anyway, a very easy session consisting of speed bag, medicine ball toss (a mere 8 lbs.), elliptical, rower, heavy bag, and rolling with stretching.

Ball Cap.jpg

I picked up a new student tonight, Joseph by name. He and his mom observed the class last week. Seth showed and so did Ken and Ethan. It was a four way juggling act since Joseph got there late after the warmups and drills.

The first order of business was to take both of them, but mainly Seth, through some drills in how to pull a strike. Since Seth had a problem with unnecessary contact last week with his elbow strikes. Joseph got it right off, and so Seth was easier to reprogram. Success.

I had Ethan instruct Joseph and Seth in the techniques while I went over a takedown I had forgotten to teach Ken last week. It's called a rear body drop and a very hard back fall for the attacker. He throws a punch, the defender deflects it, steps to the side and behind the attacker, grabs their shoulder and sweeps their legs out from behind. Then I had Ken take over the new kids so I could work on Ethan's blue belt 2nd degree techniques so I can promote him to purple belt as well.

A pretty challenging night, but one everyone seemed to enjoy.

Another easy day of conditioning to facilitate recovery from Monday's mock meet. I'll lift again tomorrow or Saturday.

Rounds of rower, handball, speed bag, SciFit, heavy bag.

On the way out, Emma was working the desk and I let her know that she was welcome to observe Friday's intermediate Jujitsu class. She seemed enthused, maybe she'll take a look.

Improvise, overcome, adapt!

What a difference less than 24 hours can make. After reviewing upcoming Special Olympics events like the Polar Plunge, Summer Games Powerlifting Qualifiers, and Spring Games, it occurred to me to look at the dates for Summer Games. Dang! Right in the same time slot as USPA Nationals. No way to do both coaching Jereth and Lena in Bloomington and somehow get to Cleveland to compete. So, I'll have to forego Nationals this year. I've been to the 1st Drug Tested Nationals in 2016, got the t-shirt and the gold medal. I guess that'll have to do for now.

Plan B swung into operation. I tried to get a refund from Nationals, alas, no dice. In order to get a qualifying total on record, I needed to find a drug tested match to lift in. The soonest was tomorrow in Peru Illinois, the state championships. A little too soon I think. But there's one in Franklin, Kentucky March 13. Which is closer and gives me some time to prepare. I'll register with them on Monday since there appear to be openings still.

This gave rise to taking a look at my National records in my age and current weight class. Sadly, they have been broken in January this year. That guy can squat and deadlift over 100 lbs. in each lift more than me. But his bench press? Not so much. More on that below.

Bench Press: I managed a not too grueling 231.5 for a single. I broke out my fractional plates to get to 105 kg. May I say once more how much I hate the metric system? As relatively easy as that went up, I don't understand why 235 was a no-go for me on Monday. I should be able to beat the current record holder's 225 bench press with mine.

Squat: 270 for 4 singles.

Hammer Cable Curls: 240 for 3 sets of 12.

Stretched.

Ball Cap.jpg

Jacob and Ken showed tonight. I had them alternating blue belt and purple belt techniques. Jacob has a real problem interpreting directions to move his hands and feet in particular ways and gets frustrated when he gets it wrong. I try to teach with as much positive feedback as possible, as in telling them as they are doing it that they got it, they are moving correctly, etc. Of course there is plenty of instructions to stop and start over to avoid having the wrong technique get set in concrete and have to be fixed later. Tonight Jacob managed to get a lot of things right tonight despite his arghs of frustration and I told him so. He has come so far from being reluctant to even getting grabbed when he started. It's very satisfying to see such progress when someone had so many struggles at the beginning.

The Rec Center was awash in high school girls there for an indoor track meet. Several schools were there, the most notable of which (for me anyway) was the Goreville Blackcats. Goreville is a nice town in very rural Johnson County with it's city limits sign festooned with their high school's state championships in many sports. It's cool for me, having lived in a village of 220 and gone to a high school maybe only a little bigger than that to have such pride in their school.

Anyway, it was all about speed, power, intensity, ballistics, and activating the Type II fast twitch muscles today. Speed bag, 30 lb. medicine ball toss (2 sets of 3), kettlebell swings (2 sets of 3), box jumps (2 sets of 3), heavy bag abuse, completed by rolling and stretching. The rollers had vanished for several days so when I rolled on my spine from the pelvis to the skull, it was snap, crackle, and pop like rice crispies as the vertebrae got some rotary realignment. This was short, sharp, and hard. Usually I'm in there for 30+ minutes, toady was 21 minutes.

Bench Press: Warm ups to an attempt to redeem myself with a single of 235. Which I eked out by the skin of my teeth. Which is at least some accomplishment and demonstration I haven't quite lost it yet. Followed up with some singles with 210. Last Friday must have been an off day, or my luck of the draw were some 45+ cast plates that bumped up what I thought was 235 to a few extra pounds. Cast gym plates can vary +/- 3 lbs. from their nominal 45 lbs. Only calibrated and milled plates truly can be relied upon.

Close Grip Incline Press: 135 for 3 sets of 5. Just breaking into these to see if they will get me 2 to 7 more lbs. in my bench press.

Hammer Row: 360 for 3 sets of 5.

Plates can be off by a surprising amount. In the gym at the college where I work I have labeled the plates L1-L4 and R1-R4 with a sharpie. It is the only way to be sure that an incremental increase really is just that. To make matters worse the weights and bar at the gym are all slightly underweight, my weights and bar at home all weigh more then stated. This makes going back and forth a bit of a challenge. I am doing most of my lifting at home now so that I don't have to fuss with the difference. Even at home I always load the plates in the same order so that the weight is always consistent.

starting strength coach development program
    Rounds today of SciFit, speed bag, elliptical, rower, and handball.