starting strength gym
Page 520 of 659 FirstFirst ... 20420470510518519520521522530570620 ... LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,200 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Only calibrated and milled plates truly can be relied upon.
    Yes.
    I have a set of Hampton deep dishs, and a set of Troys. 6 pair of calibrated 45's as well.
    So I can't blame my plates for my sorry lifts. LOL.

My plates are always in the same place, in the same order, as God intended.
    I started marking the actual weight with a shapie... but with calibrated plates, it pretty
    quickly becomes boring and pointless.

Training Special Olypmians this evening. Jereth and Lena, along with Kaydee who didn't lift, but was providing moral support for Jereth.

Since Lena is sticking to the deadlift, I led off with that so she could get in and get out quickly if she needed to. But no, Lena hung in and helped load and spot for Jereth to the end. Very gracious of her and a welcome addition to the session with her sunny disposition.

Jereth has largely fixed his tendency to bend his elbows during the deadlift. It wasn't easy for him to get past this, but little by little, he is solving it. He wanted to go straight into squats which shows some real fortitude after taxing your back with deadlifts. He had some difficulty with the bar dipping on his back and I was stumped as to why. While working on the bench press he mentioned a shoulder injury he had during flag football last November. After some more questions and asking for permission to check his shoulder out, it looks like a strain to the trapezius muscle. I broke out my Mr. Miyagi skills and worked on it a little.

He said it seemed to help a little.

In other news, I discovered last night while spectating at women's basketball practice with DB assisting in coaching, that the powerlifting meet in March in Franklin, KY, conflicted with their state basketball tournament. So Plan C is a Drug Tested meet in Oak Ridge, TN, on May 16. Fingers crossed.

Deadlift: 340 for 4 singles. I was careless in using an already loaded bar with smooth knurling which I didn't pay attention to. A little chalk made grip no issue.

Dips: Sets of 5,50-55-65. There's nothing like putting on a 45 lb. plate and some change on the dip belt and doing reps with it. Gets the attention of the boys in the Rec Center. Especially since I start each rep standing on the floor with no rebound effect from starting at the top.

Bagged box squats this morning as my back was feeling a little dodgy and fatigued when I got up. I got the main job done with DL's and declared victory.

Rolled and stretched.

I guess it's best to play it safe when it comes to lifting when you don't feel 100%.

Yep. I can expiate my sin of slothfulness next time around.

Joseph, Seth, and Emma made it tonight. Evidently she wouldn't be able to make it Friday so today was the day. She's a gritty and growing fast 11 year old and she led off by insisting on getting Dave, the striking dummy, by herself. This despite my warning she wouldn't be able to move a 180 lb. BoB made by Century Sports. After watching her struggle, I interceded and took over.

Since she's a blue belt with beginners, had to mix up teaching the techniques and I used her as a crash dummy for demonstrating white belt stuff. Also, it gave her the first chance to start teaching herself. She did pretty well. The boys are coming along nicely.

Then out of thin air, Emma said she wanted to learn the forward roll fall. She got spooked by them a few weeks ago and had to go sit down when she got upset. But Emma is not easily daunted, and I guess she decided to face and overcome her fears. So I demonstrated the fall from kneeling position and after a few false starts she got the better of it. Then she asked what it looked like from a standing position. So demonstrated it with the attendant loud crash(!) you make when you hit the mat and try to pretend it didn't hurt too much. I used to do these running when I was in college and thought nothing of it. At 69, I'm slightly more cautious.

A fun session for all. Especially when they got to practice strikes on Dave.

A longer session than usual while DB was pretzeling herself in a yoga class. Speed bag, prowler, crunch machine, medicine ball toss, box jumps, heavy bag, elliptical, rower, and rolling and stretching.

Seated Press: 182 for a single with a few more backoff singles with 165. I broke out the fractional plates and loaded the bar to 182 so as to creep up on my goal of 185. I don't need that for a powerlifting total because it's not a competed lift. Except here with true believers. Last night's sleep and the morning wakeup did augur well for this lift. Both shoulders felt like the joint had been filled with sand and let dry in the Sun. Proof again that one's feelings about things are often poor predictors of the result.

Cybex Lateral Raise: Sets of 12, 80-85-90.

Cable Pulldowns: Sets of 12, 80-85-90.

Calf Press: Sets of 12, 410-430-450.

Ball Cap.jpg

Jacob, Ken, and Seth showed tonight. I dragooned Jacob into his first stint at teaching Seth and he exceeded all expectations. He was patient and careful although he needed some prompting and reminders at a few points. Then again, so do Ken and Ethan from time to time. Through all of that, I alternated white belt, blue belt, and purple belt techniques with the three of them. Challenging, but everyone seemed content with the proceedings.

Seth wants a gi, and I told his mother when she came to collect him that if she and her husband agreed, I could find one for fairly cheap. Although it seems there's a sports resale place locally that might be able to help.

starting strength coach development program
    Interesting with new words, ”augur ” had to check it up, its latin ”to see into the future” but pretze.... must be some german?
    Although Its close related to swedish I cant figure it out? Sounds like something to eat?