starting strength gym
Page 522 of 659 FirstFirst ... 22422472512520521522523524532572622 ... LastLast
Results 5,211 to 5,220 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It's been a real wrestling match for the last week trying to determine if he can train or compete. As of now, he can train and it looks like he may be able to compete in the upcoming state qualifier in Bloomington. I'm so proud of his determination to stay the course and I hope he will not be disappointed by his doctor's verdict.

Tonight was a light workout so as to assess his shoulder's integrity with a safety margin with weights at 40-50-60% of 1RM for sets of 5 reps. He did fine with only a couple of minor hiccups in form. Other than that, his performance was outstanding. Lena did great in the deadlift as she always does and was a great spotter and loader for Jereth's squats and bench press. Her good nature lights up whatever part of the gym she is in.

Negotiating this doctor and injury thing as a coach is an entirely new thing for me. Up to now it's always been about my own ailments and how much to do or not do and whether to do anything at all like the doc told me. Taking on the responsibility for another forces some really careful thinking about what to do next.

Mixing it up this morning with speed bag, prowler, handball, heavy bag, rower, medicine ball toss, rolling and hamstring stretch.

Squats: 270 for 6 singles.

Cable Hammer Curls: 242 for 3 sets of 12.

The narrow uprights allowing me to take a wider hand spacing on the bar and hence, allowing a lower position of the bar on my back is working really well. My lower back is handling squats much better than it used to. Now if only I could find the same kind of sweet spot for deadlifts.

More Coronavirus fever has overtaken Special Olympics, as it has the NBA and the institutions of higher learning. Cancellations of the women's basketball tournament this weekend and the upcoming state qualifier for powerlifting.

I braved the nearly empty Rec Center, it's Spring Break which SIU has elected to extend another week due to fears of the plague at my advanced age of 69 to get some conditioning in. All speed work, with box jumps, speed bag, medicine ball toss, heavy bag, kettlebell swings, and rolling with hamstring stretches. DB has been sick for several days as was our daughter. They continue to improve with OD headed back to work at the SIU Credit Union. I've been fine.

Bench Press: 215 for 6 singles.

Close Grip Incline Bench Press: 145 for 3 sets of 5.

Hammer Row: 365 for 3 sets of 5.

I am reconsidering going to USPA Powerlifting Nationals once again. I've paid the entry fee and then had to reconsider given the Special Olympics Summer Games and coaching some lifters perhaps and some shot putters. At this point, who knows whether the Games will come off or not. So, go? Or not go? For that matter, is it even worth the effort of entering a Drug Tested meet in Oak Ridge TN, in May to qualify for the USPA/IPL Worlds?

Very frustrating, given that the only reason I started competing in powerlifting again was to promote Special Olympics in the first place.

This virus sure is getting to us in many other ways than just physically. I have a planned trip to Arz,Colorado and Oregon in 2 weeks. So far I plan to go, but it depends on if I don't catch a cold and what the airlines do.

A cold rainy morning with temps upper 30's to lower 40's F. A perfect beginning for my increasing irritation with the ongoing panic. I swear, it's like watching a herd dog control sheep with it's racing around the flock and barking. Which describes the barking media pretty well too. What's dismaying is the reaction of so many to it.

I spent the entire session pounding the speed bag and heavy bag in a vain attempt to get my frustration out and become fit company for those who have to suffer my presence around them. It didn't work.

Apparently I slept immobile for a long time on my right side last night. I woke up with some real pain in my right medial deltoid and some lesser discomfort in my right outer hip and adductor. With two out of four of the major ball and socket joints out of whack deadlifts, box squats, and especially my shoulder, I decided to sub in conditioning for lifting today. But me being me, I tested my shoulder anyway. I started off with the speed bag, which Mr. Deltoid handled just fine, thank you very much. Then went on for the acid test with dips. Man did that one rep hurt! Nuh-uh, no way. So on to leg dominant stuff, stationary bike, rower (very slowly and with minimal upper body pull and shortened hip flexion), elliptical, all interspersed with a lot of walking between stations on the indoor track.

So far the SIU Rec Center assures me they will remain open. In a refreshingly sane response to the late hysteria, they implemented card swipes at the reception counter to prevent handling cross contamination. Nice to see for a change lately. The Hub, a similarly equipped municipal facility in nearby Marion, IL, has closed for two weeks, effectively freezing out one of the Olympians, Jereth, I was training. He's really frustrated, as am I, over all this. The Rec Center offers a $60 unlimited use pass for a month which could bridge him over all this.

I can't help but be reminded of that scene in Gran Torino where Sue, the Hmong neighbor girl of Walt Kowalski is explaining the Hmong to him and teasing him at the end with a "Booga-booga-booga!" with all the folderol going on now.

Well that was less than stellar. The worst workout I've had in years. The SIU Rec Center followed the rest of the lemmings over the cliff and is now closed. I called the Carbondale Gold's Gym and yep, they were open. Of course they don't have anything close to the best bars for deadlifting. The knurling is too smooth and shallow for a good grip. I spent the morning looking for chalk to assist my grip. None in Walmart, Dick's Sporting Goods decided to move their opening hours to 11 now, and I figgered Shawnee Trails might have some since they stock climbing equipment. They were supposed to open at 10. They weren't. So I gave up in disgust and went to lift.

Deadlift: 5 singles with 340, failed on programmed 6th rep. As anticipated, the bar was hard to hold. The 1st rep, no problem. The 2nd rep was iffy on the grip. So getting progressively more ticked off, I broke out straps to get the rest of the singles. I lost any kinesthetic sense of grip on the bar, and all the rest of the reps were tough with me barely breaking the bar off the platform on rep 6.

Gold's has no dip bars, so I had to sub in a Lifefitness triceps pressdown instead. The shoulder still didn't like it, but it was much better after alternating hot and cold packs all yesterday.

Box Squats: A complete no-go. While my medial deltoid was largely better, the inflammation had moved into my acromioclavicular joint. Trying to take the relatively narrow grip on the bar to squat that standard power racks make you take. It hurt too much to get the bar low enough on my upper back.

As I left the gym, the radio was playing Crazy On You by Heart. A perfect end to that mess. All this has rewakened a guy it took me quite a few years to exorcise, LEO Mark. Not a good guy to be around.

starting strength coach development program
    My lack of gym purgatory continues. I managed to get in a brisk walk around SIU's Lake on the Campus before the heavy rain hit this morning. It was misting a little. Desperate times call for desperate measures. But then to my wondering eyes did appear, an otter!? It was some kind of furry mammal swimming away determinedly in the lake, the boy seemed too slim and the tail too long and narrow to be a beaver. Very cool, if it was indeed what it looked like to me. Likely to be the one bright spot of the week.

Bought some liquid chalk at Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday. An ideal bit of contraband to sneak into any gym not chalk friendly and apply surreptitiously to the hands for a gecko-like grip.

The search for another good black iron gym continues. Some place that will give me a reasonable weekly or monthly rate to bridge over the SIU Rec Center reopening. Ideally, I need one with at least one bat with good deep and sharp knurling, with a dip station, and hopefully laterally adjustable squat stands so I can take a wide grip on the bar while squatting. The Warehouse was the only one I could into for a good inspection of their set up. Not promising. There's the Den in Carterville which purports to be powerlifter friendly and Full Circle Fitness in Murphysboro which markets itself as catering to strongman training. Neither was open this morning as of 8:00. I still have the USPA/IPL Worlds to prep and train for and I refuse to acquiesce to the rest of the lemmings blindly listening to the various Ministries of Truth.