starting strength gym
Page 525 of 659 FirstFirst ... 25425475515523524525526527535575625 ... LastLast
Results 5,241 to 5,250 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My training may currently consist of no more than trying to maintain my strength levels just now, but I continue to look forward to what I can do when some sensibility returns to the lemmings running our state.

I will turn 70 this year, and that puts me in a higher age bracket for competitors. Competitors in my case meaning lifting raw (no knee wraps or squat suits or bench press shirts), the 70-74 age class, at 242 lbs., in the drug tested division. Since the invention of the internet, there's a site that ranks all lifters internationally in all these categories save for a drug tested division. With my current total in the gym of 915 lbs. I would rank #6 worldwide. Although, it's not quite apples to apples, because those other competitors do not lift in drug tested divisions in the federations they compete in.

Rankings

Thats interesting news. Thats good lifting from you. To bad the covid is buzzing around.

Yeah there's a whole mixed bag of news.

The good/bad news is that the Special Olympics Summer Games have been cancelled. That's bad for the powerlifters and shot putters I was coaching before this nonsense brewed up. But then it means that I can compete in the Nationals scheduled at the same time. But wait! More good/bad news on that front. I tried to get a refund for my entry fee, which was politely declined. No beef from me on that, but still. So I contacted the Nationals folk for reinstatement. They are sold out and I have to go on a wait list, since I told them I was unable to attend. The wait list it is. All is not lost however. The USPA has added a new drug tested meet called the North American Championships. I've never competed in that one before and it's to be held in Costa Mesa, CA. I could go back for that and get in some mat time at my old dojo and from my teacher Master Bellman. I already met qualification totals for that in the Tulsa meet in September. The USPA/IPL Worlds have yet to announce a date or a location, so I may have to forego the Worlds this year. We'll see.

Last night I heard a reminder chime on my phone for Jujitsu. Aggravating for a moment and then inspiring. I decided to do some solo training for conditioning for the day.

Out to Lake on the Campus and along the lake path to a relatively remote point of land for my routine. I ran through my warmup routine along with stepping, blocking, and striking drills. I then moved into working my way through the white belt routines as though they were a kata. I'd never tried this before and it was pretty hard conjuring up an imaginary attacker out of whole cloth. When I used to do Karate katas, it was a snap running through blocks and strikes from phantom attackers trying to hit you. Running through a more complex escape from a grab, a check, and then a strike turned out to be a real challenge. None of this old man in the park doing Tai Chi in slo-mo for me. I was moving at full speed. Then I moved on to some staff striking drills along with baton drills using my hiking staff and an Ozark Trails bat light that I keep on the floorboard of my edge on the left side of the driver's seat. A habit I picked up as a cop on Carbondale PD with a Kel -lite. Only the really old school LE/security folks are likely to get this reference.

Not a bad workout. I averaged 127 bpm heart rate and burned 352 calories.

Do you mean a type of baseball bat for seldefense, or a kind of walking stick or a combination of both.

It's a flashlight roughly in the shape of an 18" baseball bat. It's also very bright, which blasted in the eyes of an aggressor can make it unnecessary to resort to blunt force trauma as a disincentive for the bad guy. It's hard to attack with a big blue light bloom in obscuring the vision.

Kind of screwed up, you paid asked for and denied a refund. Yet now they have no room for you! WTF!

They said at the outset that the entry fee was non-refundable. I knew it going in and hoped against hope I might get it back. When I first contacted them about dropping out and a refund they told me politely and straight up. They were trying to sell the meet out and they did.

I am not happy about it, but I can't say I think it was unfair of them.

Journal During the Plague
    Day 13 of Pritzker the Hut's general lockdown
    Report from Prisoner Number 6

As I was walking to the parkour station, a young woman came up on the lake path. She and I have shared the are of the equipment in times past and we exchanged some small talk about feeding the ducks on the lake and the whole current situation. All at least 6 feet apart of course.

I added a 5 lb. plate to the kettlebell to the 20 lb. kettle bell for a 30 lb. total additional load to bodyweight.
    4 sets of 5

Dips, pull ups, one legged squats, knee ups, hamstring stretches.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    They said at the outset that the entry fee was non-refundable. I knew it going in and hoped against hope I might get it back. When I first contacted them about dropping out and a refund they told me politely and straight up. They were trying to sell the meet out and they did.

I am not happy about it, but I can't say I think it was unfair of them.
    Your sense of fair play is far more generous than mine. Even if you are probably right.