starting strength gym
Page 529 of 659 FirstFirst ... 29429479519527528529530531539579629 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,290 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ball Cap.jpg

Yesterday my Jujitsu teacher, Master Bellman conducted another Jujitsu class via Zoom. So I was doing the Jujitsu Zoom. As opposed to the Kung Fu Hustle. He covered mostly yawara (short stick or kubotan) techniques from his backyard.

I have two books for nearly 50 years now, "Yawara and Police Baton" and "Baton Techniques and Training". I bought both shortly after I went into law enforcement. The reason was because early on, I carried a flat sap and when I used it on a guy while breaking up a fight, my wrist turned and I caught him with the edge. It cut him like a hatchet and he went to the hospital with 20-3- stitches. I ditched the sap that night and managed to find these books and I practiced the techniques so I could get the job done without unnecessary damage to someone I was arresting.

You mentioned using the yawara on bony surfaces and it jogged my memory about the illustration in the book.

The other thing that jogged my memory was the whip striking technique. Kubota's book on baton used that kind of strike a lot. He also talked about "hiding" the baton along the back leg to keep it concealed during an engagement until or unless it was needed.

As for the cardio impact of the class, I wear a FitBit 24/7 and it records calorie burn as well as heart rate. My heart rate bounced between 85 bpm and 120 bpm for an average of 111 bpm which for me at age 69 worked out to around 72% of maximum heart rate. Not a bad medium intensity session of cardio for 45 minutes.

Journal During the Plague
    Day 34 of Pritzker the Hut's general lockdown
    Report from Prisoner Number 6

Tried some new things today. A picnic table figured prominently.

Deadlift picnic table 2 sets of 5

Front Squat holding edge of picnic table 2 sets of 5

Bench Press picnic table 2 sets of 5

Overhead picnic table press 5 reps

Feet elevated pushups 5 reps

Ring pullups 4 sets of 3 reps

Knee ups 4 sets of 5

Hamstring stretch

This routine was very hard on the hands.

I got some good news, the Henosis crossfit owner has a bar for sale for $50. A little progress.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 04-27-2020 at 07:47 AM.

Day 35 of Pritzker the Hut's general lockdown

Despite the 13 mph wind, I took a paddle around our lake this morning for my conditioning and a little bit of "active relaxation." I grew up with canoeing, but I prefer solo floats, so a kayak has been my watercraft of choice. It's faster, more maneuverable, and presents a lower profile to a facing wind. Paddling into a wind with an elevated bow when alone has never been my idea of enjoyable.

There were a pair of kingfishers flitting along the shore, along with a big blue heron and it's elegantly recurved neck. Oddly, ma and pa Canada goose pair were not in evidence with their have dozen or so balls of grayish yellow downy goslings.

Very relaxing and calming.

Day 36 of Pritzker the Hut's general lockdown

4 sets of 5

Dips
    Pull ups
    One legged squats
    Knee ups

I got a response to a FB query on a swap group for a bench. The seller wanted $50 for it and admitted it needed new padding for the back. When I got there the guy looked like an extra for Deliverance. Also the bench had no back at all. Passed on it. Still waiting for the follow up from the crossfit guy about coming to his box to buy the bar.

Day 37 of Pritzker the Hut's general lockdown

I woke up feeling sore on a couple parts of my right side, specifically my knee and around the lower attachment of the trapezius. Or maybe a rib was out. I had a protracted internal debate with myself as to whether or not to go with my original speed/plyometric conditioning plan for the morning. I gambled and chose speed over an abundance of caution.

2 sets of 3 with lots of brisk walking in between.

Kettlebell Swings
    Box Jumps
    Clap Pushups

Concluded with some hamstring stretches.

Day 38 of Pritzker the Hut's general lockdown

More variety today, I think the frequency of squats is messing with my knee.

4 sets of 5.

Picnic Table Deadlifts
    One Arm Backpack Press
    Knee Ups
    Pull Ups
    Hamstring stretches.

Day 38 of Pritzker the Hut's general lockdown

A nice walk along the South and West side of Lake on the Campus. It would have made Marlon Perkins proud. There were a half dozen big does inside the path grazing along the glassy lake.
    I tried to get a photo, but one of them snorted an alarm call and they all high tailed it out of there. Further on, there was an egret watching for prey along the shoreline. Gray squirrels were skittering around here and there. These are the smart squirrels, the red ones are bigger, lazier, and stupid. Which is why more of them get squished on the roads. Gray squirrels not so much because they usually stick to one direction when they scurry away. Red ones are indecisive and jink back and forth a couple of times and they pay dearly for it. On the return leg a red tailed hawk ghosted through the trees. Probably in search of unwary squirrels.

Just curious what are picnic table deadlifts and presses?

I was in a situation where I had to come up with an alternative workout for 2 1/2 weeks because of this crap. It feels great to be back at home where I have a rack/barbell/weights. Gotta make due with whatever is available. Not training is not an option!

As a side note is this you, Pritzker the Hut, Military Poster / Print: [Jabba the Soviet Hut] | Pritzker Military Museum & Library | Chicago

The picnic table deadlift is picking it up by grabbing it under the seat and then standing up with it. It's more like a rack pull given the height of the seat, but it's better than nothing, which is the alternative.

The picnic table incline press has you getting under the edge of the table from one end, curl/cleaning it to chest height and then pressing it overhead. Again, not the greatest, but a routine breaker from dips, dips, dips all the time.

I love that link. He's really getting reviled here with his May Day Gulag extension.

starting strength coach development program
    Ball Cap.jpg

More of the Jujitsu Zoom this morning. Some adaptations of the basic escapes and blocks using the yawara sticks. Lotsa followup strikes with them and some new information about targeting and how and why it scrambles the nerve points and hurts like a bastard. Plus some things it does to the CNS more generally by way of the meridians. Which some here disparage as mere Eastern ooga-booga.