starting strength gym
Page 531 of 659 FirstFirst ... 31431481521529530531532533541581631 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,310 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Woke up with generalized aches and miseries this morning. Most notably my lately chronic left foot and lower back. The latter was probably DOMS from deadlifts yesterday. I got an appointment with the bone cracker tomorrow for a long overdue adjustment. For mister foot, I broke out an Ace bandage and wrapped it and put on my side zip calf high boots and laced them tight for all the support they could muster. Oh, and some CBD ointment along with a couple of anti-inflammatory pills.

The foot improved enough through the course of the day that I decided some martial arts practice might be doable. I ran through my warm up routine and drills. Then went into some empty hand techniques and moved on to work with knife, yawara stick, and sword.

Deload/Speed/Dynamic Effort

Push Press: Sets of 3, 45-65-70-75-80-85-90-95-100-100

Barbell Row: Sets of 3, 100-105-110-115-120-125-130-130-130-130

Lateral Raise: 3 sets of 12 with 10 lbs.

Feeling 100% today, which given my longer than usual foot problem was a huge relief. Normally they last 1-3 days. This was over a week.

I decided to make use of the treadmill DB got such a great deal on this morning. It wasn't as nice as walking outdoors, but I could read a book while doing so. A true novelty for me.

Have you read where Andy Baker suggested using the treadmill with the power off.

Yes I have. But I get all the cardio/conditioning effect I need with no incline. I kept to a low to moderate speed this morning because I hadn't been on a treadmill in years and I wanted to try reading while I did it. I'll try a little more intense a session in future.

Hip Belt Squats: Sets of 5, 70-95-120-145-150-170. I am using a set up pictured below:

This is a little tricky getting used to so I am going up at a careful rate until I find what the movement is like under a challenging load.

Hammer Curls: 85 for 3 sets of 12.

Ball Cap.jpg

Doin' the Jujitsu Zoom again at lunch. More drills with the yawara, along with a look at some control holds, including a new one to me. One that was introduced after I left CA for points East back home. Then some demonstration of how to move someone off balance by using an elliptical arc in the pull or push rather than just straight line use of force. The ellipse introduced makes it very difficult to find a settling or balance point for the attacker when being applied to them in defending during an engagement. Finally a more complete explanation of how air in the lungs contributes to buoyancy, i.e., the more air in the lungs the more buoyant. Which makes it easier to get someone off balance. Also, the factors of how to move or manipulate the attacker's hands and feet to make it difficult for them to exhale and get all the air out of their lungs. Less air, harder to move. Basically if the hands are turned palm out or the feet toes out, the attacker cannot expel all their air.

More trial and error in learning what works and what doesn't this morning. Bench pressing from the floor with no bench and no uprights is very difficult. Likewise trying to do pull ups on garage joists. So I have some adjustments to make.

Bench Press: 45-10, 95-5, 115-5, 165-3, 185-1. Pretty unspectacular. Like I said, I gotta figure out a better way to get the bar started until I can find a bench for sale.

Pull Ups: 3-3-3. Need a pipe to grip. Two by fours make it hard to maintain a grip.

Up early, like most mornings. But this morning I decided to paddle around the lake. My feet were a little sore from walking behind the mower for an hour or so defeating the encroaching grass on the lawn. So, shift to something that got me off my feet.

It was a very quiet session on the glass smooth water. Not even the neighbors' dogs took notice, no barking at the intruder along the back yard paddling along. Audubon would have loved it. There were egrets, a blue heron, and a green heron working the shores and keeping a few wing beats ahead of me. Watching the Sun rise over the treetops into a graying yellow cloud cover was like seeing a muted water color painting in progress.

Very good way to begin the day.

starting strength coach development program
    Continuing to determine where my 1RM is at. But slowly and carefully after the penal diversion by Our Self Proclaimed Masters and Betters.

Deadlifts: Lever belt-check, lucky red socks-check, flat (wrestling) deadlift clown shoes-check. 115-5, 185-3, 245-1, 295-1, 320-1. Being VERY careful with this one. More to come next time.

Push Press: 45-5, 75-5, 95-1, 105-1, 115-1. I don't currently have a bench or rack for seated presses and cleaning and pressing is a much different beast.