starting strength gym
Page 536 of 659 FirstFirst ... 36436486526534535536537538546586636 ... LastLast
Results 5,351 to 5,360 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squats: 45-5, 115-2, 185-1, 255-1, 270 2 singles. Finally got back to my previous working weight pre-Kung Flu. They were shaky reps of questionable depth, but mostly it was a mental barrier to overcome.

Hammer Curls: 125 for 3 sets of 5.

Pullover and Press: Sets of 5, 25-45-55-65. I added this to beef up volume for my triceps which are the weak link in my bench press. Also to loosen up my shoulders and increase their range of motion.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY USA!!!

Today's checklist:

Red t-shirt.
    Blue shorts with white stars.
    Water shoes.
    Keep America Great ball cap. To tempt any foolhardy morlock into an injurious (for them) attempt to remove it.

It was a golden morning by the dawn's early light casting it's rays on huge round bales waiting in the fields along with 6 foot plus corn already tasseling out along IL-149. The old Midwestern saw about the corn being knee high by the 4th of July has been exceeded by orders of magnitude this Summer.

The day was supposed to be a scorcher of 90F, so I wanted to get on the water in Lake Kinkaid before it got too hot and also before the launch ramp looked like a set from Saving Private Ryan minus the cordite.

As it happened there were less than a half dozen fishers of men that I could see in the short paddle I had. Since there is supposed to be another Jujitsu Zoom session from my old teacher in SoCal, I didn't want to get too ambitious and take the edge off my opportunity to practice some more. Even if in virtual shadowing mode.
    I seem to be acquiring more ninja skills on creeping up on egrets. There was one lurking for careless frogs and fish behind a bar of rip-rap along one of the numerous points in Lake Kinkaid and I managed to get a quick photo before it spooked and flew off with the majestic slow wing flap they have. Almost like a pelican, but with the beautiful double back parabola they have with their necks. I followed the point into a deep and shadowed nook on the lake and spotted a few very prematurely orange splashes of turned leaves. I'd first thought they were markers put there by IDNR, but no, entirely natural.

I paddled back to the launch ramp into the sunrise and a refreshing light breeze. What a way to welcome such a special day as this.

Ball Cap.jpg

Jujitsu by way of Zoom again this 4th.

Master Bellman led off with some demonstration and explanation of short gauging kicks and rebound kicks. These are both done from an initial stamp of the foot on the ground to propel the foot a little harder from the muscles' reaction to the impact of the ground. One to the front done with the instep and shin and one done to the rear with the sole of the foot. Both are low kicks and very hard to anticipate or block. Just suffer from.

He moved on to more knife teachings. How to shift from a fencing hold to an ice pick (or hammer grip) quickly to change from a slashing and cutting attack to a stabbing or fending off an incoming hand strike. The ice pick grip is more of a defensive technique although it is an effective stabbing move as well. The drawback is that generally you have be closer to the other person.

There was some work with the staff, or bo as the Japanese call it. It included upper body strikes, lower body strikes, and blocking maneuvers. The strikes were typical blunt force trauma roundhouse and to the upper body and low uppercuts to the groin and solar plexus on the lower body. Also some thrusting technique with the tip of the bo.

He concluded by review of some of the restorative techniques using pressure points. Easing a headache by gripping the webbing between the thumb and index finger was one. Another was an open hand slap to the back of the head/neck area behind the ear to ward off sleepiness.

Deload/Dynamic Effort/Speed Work

All done for 10 sets of 3

Spotto Press

Close Grip Incline Press

Hammer Row

Altogether a welcome deload cycle, given the previous 3 weeks of trying to get past the old normal from the Kung Flu house arrest to some real training again.

More speed work for the Type II muscles.

Rounds of speed bag, medicine ball slam, box jumps, ring pulls, clap push ups, heavy bag, kettlebell swings, medicine ball toss.

All done for 10 sets of 1

Deadlifts: 245.

Box Squats: 95.

Dips: Bodyweight.

Interesting thing (for me anyway).

After a couple of months of painstaking chemical warfare getting the better of algae in our pool, I have been swimming some laps. This for the first time since Red Cross Junior Life Saving training in the Watseka, IL pool when I was 13. Today was 8 laps in a 50' pool which took 6 minutes. Nothing Olympian, but a little satisfying to see I could still continuously swim over 100 yards. In any time at all and without becoming one with the algae at the bottom of the pool.

What pleasantly surprised me was the cardio I got from it. My average heart rate was 133 bpm and I burned 82 calories. More of this to come this Summer. Especially with a heat index of 101F.

And the speed and ballistics work just keeps on coming.

Rounds of speed bag, medicine ball slam, box jumps, ring pulls, clap push ups, heavy bag, kettlebell swings, medicine ball toss.

I am done with the gutless appeasers in the NFL. But the Blackhawks retain their integrity and class. Stan Mikita is smiling down from Heaven.

Seated Press: 95 for 10 singles.

Lateral Raise: 70 for 3 sets of 12.

Hammer Pulldown: 150 95 for 10 singles.

Calf Press: 180 70 for 3 sets of 12.

starting strength coach development program
    Ball Cap.jpg

Jujitsu Zooming, this time with practice on use of the 24" short staff, or baton. There's a lot of loose wrist rotation in these techniques along with some behind the neck movements that my inflexible wrists and shoulders find difficult to accommodate. Too bad, because loose wrist strikes add at least 10% kinetic impact to strikes. A little extra oomph in blunt force trauma is never a bad thing.

Then on to working with the long staff. My walking staff for hiking served admirably. We worked up into as many as 10 part striking sequences with both weapons, although two strikes would probably have flattened any attacker. We even did some strikes with the wooden sword (bokken). I have all those weapons.

Finally, some knife work. This included how to use a palm heel strike to aid in extracting a blade.