starting strength gym
Page 538 of 659 FirstFirst ... 38438488528536537538539540548588638 ... LastLast
Results 5,371 to 5,380 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Finally the neck backed off enough to chance lifting.

Bench Press: 215 for 8 singles.

Close Grip Incline Bench Press: 145 for 3 sets of 5.

Hammer Row: Sets of 5, 270-280-290.

We have guests so my lifting today was truncated.

Deadlift: 325 for 8 singles.

Seated Press: 160 for 8 not terribly taxing singles. Rather refreshing, that.

Lateral Raise: 90 for 3 sets of 12.

Cable Pulldown: 140 for 3 sets of 12.

Calf Press: Sets of 12, 270-360-450.

Rounds of stuff at the Rec Center. Speed bag, prowler, medicine ball toss, SciFit, heavy bag, elliptical, rower.

Squats: 270 for 8 singles. I managed to get the narrow rack allowing a wider hand spacing and hence, allowing a lower position of the bar on my traps. Perfect, although my depth might have been suspect.

Hammer Curls: 125 for 3 sets of 5.

Not a stellar day all told. I woke up with one of the mysterious aches that plague me in my right instep, so conditioning was all upper body work to spare my foot.

Medicine ball toss, speed bag, rower and SciFit (arms only), and heavy bag.

Then an email came from the USPA with the final roster for Drug Tested Nationals. My focus on this has been flagging, what with the gyms being closed from the Kung Flu, trying to put some equipment together to train with, and the cessation of all Special Olympics events. I simply don't have the drive to compete. Too much has happened and too much has been taken away or lost this miserable year.

Two years ago some SIU teen undergrads were stunned to see a geezer deadlifting over 300 lbs. at the Rec Center. I told them I had been competing but gave it up in 2016 after taking gold and setting 3 records at the first Drug Tested Nationals in 2016. What with that and my other records and medals, with one of them being at the USPA/IPL Worlds in 2012, I had nothing left to prove to myself and just trained to stay sharp.

That all changed last year when I started coaching Special Olympics. Summer Games inspired me to compete again and use that as a means of promoting Special Olympics in any way I could through competing with a purpose beyond my own gratification. Frankly, with everything shut down this year, what's the point now? I'll renew my membership in the USPA to keep my coaching certification current, and wait out the current suppression of everything. Once the election is over, I suspect this will all go away or the hate will morph into something else.

Next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Heh. Let's hope so Jerry.

Bench Press: 215 for 9 singles.

Close Grip Incline Bench Press: 145 for 3 sets of 5.

Hammer Row: Sets of 5, 290-300-310.

starting strength coach development program
    It's amazing the difference one day and talking to the right people can make.

I began to pull out of my funk when I saw this video. The lifter is Lucas, a Special Olympian I saw lift last year in the Summer Games in Normal, IL.

It can't help but bolster someone's spirits.

Then, DB and I got a chance to get caught up on some goings on in our region for Special Olympics with some friends. There's been some realignment of teams and athletes in this region and we will be coaching for a new team for these friends, Team Ohana. Then there was some good news about one of the athletes I coached and his outlook going forward. Whatever the situation now, it's something to look forward to whenever things gin up again later this year or next.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 08-07-2020 at 04:02 PM.