starting strength gym
Page 542 of 659 FirstFirst ... 42442492532540541542543544552592642 ... LastLast
Results 5,411 to 5,420 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Planning. I've been told by highly reliable sources I plan EVERYTHING too much. Lifting yesterday's plans were a casualty of the mysterious onset of some really painful glute and hamstring miseries. Painful enough to wake me up at O-dark-30 and make sleep a sketchy thing that night. So, off to Doc Bradley the chiropractor yesterday afternoon. Much better thereafter, although I am still feeling the right glute a little this morning.

Seated Press: 145 for 8 sets of 2.

Cable Pulldown: 75 for 3 sets of 8.

The Rec Center's Kung Flu madness continues as the equipment for lateral raises and calf presses seemed to have been disappeared or was cordoned off with crime scene tape.

Squats: 240 for 8 sets of 2.

Hammer Curls: 125 for 3 sets of 5.

I often have the willies about squats, but especially this morning. What with the glute and hamstring thing this Wednesday the prospect of getting deep was not appealing. It was not without some discomfort, but I got er done.

My right hamstring is making me pay with compounded interest for squats yesterday. So it was all upper body stuff for conditioning today. Speed bag, arms only rowing, elliptical, heavy bag, and medicine ball toss.

Also, after some exchange of emails with the meet director of the Drug Tested Indiana State Championships, I learned that world records can only be set at the IPL Worlds. You'd think after 10 years of competing I'd have learned this along the way already.

Bench Press: 190 for 8 sets of 2.

Close Grip Incline Press: 145-5, 150-3, 150-3.

Hammer Rows: Sets of 5, 310-315-320.

Deadlifts: 135-5, 225-2, 275-1, 305-2. And that, was all I could do given the grief my right hamstring was giving me. I'm gonna have to rehab that sucker because a drive to Cape Girardeau yesterday was quite unpleasant.

Weighted Dips: Bodyweight plus 55 lbs. for 3 sets of 5.

First day of the Bill Starr rehab for my hamstring, 65 for 3 sets of 25. It was tiresome but not uncomfortable. As in, I could feel the right hamstring during the lifts, but it was not painful. Just there.

After that some rounds of speed bag, elliptical, prowler, heavy bag, SciFit, medicine ball toss, and rower.

Seated Press: 145 lbs. for 8 sets with 3-2-2-2-2-2-2-2 reps.

Lateral Raise: Sets of 12, 95-100-105.

Hammer High Row: Sets of 5, 170-200-210.

Starr Rehab Deadlifts: Sets of 25, 65-65-75.

Starr Rehab Deadlifts: Sets of 25, 65-75-85. Followed by a walk around along the golf course across the road from Casa de Hurling.

Squats: 240 for sets of 3-2-2-2-2-2.

Hammer Curls: 130 for 3 sets of 5.

The rehab protocol was:

A. Fatiguing my lumbars as a result of no recovery between days.
    B. Boring with 25 rep sets.
    C. Didn't seem to fix my chronic hamstring pain when I sit and drive for more than 30-46 minutes.

So today was a test of how my hamstring felt under a load. DB was videoing my depth which is still not consistently deep enough. Gotta work on that. I seem to have lost my kinesthetic sense of depth from the month I couldn't squat when the gyms were closed. At least now I know I have a form issue to fix. The hamstring feels solid so far, bit the next 36-48 hours will tell the tale.

So, a mixed bag of good news/not so good news. Which included a couple of witless undergrads in the power rack next to the squat stand I was using. The kids couldn't quite understand that it was a bad idea to start to load or unload the thick bar they were bench pressing with while I had the bar on my back.

sigh

starting strength coach development program
    So far so good with the right hamstring. (knocks wood) The lumbars are feeling a little taxed, but not badly.

I set up some Samson blocks with DB checking my depth to determine the height to stack and use for squats in the future. I may also use a bungee cord to that height as well to set in depth when my backside comes in contact with it.

But conditioning: rounds of speed bag, prowler, stationary bike, heavy bag, elliptical for variety's sake.