starting strength gym
Page 545 of 659 FirstFirst ... 45445495535543544545546547555595645 ... LastLast
Results 5,441 to 5,450 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My left foot was griping me this morning. Another onset of the mysterious maladies of aches and pains for unknown reasons. My solution was to do things that took some of the weight off the feet. Rower, speed bag, medicine ball toss, SciFit, heavy bag, crunches, and some long neglected hamstring stretches and shoulder dislocates.

Squats: 240 for 8 sets with 3-3-3-2-2-2-2-2 reps. Of those 19 reps, I missed depth on 4 of them. A marked improvement over the last session. Those misses occurred in the last 2 sets when fatigue and fear started to set in with my lumbars.

Hammer Curls: 135 for 3 sets of 5.

Ball Cap.jpg

Jujitsu Zoom again. This session lead off with some explanation of how movement and index finger extension altered the flow of ki energy through our body in the application of striking and joint lock techniques. How controlling someone's elbow downward during a wristlock prevents them from taking any pressure off the lock and likewise how to further amp up the pain of the lock by focusing more pressure on ligaments and tendons.

We transitioned to using a staff to illustrate how foot sweeps need to be approached from a correct body angle and alignment of the feet. This in turn allows the use of the hips and the muscles of the legs to be used more effectively. I can attest to the fact that learning Judo in my latter teens did not discuss this much, and I struggled with several foot sweeps in practice.

Then on to some baton techniques using blocks transitioning into strikes. Very quick snappy stuff that would be near impossible for an attacker to anticipate and hence unable to counter in time to avoid some unpleasant blunt force trauma to the head or other parts of the body.

We finished once again with the development and projection of ki energy through the hands and fingers. I am beginning to get a better sense of the energy flows now.

VERY creaky this morning. The cause? Well, the squats Friday are the primary factor. Then again, DB and I spent a day setting up and assisting at the Special Olympics Ducky Derby and that, while fun, didn't allow for any recovery. Quite the opposite. I was approached by Illinois State House local politicians Dale Fowler and Dave Severin who wanted to chat and offered a handshake in the Time of Plague. Cool. I've heard them both in interviews on the local news station and they both have my respect. It must have been the Blue Lives Matter mask I was wearing.

Bench Press: 190 for 8 sets with 3-3-3-2-2-2-2-2 reps.

Close Grip Incline Press: 150 for 4-3-3.

Hammer Row: 330 for 3 sets of 5.

Autumn is here. I had a walk around Lake on the Campus this brisk 44F morning with the sun rising in a huge orange ball over the lake. As I was on the last leg crossing the causeway on the South side of the lake, I first heard the honking and then experienced the sudden vertical envelopment of two V shaped squadrons of the Canadian Air Force flapping overhead.

Deadlifts: 305 for 8 sets with 3-3-3-2-2-2-2-2 reps.

Weighted Dips: 70 for 3 sets of 3.

Finished by a few sets of box squats.

My thumbs are getting some calluses and some wear and tear on them from the sharp knurling on the Eleiko bar and hook grip I am using for more reps now. I may have to start taping my thumbs before they get some really bad tears.

Also, this new routine with 2-3 reps for 8 sets are really getting to me in terms of fatigue. Coming up next is a deload/dynamic effort/speed cycle. I can use the active recovery.

I renewed my USPA membership and entered the Indiana Drug Tested State Championships in December 12.

The Deload/Dynamic Effort/Speed has begun.

Rounds of prowler push, speed bag, medicine ball toss, box jumps, and heavy bag.

As it happens, when you sign up for a USPA meet now you have to declare your openers in advance. So here they are.

Squat: 242 - a state record.
    Bench Press: - 186, a state and national record.
    Deadlift: 336 - a state, national, and world record.

Deload/Dynamic Effort/Speed Cycle

Today's attire was the Special Olympics Team Ohana ball cap and the t-shirt I got at the 2016 Drug Tested Nationals in Georgia.

Seated Press: 105 for 10 sets of 3.

Lateral Raise: 70 for 3 sets of 12.

Hammer High Row: 220 for 3 sets of 5.

Then some experimenting with the safety squat bar in the West Weight Room for box squats. I've known about this piece of equipment for some time. It's good for my limited shoulder mobility given where the handles are in the middle of the bar, but I was reluctant to use it because you can only compete with a straight bar. But since box squats are an assistance lift, I thought, why not. Nice bit of equipment.

The Rec Center doesn't open until 1:00 this afternoon, and the morning was so gorgeous I decided to go to my last resort during the worst of Pritzker's knee on Illinoisans' necks, the Lake on the Campus for some more Deload/Dynamic Effort and speed work. The lake was glassy and the trees were brilliant.

Kettlebell swings, fartlek intervals*, medicine ball slams, and clap push ups. Very invigorating.

*Fartleks: A Swedish word that does not mean what you might think. Literally translated it means speed play; consisting of walking, jogging, and sprinting. Uff da! Once as fashionable in fitness circles as those stylish battle ropes are now.

starting strength coach development program
    [emoji106]