starting strength gym
Page 546 of 659 FirstFirst ... 46446496536544545546547548556596646 ... LastLast
Results 5,451 to 5,460 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just for you and my half-Swedish Dearly Beloved, Bergs.

Deload/Dynamic Effort/Speed Cycle

Squats: 190 for 10 sets of 2. Not a terribly stellar performance with less than half of those 20 reps being to adequate depth.

Hammer Curls: 95 for 3 sets of 5.

My left wrist was/is feeling tweaked for no particular reason, so flailing away on the speed bag and heavy bag was not a lot of fun. But taking some care, I did it. Along with rounds of box jumps, SciFit, and medicine ball tosses. Catching that 20 lb. medicine ball was a little tricky too.

Spotto Press: 140 for 10 sets of 3.

Close Grip Incline Press: 95 for 3 sets of 5.

Hammer Rows: 270 for 3 sets of 5.

The pain eased off a little on my left hand, and it turns out that it was/is a strained ulnar collateral ligament of my thumb. It made gripping the bar for the presses pretty unpleasant.

I have concluded that my current lifting routine has put me on the ragged edge of overtraining. The deload does not seem to be allowing for the recovery it has in the past. So, I'm laying out the Two Steps Forward and One Step Back in the Barbell Prescription, lifting program for competing old guys. I think the lower volume, especially in the deadlift, will help. I'll be doing some easy conditioning for the next indeterminate number of days because doing nothing would drive me crazy.

Today was a hodgepodge of Jacob's Ladder, speed bag, SciFit, heavy bag, and elliptical.

Along with everything else, my knees have been creaking a lot more lately. Maybe the program I am abandoning or maybe my age. If it doesn't clear up, I may start wearing knee sleeves.

I sure know the feeling of being under recovered. I guess Ripp was onto something when he wrote about doing the minimum effective dose.

Hello Mark, I can see you are doing really good in your training. Im back after 6month off. So I havent seen your blog for awhile. Have you done some compeeting? Nowdays I have a popcorn machine in each knee, if its painfree I use the 3mm sleeves for comfort and soundsilencing. If its pain I go for the 5mm. I probably have to get a 7mm or more in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    I sure know the feeling of being under recovered. I guess Ripp was onto something when he wrote about doing the minimum effective dose.
    Yeah, I'm beginning to feel better already after just some easy walking around the last couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by 57bergstrm View Post
    Hello Mark, I can see you are doing really good in your training. Im back after 6month off. So I havent seen your blog for awhile. Have you done some compeeting? Nowdays I have a popcorn machine in each knee, if its painfree I use the 3mm sleeves for comfort and soundsilencing. If its pain I go for the 5mm. I probably have to get a 7mm or more in the future.
    My knees are a little better from taking just the short break so far. As for competing, the Kung Flu our politicians have used an an excuse to put their knee on our necks has kept me off the platform for a while, but I am signed up for the Indiana State Drug Tested meet in mid-December.

starting strength coach development program
    First day of the Two Steps Forward One Step Back (TSFOSB) routine.

Squats: 225 for 5 sets of 4.

Power Cleans: Since I'm linking all my lifts to percentages of my 1RM in the lift. So I tested and was a little taken aback to see it had fallen to 155. But then my lumbars were taxed from squats.

Hammer Curls: See above, 145.