starting strength gym
Page 547 of 659 FirstFirst ... 47447497537545546547548549557597647 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,470 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rounds of speed bag, SciFit, handball, medicine ball toss this morning.

Week 1 of TSFOSB, 75% of 1RM.

Bench Press: 175 for 5 sets of 4.

Swiss Bar Seated Press: As mentioned earlier, I tested my 1RM in this lift to link it to the 75% parameter. 145 lbs.

Hammer Rows: See above, 350 lbs.

This morning was a random selection of stuff, Jacob's Ladder, prowler pushes, speed bag, rower, heavy bag, crunches. The new routine so far seems to be affording adequate recovery between lumbar taxing squats and deadlifts. Although tomorrow and the next day will give a still better indicator.

75%

Deadlifts: 285 for 5 sets of 2.

Hip Belt Squats: Sets of 4 95-135-185.

It struck me last night that I am a mere 7 weeks from the Indiana State Drug Tested Championships. A rather sobering realization, given my switch of routines last week and the need to peak and maybe test my 1RM's in the three lifts; squat, bench press, and deadlift. The only real question is the deadlift. I doubt much, if any improvement in the other two lifts.

The good news is that even the day after deadlifts this morning, my recovery in the lumbars is proceeding apace. This bodes well for eking out 5-20 more lbs. in the deadlift.

Ball Cap.jpg

Jujitsu Zooming after a slight hiatus.

Work today was with the short Yawara stick using it for blocks of hand and foot strikes and then counter strikes. There was a transition to using the baton for the same techniques. The emphasis on blocking was to use the weapons to target the bones of the hands, arms, feet and legs. Then use of striking a pressure point on the upper chest/shoulder area and pulling the weapon forcefully downward to fully energize (and not in a good way for the attacker) the effect of the strike on the central nervous system.

We concluded with some less aggressive counters to basic wrist grabs. This to me is the great strength of this art. So many arts teach nothing but hard strikes as counters or devastating takedowns or joint locks. What we did was to effect a release from the grab, move in and check any further aggressive movements, and finally to move them away from you while moving away yourself. Just the thing for avoiding a charge from LE for overescalating a response to some low key groping.

Cycle 1: 75% of 1RM.

Seated Press: 135 for 3 sets of 5.

Weighted Dips: After determining a 1RM , 55 lbs. for 5 sets of 4.

Pull Ups

Helga, the would-be she wolf of the Hitler Jungend mask Nazis was working at the desk when I arrived. She promptly went on patrol in search of offenders.

This soggy morning's conditioning consisted of rounds of Speed bag, prowler, rower, elliptical, heavy bag, and SciFit.

Primary Loading: 80% of 1RM.

Squats: 240 for 5 sets of 5. A really good session, given that I hit depth in 24 of 25 reps in the work sets.

Power Clean: 125 for 3 sets of 3.

starting strength coach development program
    Nice going Mark, glad to hear it went so well.