starting strength gym
Page 550 of 659 FirstFirst ... 50450500540548549550551552560600650 ... LastLast
Results 5,491 to 5,500 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yesterday's endorphins and sense of triumph have been eclipsed by today's cortisol and lactic acid. You get to pay for your achievements with the iron on the installment plan. I am sore EVERYWHERE!

But I still decided to metabolize off what I could on the speed bag, the rower, Jacob's ladder, elliptical, heavy bag, and SciFit.

I decided to check my total of 915 against the powerlifting rankings. As it happens, my total (once it gets affirmed by judges in a meet) will rank me second in 2020. I thought the field was a little thin, which makes sense given all the BS from the Kung Flu this year, so I looked up 2019 for a better sense of perspective. I would rank fourth in that year. Pretty cool.

I'm letting the stress on the central nervous system subside some by refraining from more lifting until next Monday when I take up the 75% preparatory loading phase again of Two Steps Forward One Step Back programming. Gotta recover for the main event next month.

I didn't want to chance the stress on my feet by doing box jumps but I did mix in some other lately neglected conditioning rounds this morning. Handball, speed bag, kettlebell swings, AND heavy bag. Interspersed with this was some experimentation with the Samson blocks to find the right height for partial deadlifts from the knee and above. My legs were shaking hard as I got the bar past my knees on the 385 yesterday, and it appears this segment of the pull is now my weak link. So, time for some assistance work in it. I could do rack pulls in the power rack, but that has a tendency to beat up the bar, where blocks with bumper plates keep the equipment copacetic. Hence, block pulls it is.

I was sporting my newly acquired Rebel Alliance ball cap this morning. Funny how the enlightened and opened minded dems among us had QUESTION AUTHORITY as a vocal and visible bumper sticker as one of their Pillars of Secular Faith. Not anymore though. Given the World Health Organization's position on masks NOT to be worn during exercise, one has to wonder if that. Heavens knows, Bidet has vowed his own support of WHO if he succeeds in the nationwide Tammany Hall style takeover of the White House.

It continues to amaze me how little I seem to have learned or perhaps remembered from past experiences sometimes. I have had a LOT of injuries in my life. My feet are no exception, what with a broken right ankle from high school football, then nearly every toe on both feet being broken at least once and a few several times from the Judo team in college. Then there was another broken right ankle when I was eliminated in the second round of the NCAA Regionals in Judo my senior year in college. Last but not least, the small but vital broken bone on the outside of my right foot as I was walking off the mat from Jujitsu after a 3 hour session.

Bottom line? This accumulates and gives me problems now and again. I have to buy some really good, supportive, and expensive shoes to keep from having pain. Something I got careless about with my New Balance hiking boots the last month or so. I used shoe goo to repair my separated soles twice since the Kung Flu hit. Our Daughter and Dearly Beloved both remarked that my right foot seems to have been pronating badly lately. So I finally took a close look at my shoes and sure enough, they were falling apart, especially the right shoe. Time for some new ones. Overnight my foot problems are clearing up after replacing those poor beat up things.

You'd think I could keep all this in mind and would be intelligent enough to heed the women in my life. But no, I have to re-learn this every few years or so.

You are not alone. LOL. I have a similar malady evaluating my own foot ware. I can see it clearly in others. Good luck with that.

Accumulation @ 75% of 1RM.

Squats: 225 for 4 sets of 4.

Rack Pulls: 225-315-385-405-425. I set the rack pins at knee height to improve my lockout at the top for the deadlift. This progression was to determine my 1RM.

The SIU Rec Center doesn't open until 4 this afternoon so I went back to the Den Gym in Carterville. It's a far less mask-nazi environment there, albeit not as extensively equipped.

I felt compelled to spend most of my conditioning this morning on the speed and heavy bags, flailing out my irritation with so many things. But I did include some time on the rower and the SciFit. Hitting someTHING is very cathartic and lacks the drawbacks of hitting someONE to burn off the anger.

Bench Press: 175 for 4 sets of 4.

Seated Press: 105 for 4 sets of 4.

Hammer Row: 210 for 4 sets of 4.

Deadlifts: 285 for 4 sets of 2.

Box Squats: 105 for 4 sets of 4.

Back to The Den for some conditioning. It was a glorious orangey Sunrise I drove into with Crab Orchard Lake steaming mist upwards, with a flotilla of Coots paddling lazily along the IL-13 causeway on my way to Carterville.

There were a couple of others there doing penance for Thanksgiving. Today's events featured box jumps, speed bag, 25 lb. plate halos, heavy bag, and kettlebell swings.

Only two weeks out from the meet. Gotta be intelligent in the meantime to be ready.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Back to The Den for some conditioning. It was a glorious orangey Sunrise I drove into with Crab Orchard Lake steaming mist upwards, with a flotilla of Coots paddling lazily along the IL-13 causeway on my way to Carterville.
    You're baiting me.