starting strength gym
Page 557 of 659 FirstFirst ... 57457507547555556557558559567607657 ... LastLast
Results 5,561 to 5,570 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks skid. I gotta say though, this was my worst meet in terms of achieving my goals. I DID qualify for the USPA Nationals and IPL World's. But missing my 2nd and 3rd attempts in the bench press shook me so much that I got the goosies and didn't go for 385 in the deadlift like I had planned. I was aiming for third in the rankings. Next time.

Accumulation Loading @ 80% of 1RM.

Squat: 240 for 5 sets of 5.

Power Clean: Sets of 3, 75-105-135.

Conditioning is now taking on a Highland Games-centric focus.

Rounds of cable rotations, speed bag, medicine ball tosses, hammer overhead swings, box jumps, caber lifts (fixed weight 110 lb. barbell), rowing.

Preparatory Loading @ 80% of 1RM.

Bench Press: 185 for 5 sets of 5.

Push Press: 45-5, 75-1, 95-1, 125-1.

Hammer Row: 255 for 5 sets of 5.

I FINALLY got my music list for lifting put together and worked out how to use wireless headphones. Lotta backing and filling figgering this out. Old dog, new tricks. I have over an hour of classical and rock in the mix, but the shuffle dealt out Götterdämmerung, Die Walkure, Steel Claw by Tina Turner, 1812 Overture Finale, Mars the Bringer of War, and Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor. Meine Grosvater, Werner, would be so proud. This guy barely survived the Great War intact, but was left with some PTSD that plagued the rest of his life. He instilled a love of classical music in me, probably because it turned off the artillery barrages still echoing in his head for a while. He was something of a classic German himself. What with a dueling scar that made him look like a Casting Central go-to for a Wehrmacht Feld Marschall and an Iron Cross to boot.

Rounds today of speed bag, medicine ball side throws, caber lifts, heavy bag, rowing, kettlebell swings, and hammer spins. While the Meloxicam is doing a yeoman's job on my ankle, the smallest bone of my right outer foot, the one I broke in Jujitsu over 10 years ago started letting me know it was there yesterday. So out of an abundance of caution I skipped box jumps today.

Ball Cap.jpg

Some bracing Jujitsu Zoom today. Along with some yawara short stick techniques, we worked on some really chilling blocking and countering moves with knives. We finished off with a review of choking and strangling techniques that were good to have a refresher on. I haven't had any students advance to green belt as yet, which is when these techniques are first taught.

Preparatory Loading @ 80% of 1RM.

Deadlift: 305 for 3 sets of 5. Personally, I hate sets of 5 reps for the deadlift. Anything more than 3 reps is a real trial. The damn mask you have to wear in Illinois gyms while exercising had me in serious oxygen debt after the 1st set. So I took it off for the last set and gasped my way through it.

Box Squats with Safety Squat Bar: 120 for 5 sets of 2.

Music shuffle was Twilight Zone (When the Bullet Meets the Bone), Star Wars intro, Fanfare for the Common Man, William Tell Overture, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Crazy Train, Also Sprach Zarathustra, and Mars the Bringer of War. Rousing stuff.

Very rainy here this morning, but duty called and conditioning proceeded, despite the lingering effects of those deadlifts yesterday.

Rounds of speed bag, Jacob's Ladder, medicine ball tosses, box jumps, and cable rotations. Bending over deep for round back caber lifts just were not in the cards with my lower back still in recovery mode.

A review of the Powerlifting Rankings this morning showed I was actually 3rd in the world across all federations rather than 4th and 2nd nationally. I'm not sure what happened to advance me one place. But hey! I'll take it.

starting strength coach development program
    We gonna have to address you as "Sir Hurley" or "Your Lordship" now?

..............Either way nice work!!