starting strength gym
Page 568 of 659 FirstFirst ... 68468518558566567568569570578618 ... LastLast
Results 5,671 to 5,680 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This morning saw rounds of speed bag, box jumps, SciFit, heavy bag, elliptical, cable rotations, and medicine ball tosses. Taking it easy for later this week when I go for my current 1RM's.

The back was feeling a little tweeky today so I've got a session with the chiropractor tomorrow morning early to get it solid again. Then into the gym for a mock meet to determine 1RM's.

Squat:
    1st Attempt - 250
    2nd Attempt - 270
    3rd Attempt - 300

Bench Press:
    1st Attempt - 215
    2nd Attempt - 230
    3rd Attempt - 235 or 240 depending on how hard 230 felt

Deadlift:
    1st Attempt - 355
    2nd Attempt - 375
    3rd Attempt - 385 or 400 depending on how hard 375 felt

Then the first session in Jujitsu starts after a year's hiatus that evening.

Good luck Mark

Thanks Jerry.

Well that was underwhelming.

The chiropractor squared my back away and I went to the gym with a high level of confidence.

Squat: 240 and 270 went OK, but 300 wobbled and I lost my nerve. Sigh.

Bench Press: 215 was no problem, but I missed with 230 getting stuck at the usual sticking point. Twice. Sigh again.

Deadlift: 355-375-385! Five more pounds than my last 1RM attempt. Except I made a plate math error that made it all a short lived triumph when I reviewed my loading in my head later (yes, I actually am that OCD about something like this) . Then discovered that my final attempt was actually 375 and the others were likewise 10 pounds less than I had thought on the platform. So, sigh again.

The music was good though. Darth Vader Death March, Fanfare for the Common Man, William Tell Overture, Smuggler's Blues, Beethoven's 5th, Eye of the TIger, Amazing Grace, Takin' a Ride, Tusk, Requiem II, Gimme Shelter, Finlandia, Running With the Devil, Heavy Metal, Immigrant Song, Locomotive Breath, Thunderer March, Hallelujah Chorus, Marine Corps Spirit, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.

Ball Cap.jpg

First Jujitsu class in a year! Ken, the purple belt was there and a new student, named AGA from Poland, showed up. I had intended to start over at the basics and white belt techniques. Which as it turned out was needed. Not just for Aga, but for Ken too. For that matter, dredging up the basics from the memory hole took a little effort from me as well. Aga had a lot of processing to do, like all newbies. Sorting out some of the fine motor skills of rotating the wrist, pushing the elbow, and stepping while turning the hips are not intuitive for almost everyone, including many martial artists from other arts where footwork and placement do not play such a critical role. She gradually put some of it together and began to move all of it in something like harmony. Albeit with a lot of work to come.

I'll preface this by stating that what I did today is not a recommended training practice. That being, trying to get 1RM's two days in a row, especially after having failed the day before. But try it I did, being thoroughly disgusted with my performance and screw up yesterday.

I hit 230 in the bench press, just barely locking it out. I was guessing that maybe the uncalibrated plates I loaded yesterday might have been heavy by several pounds. Looks like I was right.

In the deadlift, I managed to get 385 all the way up and back. The bar came out from my thighs near the end, and they were shaking a lot. But I got it.

Now I feel redeemed.

I turned up the volume on my music to the max with Also Sprach Zarathustra, Up Around the Bend, Mars the Bringer of War, Her Strut, Semper Fidelis, Magnificent Sever Theme, Patton, When the Bullet Hits the Bone, Shipping Up to Boston, Rock You Like a Hurricane.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do
    That's a fact Jack!

starting strength coach development program
    More track practice before Spring Games next week. The throwers are getting better and tossing the tennis balls and softballs a little farther each practice session. The support of athletes for each other is great to see. Jereth was coaching one of the softball throwers to improve his arc and release. The ball sailed a good several feet farther.

Then in the track events, Sheridan's sunny personality always brightens up whatever area she is in. To add to that, her new hairstyle provided some warm color all it's own.

Working with these athletes is one of the greatest rewards that can be experienced.