starting strength gym
Page 570 of 659 FirstFirst ... 70470520560568569570571572580620 ... LastLast
Results 5,691 to 5,700 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Well that was a real cluster. Old password and even older email address problems that took all this time to resolve.

I've been sore and feeling under it for nearly two weeks. Probably the sudden onset of the return to normalcy of sorts from the Kung Flu sequestrations and the ensuing sudden increase and demands of teaching and practicing Jujitsu, coaching Special Olympics for the now completed Spring Games along with now ongoing coaching of the athletes who want to powerlift. Add to that, I took up learning some new martial arts with the medium staff (the Jo) and the sword (Iaido). Of course having a push mower for 2 1/2 acres to keep ahead of the grass crop has it's own set of demands.

But today I woke up feeling rested and ready. My new program is another very old-school Doug Hepburn routine. Hepburn never got the attention Paul Anderson did, but he was a powerhouse in his own right in the pre-steroid era of lifters.

All for 8 sets of 2.

Seated Press: 145.

Weighted Dips: 60.

Hammer High Row: 260.

All to the background of Run Like Hell, Up Around the Bend, Mars the Bringer of War, Scotland the Brave, Magnificent Seven, Danger Zone, Marseillaise, Shipping Up to Boston, Bad to the Bone, Night on Bald Mountain, Steel Claw, Run Through the Jungle, Smuggler's Blues.

Ball Cap.jpg

Jujitsu via Zoom again today. We lead off with some weapons drills with the Yawara, Jo, and club. From there we were taught some hand and arm positioning movements as set ups for throws. Much of this was a review of Judo for me, although it incorporated some elements that wouldn't pass muster in a refereed sport match. How to draw the other guy's hands down or off track with a knee or hand strike to the lower parts. Sort of takes the attention off their hands.

Then to some discussion and demonstration of how crossing a hand across the front of the attacker's face causes a reflex response of them backing up, retracting their head, or distracting their mind. Or some combination of all three. We finished off with some counterstrikes to punches, attacking the attacker's arm. These were not blocks, but strikes to pressure points on the wrist and hand that when activated feel like you've been hit with a taser.

80% of 1RM

Squat: 240, 3-2-2-2-2-2-2-2.

High Pulls: 3-2-2-2.

Music: Immigrant Song, Fanfare for the Common Man, Purple Haze, Marine Corps Spirit, Anvil Chorus, We Are the Champions, Patton, British Grenadiers, Fame, Capriccio Espagnol, Gloria, Bacchanale, Copperhead Road, Born to Be Wild, and Urgent.

Coaching Special Olympians tonight at Gold's in Marion. All of them continue to increase their totals. Kaydee managed a squat with the training bar for a total of 30 pounds. Her progress in this lift is a real triumph for her. She has resolved many of her problems with balance. This in turn has improved her deadlift.

Jereth had a great night with his squats and deadlifts as well. With strict attention to form, he has the potential for accumulating a huge total for all three lifts. He helped me and Lena with loading and unloading the bar for the other lifters.

Lena's progress in the bench press moves ahead. Her stability on the bench gets better each week with the 35 pound plates under her feet, and as her stability improves, so does her total for this lift.

If you don't mind me asking at what point in your life did you start coaching and when did you learn how to coach all these people?

Nice work Mark!

Cool stuff Mark!

Thanks guys.

To your question Eric:

It wasn't a sudden conclusion. I suppose it took root nearly 20 years ago when I started up Jujitsu. My teacher was a firm believer in having his intermediate students start teaching as soon as they had gotten past the very basics. In my case, since I'd had experience in other striking and non-striking martial arts, along with being in my 50's, it was earlier than most. His philosophy was that there are lots of martial arts practitioners but few good teachers. High levels of skill do not necessarily translate into being a good teacher, or coach for that matter. I don't look at the two as all that different.

It's funny, because my martial arts teacher had more than a little in common with elements of the Starting Strength way of thinking. Not only in teaching/coaching, but also in looking at the fundamentals of how to move and why you moved that way. But then the foot and hand movements in many of the martial arts are far more complex than the five lifts taught here.

At one point, I considered going for the SS coaching certification. I'd been to the seminar and knew that the written portion would be a bear, but I also knew I'd need the platform experience to pass muster as well. So after I retired in 2016, I started studying the ACE certification since I knew I'd need it to coach anywhere to get the experience. But that material was so wrong headed I passed on it in disgust. By that time I had also been promoted to 1st degree black belt some months before April 1, 2016 back in CA. I held off leaving CA to return to IL so I could make that promotion.

Early in 2017, I started teaching Jujitsu at the local park district. That gave me some group teaching/coaching experience. As it happened, I discovered after the fact that I had an autistic student in the class. I had to do some difficult reassessment of how to teach once I learned that, because before then, I was ready to kick the kid out of my class.

About the same time, I heard an interview of a Special Olympics athlete and regional administrator. DB and I got inspired to coach SO athletes. So we got our background check and then started getting trained by the SO organization in coaching. I have to say, their training is not that in depth. The main sports I coach are powerlifting and shot put, but I fill in on the other sports as needed. The SO powerlifting coaching cert was 3-4 hours and was little more than a summary of good lifting form and practices. Happily, the SO version of good form is pretty close to the SS model. I didn't consider that enough, so I got a coaching certification from the USPA. This was a 16 hour course over two days and was in far greater depth, and worth every bit of time and $ paid for it.

So now, I coach 3-4 people at a time in a group setting. It can get a little loosey and goosey at times keeping it all together and safe for all concerned. But worth it.

80% of 1RM

Bench Press: 185, 3-2-2-2-2-2-2-2.

Push Press: 3-2-2-2-2-2-2-2.

Hammer Row: 3-2-2-2-2-2-2-2.

Darth Vader Death March, When the Bullet Hits the Bone, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, Eye of the Tiger, Takin' A Ride, White Rabbit, I'm So Excited, Folsom Prison Blues, Damnation of Faust, Born to Be Wild, Won't Get Fooled Again.

starting strength coach development program
    Ball Cap.jpg

Working with Ken on review of Blue Belt 2nd Degree techniques. He remembered many of them but had some trouble with a particularly tricky wrist lock counter to a hand grab. The defender counter grabs the attacker's hand and then rotates his own grabbed wrist out of the grip and aligns it over the hand grab and twisting and pushing it downward and outward. He had forgotten the subtlety and complexity of this movement. It took more time on working out the kinks of this one technique than any of the others and so we didn't get more than 2/3 of the way through the total number of techniques. It's too bad, because there are some very effective takedowns in this rank that he didn't get a chance to practice.