Page 574 of 659 FirstFirst ... 74474524564572573574575576584624 ... LastLast
Results 5,731 to 5,740 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    80% of 1RM.

Deadlift: 185, 3-3-3-3-2-2-2-2.

Music: Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Darth Vader Death March, Lunatic Fringe, Dies Irae, Heard It Through the Grapevine, Ring of Fire, Madman Across the Water, All Along the Watchtower, Tusk, Mission Impossible Theme, Bad to the bone, Bolero, Magnificent Seven Theme.

Today was supposed to be squats. But some ill advised dog walking over some very irregular terrain aggravated my left ankle and set off some painful inflammation to my already sketchy degenerative joint disease in the bones of my feet and ankles. The ankle flexion required for THOSE were clearly a no-go. So more juggling was required. I had decided to get out my heavy duty velcro ankle brace and my side zip tactical boots laced and zipped as tight as I could make them for maximum support. Then dosed myself with Meloxicam and Aleve. Seems to have helped, because my ankle feels much better this afternoon.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 06-09-2021 at 04:03 PM.

Dog walking is never ill advised. Just ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Dog walking is never ill advised. Just ask them.
    Heh. How timely, I just got back from a short walk with Kronk. Not only am I recovering somewhat, we learned yesterday that Kronk somehow got the canine equivalent of a partially torn ACL. So a nice leisurely and careful walk for both of us was in order.

As alluded to above, the ankle is improving thanks of the brace and the tightly laced boot.

Even so, I stuck with upper body conditioning today to play it safe until ALL the discomfort is gone. Speed bag, plate halos, rower, heavy bag, and medicine ball tosses.

To keep my spirits up, the music was: Keep Your Hands to Yourself, Rock Island Line, Prussia's G;ory, Locomotive Breath, Up Around the Bend, Run Like Hell.

80% of 1RM.

Seated Press: 145, 3-3-3-3-2-2-2-2.

Weighted Dips: 60, 3-3-3-3-2-2-2-2.

Hammer High Row: 260, 3-3-3-3-2-2-2-2.

Music: When the Bullet Hits the Bone, Die Walkure, Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, Respect, Discombobulate, Foggy Mountain Breakdown, Great Gates of Kiev, Whole Lotta Love, Smoke on the Water, Bad Moon Rising, We're Not Going to Take Any More, Working in a Coal Mine, Fame, I'm So Excited.

I've been calming the nerves of one of the Special Olympics shot putters who discovered a guy tossed farther than he did by a few feet a couple of years ago. Jereth has been lifting since then and is in better shape and stronger now, so I assured him he can beat those few feet from back then.

was listening to Foggy Mountain just last night on Willie's Roadhouse on SiriusXM

I developed a love/hate relationship with C&W between ages 12 and 22. First, when my buddy Jim Frogge (yes, that really is his name) baled hay, most often we'd be part of the team consisting of a baler, tractor, and wagons belonging to Johnny Schoate. This was in the 60's before enclosed tractor cabs with sound systems and A/C. Johnny would crank up WJJD a C&W powerhouse out of Chicago so he could hear it over the roaring tractor AND baler. So of course we could too and got heartily tired of it since we liked rock. No chance of getting that changed.

This got reinforced at age 22, when I was new on the job as a cop. I was dispatched to a fight in a juke box and sawdust floor place in Creve Coeur, IL. A guy had hit his wife with a pool cue and as I went to take him in, she put her hand on my arm and asked me not to, because she loved him. Her other hand had a bar towel stanching her head wound. Tammy Wynette was wailing away "Stand by Your Man." That put a real hate on C&W for me.

i can see where that might affect your view somewhat!

Ball Cap.jpg

Jujitsu class via Zoom again after a number of other things had me absent on Saturdays lately. Good to be back at it.

There was instruction in the use of blocks into deflections and then into control holds or with counterstrikes. The two main blocks illustrated were X-blocks and elbow blocks. The elbow blocks have your hand grabbing the back of your neck and tucking your elbow forward and inward to protect the head and face. Once the strike is stopped or taken offline of the body it can be redirected downward or outward to off balance the attacker to maximize the effects of the counter moves.

There was discussion of moving and defending in a confined space like an airplane. The example was an out of control passenger on a flight that charged the cockpit door. Other passengers intervened to take down and restrain him. Movement forward has to be diagonal to get through narrow aisles. Strikes have to be short and often circular rather than linear. There isn't enough room for the latter. Short strikes like uppercuts, hooks, vertical fists, elbows, palm heel, and open hand palm strikes to the ears and temples are examples. Likewise knee kicks and foot stomps all working in concert to degrade the attacker's ability to resist.

starting strength coach development program
    80% of 1RM.

Squat: 240, 3-3-3-3-2-2-2-2.

High Pulls: 145, 3-3-3-3-2-2-2-2.

Music: Star Wars, Crazy Train, Fanfare for the Common Man, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Kashmir, USMC Spirit, We Will Rock You, Yakin' a Ride, Danger Zone, Marseillaise, Shipping Up to Boston, Folsom Prison Blues, The Boys Are Back in Town, Rocky.