starting strength gym
Page 576 of 659 FirstFirst ... 76476526566574575576577578586626 ... LastLast
Results 5,751 to 5,760 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks Jerry. He's not the first guy at that Golds who commented, just the most pushy and annoying.

Some conditioning today with a mish-mash. Rounds of speed bag, box jumps, SciFit, medicine ball toss, crunches, heavy bag, and cable rotations.

Great work, well beyond my ken. I come for the music, I find a lot of "lost" songs I like but don't know their names. So I go thru your lists, and listened to 6 or so this time that I didn't recognize. LOL.

Glad to provide some background to get blasted with.

The SIU Rec Center has some stupid Summer hours that keep messing with my routine. Open at 6:00 Monday and Friday, but at 12:00 during the rest of the week. Opens at 8:00 on Saturday and closed Sundays. Ridiculous for a guy who likes to git er done as part of his wakeup process. This Wednesday was particularly irritating given that lifting today would have been squats, and then a few hours later I'd be teaching and getting my skeletal structure slightly rearranged with Jujitsu.

So I did some moderate conditioning with the SciFit, Rower, and Elliptical.

Henceforth, I'll be lifting in the mornings at The Den.

Ball Cap.jpg

It was just Ken tonight at Jujitsu, so it allowed me to concentrate entirely on getting his Purple Belt techniques back up to speed. He's been lifting heavy and is really strong now. One of the techniques involves some tricky transition from a block to a twisting wrist lock that gets intensified when the defender's other hand hooks the attacker's elbow with the index and middle fingers and circles the elbow downward and backward. It winds up the attacker's arm from wrist to shoulder like a rubber band. Except the ligaments and tendons getting wound up hurt quite a bit while getting tightened up. Ken was using a LOT of strength and power to do this, and while it was uncomfortable, the technique was fully effective. So I had him back off on both and demonstrated the relatively light touch I was using that got him tapping out immediately. It took about four trials, but he finally worked out the movements and directions to take the wrist and then the elbow with a slight touch.

We finished off with several takedowns that the defender applies on the ground after having fallen or thrown. All were leg and foot hooks or entanglements that took the attacker on their back or front as they move in to follow up further on the defender. One of the takedowns had me fall backwards and knocked my head on the base of the striking dummy. Now I have a low grade headache.

80% of 1RM.

Squat: 240, 3-3-3-3-3-2-2-2.

High Pulls: 135, 3-3-3-3-3-2-2-2.

Music: 1812 Overture, Heavy Metal, Bohemian Rhapsody, Fire Down Below, Magnificent Seven, Pines of the Appian Way, A Boy Named Sue, Madman Across the Water, Royal Fireworks, Lunatic Fringe.

80% of 1RM.

Bench Press: 185, 3-3-3-3-3-2-2-2.

Push Press: 100, 3-3-3-3-3-2-2-2.

Hammer Rows: 290, 3-3-3-3-3-2-2-2.

Music: Run Like Hell, The Good/Bad/Ugly, Prussia's Glory, Rock You Like a Hurricane, Fame, Bacchanale, The Devil Went Down to Georgia, Stroke, Sharp Dressed Man, Romeo and Juliet, San Quentin Blues, Relax, Throne Room (Star Wars), Tush, Bad Moon Rising.

Ball Cap.jpg

Jujitsu via Zoom again this Saturday. There was discussion and demonstration of foot position and stepping to increase the leverage, force, and effectiveness of applied joint locks, counters, blocks, and deflections. Likewise how stepping backward and/or sideways results in drawing an attacker off balance or allowing the defender to take them down.

The instruction transitioned to a demonstration of how keeping the hands and arms in relatively close to the body makes for faster and stronger blocks. That lead to how causing an attacker's arms to extend when they have grabbed you can make it easier for the defender to apply a joint lock to their wrist, elbow, or shoulder. It plays right in with using or inducing moment arms to your advantage on an attacker while minimizing your own moment arms to be stronger.

starting strength coach development program
    80% of 1RM.

Deadlift: 310, 3-3-3-3-3-2-2-2.

Hammer Leg Press: 270-5, 360-3, 450-1, 540-1, 630-1, 680-1. Looking for a 1RM.

Music: When the Bullet Hits the Bone, Immigrant Song, Fanfare for the Common Man, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Stars and Stripes Forever, Her Strut, Scotland Forever, Eye of the Tiger, Gloria, Fire on High, Folsom Prison Blues, Ride of the Rohirrim, Fortunate Son, Frankenstein, Shaft, Spirit in the Sky.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 06-29-2021 at 08:19 AM.