starting strength gym
Page 578 of 659 FirstFirst ... 78478528568576577578579580588628 ... LastLast
Results 5,771 to 5,780 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ball Cap.jpg

Working on Purple Belt technique tonight. All of them takedowns and most of them done from the defender being on the ground countering an incoming kicking attack. I described and demonstrated how the defender could roll or shift to cut off the kick by closing the distance and by getting their own legs in the way of the attack. Then on to how to engulf both legs and roll left or right to close the attacker's base of balance and take them down in a forward or backward fall. A second set of takedowns involved scissoring a leg of the attacker and pulling the knee outward to collapse the leg or slam the back of the attacker's leg. Both of which cause hard falls forward or backward. Finally, a couple of takedowns where the attacker is thrown backward as they try to walk past the defender, and the other one a deflection of a straight punch into a soccer style kick of their front supporting foot to faceplant them. Lotsa falling for this old guy, and man am I sore.

Took it easy today with moderate cardio on mostly machines and avoiding intensity and impact. I'm still feeling the falls from last night and am planning on getting in some sword or staff work tonight.

Rounds of rower, SciFit, elliptical, plate halos, and crunches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I had a very pleasant paddle of nearly an hour on Cedar Lake this morning. Lots of picturesque bluffs and a few egrets on the shoreline. Some cormorant looking birds that I have yet to get a positive ID on. A great and relaxing time until the very end when disaster struck. The boat launch ramp had some mossy patches and I slipped on a big one getting out of the kayak. Between the slick moss and the grade, I managed to get neck deep before getting my footing again. Which did my phone no good at all. It's currently in a big package of dessicant to see if it revives. So I am off the comm grid for a while. If it doesn't resuscitate I was due for an upgrade anyway, so no great $ loss. I may have to rebuild some of the stuff on my apps, which I'm not looking forward to, but it could have been worse.
    I always keep zip lock bags in my kayaks for just that reason. Good to have a size your wallet fits in as well. Kayaking is being "in the water", not on the water. I do the same thing in my 17' jon boat, but just out of habit.

Excellent counsel. Next time. Although, I got my new phone and unexpectedly, my old phone actually was backed up and everything came up on the new one in a near seamless manner.

More Iaido with the sword again tonight. Three katas, only the first of which I feel confident in that I could recall. A simple one.

You draw the sword and step forward with the right foot and strike horizontally from left to right at neck level. Then step forward with the left foot as you bring the sword overhead and strike downward on the center line. Then flick the sword outward and to the right with the tip down to flick off any blood.

Some of the stepping in the other katas for the sword strikes seem counterintuitive and would result in a weaker strike it feels like.

80% of 1RM.

Deadlift: 310, 3-3-3-3-3-3-2-2.

Hammer Leg Press: 550, 3-3-3-3-3-3-2-2.

Music: Up Around the Bend, William Tell Overture, Dueling Banjos, When the Bullet Hits the Bone, Gladiator Waltz, Sharp Dressed Man, Tush, Ain't No Mountain High Enough, 1812 Overture, Gimme Shelter, Madman Across the Water.

Ball Cap.jpg

Jujitsu via Zoom this morning, this time from the re-opened CA dojo where I spent so many hours getting pummeled. It began with some techniques with the 24" club. It alternated between forward strike-thrusts and rearward as well. It's odd, but I had never considered a rear thrust with a club. Rear strikes to the knees, shins, and groin, yes. I used them too when surrounded by multiple assailants as a cop. Then on to using the club in a circular paddling movement to confuse, block, and deflect an oncoming attacker. We were shown an escape from a wrist grab where the defender crosses their free hand over the attacker's gripping wrist and momentarily locks it (painfully) before side stepping into a follow-on counter attack with a strike to the upper body or a takedown by clotheslining them at neck level. The counter lends itself to several other viable takedowns or strikes as well. We concluded by practicing inward and outward circular blocks with the yawara.

It's good to see the home dojo back in use, along with seeing a few of the other black belts I came up through the ranks with as white belts. Being able to see techniques practiced with partners was good too, although the distance and flat imposed and the flat two dimensional perspective was a little challenging to get interpret and get the hand and foot movements coordinated properly.

80% of 1RM.

Seated Press: 310, 3-3-3-3-3-3-2-2.

Weighted Dips: 60, 3-3-3-3-3-3-2-2.

Hammer High Row: 260, 3-3-3-3-3-3-2-2.

Music: Dream On, Rock Island Line, Chariots of Fire, Relax, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, 20th Century Fox Fanfare, Heard It Through the Grapevine, Dies Irae, Discombobulate, Barracuda, The Boys Are Back In Town, Rhapsody in Blue, Bond Theme, Eye of the Tiger, Her Strut, Run Through the Jungle, Highway to Hell, Stars and Stripes Forever.

Rounds of conditioning with some variety. Rounds of air bike, speed bag, medicine ball slams, Jacob's Ladder, heavy bag, and box jumps.

starting strength coach development program
    Deload cycle @70% of 1RM.

Squat: 210, 4 sets of 2.

High Pulls: 120, 4 sets of 2.

Music: Kickstart My Heart, The Thunderer, Hot Blooded, Scotland the Brave, Patton, Bad to the Bone, Gloria, A Boy Named Sue, The Stroke, The Great Gates of Kiev.