starting strength gym
Page 585 of 659 FirstFirst ... 85485535575583584585586587595635 ... LastLast
Results 5,841 to 5,850 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It varies from 1 to 4 minutes. The longer rest ranges for the last set or two with squats and deadlifts, bench presses are usually 2 to 3 minutes. Yesterday's rest range was 1 to 2 minutes.

DB and I went to watch a local strongman competition today. They had to scramble a little to reorganize because of rain, so the events we saw were indoors in a large barnlike gym 618 Performance. We only stayed for two events, the log press and some odd deadlift-like combination of three lifts. No idea what it was called.

Both men and women competed, and the age range for the women was particularly narrow compared to powerlifting. I'd guess most were in their 20's. For that matter, the oldest competitor among the men seemed to be 48. Different strength sports apparently have their own demographics it seems.

The log press was reasonably straightforward. The competitors clean and press, push press, or jerk the log device overhead. It looked more or less like the clean and jerk in Olympic lifting without the rules for press-outs and it was less explosive. One of the lifters lost his balance and fell sideways but fortunately the loaded log press landed away from him. We saw a top lift in this event of 360 pounds.

I am still trying to process the "deadlifting" event. It consisted of a standard deadlift bar, a loaded Apollon's Axel, and some strange loaded sled-like device. The Axel has larger diameter plates on it which shortened the range of the pull but had a thick bar which made gripping it more difficult. The sled defies my powers of description. It was called a deadsled. The three lifts were lined up and the lifters started with the standard bar and lifted it once, then the Axel which they lifted once, and finished with the deadsled doing as many reps as possible.

It was too much for the both of us. Not knowing the rules, and frankly not seeing the point of that second event with the changes of equipment and all the reps. Was it weight? Was it time? Was it the number of reps? Or some combination of all? Nope, not anything to try to puzzle out.

As odd as the Highland Games appear, what with tossing telephone poles, bags of hay with a pitchfork, stones, and other such things, the objectives are at least clear in those. I can hurt myself enough just fine, thank you very much, with a bar and some plates. Must be I'm too old of a dog for these new tricks.

The Rec Center was closed for Labor Day, so squats tomorrow instead of today. Instead, I got out the kayak for a paddle around Kinkaid Lake. It's been like Guatemala for weeks here in Southern Illinois and I don't enjoy getting out in it unless absolutely necessary.

The drive over had the usual scavengers soaring over the horizon, black buzzards and turkey vultures, always ready to clean up any road kill. But then I spotted something I'd never seen in that part of the Shawnee National Forest, a bald eagle immediately identifiable by it's white tail feathers. It set the tone for the proceedings nicely.

The marina was slightly less busy than Omaha Beach with pontoon boats, jet skis, water skiers, and a few really hot rod speed boats. I was the only self propelled watercraft around. The wakes were a good reminder of how to handle a kayak on something other than the flat water I have been on for a few decades now. There was a snowy white egret perched about 30 feet up in a tree which surprised me. I hadn't seen one perched that high before. Magnificent and elegant looking birds in flight or at rest.

I paddled across to the cliffs seen in the video below. No jumpers today, but very picturesque. I averaged 2.5 mph with an easy unforced pace of paddling for me.

90% of 1RM.

Squat: 270-1-1-1-1-1-1. These went VERY well. I reviewed Adam Fangman's video on avoiding squat errors and while I don't think I was too far off the SS model, paying a little extra attention made these singles solid, to depth, and not terribly taxing.

High Pulls: 155-1-1-1-1-1-1.

Music: Hallelujah Chorus, Mississippi Queen, Back in Black, Volga Boatmen, All Along the Watchtower, A Boy Named Sue, Rhapsody in Blue, Life in the Fast Lane, Smoke on the Water, Whole Lotta Love, Great Gates of Kiev, Barracuda.

Legacy (used to be Gold's) was closed for Labor Day, so training the Special Olympians got moved to Tuesday this week.

Everyone was back from vacation and other commitments and it was a great night for all four athletes; Kaydee, Lena, Jacob, and Jereth. Kaydee has come such a long way in her squats. She hits depth and manages now to not let her knees cave inward. Lena got 100 lbs. in the bench press all on her own with no help from me spotting her. Jacob's attention to instruction is getting his totals in the three lifts progressing upward steadily, and Jereth insisted on trying for 200 in the deadlift which he smoked with ease.

As for me, I managed to gouge my thumb while closing a new Rogue collar clamp for the bar during the deadlift. Bled like crazy and took two band aids to stanch. I keep finding new ways to injure myself in the most unlikely manners.

90% of 1RM.

Bench Press: 210-1-1-1-1-1-1.

Push Press: 120-1-1-1-1-1-1.

Hammer Row: 335-1-1-1-1-1-1.

Music: O Fortuna. Eye of the Tiger, Gimme Shelter, The Devil Went Down to Georgia, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Born to Be Wild, Shook Me All Night Long, The Battle, Sharp Dressed Man, Just Another Brick in the Wall, The Four Seasons, Respect, Dragonstone, Lunatic Fringe.

Today's conditioning had rounds of speed bag, box jumps, SciFit, medicine ball tosses, cable rotations, kettlebell swings, and heavy bag.

90% of 1RM.

Deadlifts: 345-1-1-1-1-1-1.

Hammer Leg Press: 155-1-1-1-1-1-1.

Music: Stars and Stripes Forever, Hot Blooded, Purple Haze, Shipping Up to Boston, Bad to the Bone, Pines of the Appian Way, Highway to Hell, Immigrant Song, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, When the bullet Hits the Bone, Steel Claw, Up Around the Bend, Beethoven's 5th, Her Strut, Scotland the Brave, We Are the Champions, Patton, Flight of the Bumblebee, Takin' a Ride, I'm So Excited.

I thought I might have to tape my thumb injury from Tuesday but all went well. No further injury to that 1/4" square taken out of my right thumb.

Ball Cap.jpg

Jujitsu via Zoom this morning. We worked on an 8 part striking drill consisting of roundhouses to the head, the rib cage, upper-cuts to the jaw, and straight thrusts. First empty handed, then with yawara sticks, and finally with an 18" club. It was interesting how the dynamics of striking changed from hands to short weapons and then a longer one. We then worked on some counters to strikes with clubs that ended in takedowns and joint locks. Tough to do solo.

starting strength coach development program
    90% of 1RM.

Seated Press: 160-1-1-1-1-1-1.

Partial Bench Press off the Pins: 190-1-1-1-1-1-1.

Hammer High Row: 290-1-1-1-1-1-1.

Music: 1812, Heavy Metal, Star Spangled Banner (Hendrix), Bohemian Rhapsody, The Thunderer, Fire Down Below, Ben Hur, Magnificent Seven, Danger Zone, Marseillaise, Bond Theme, Rock You Like a Hurricane, Copperhead Road.