starting strength gym
Page 586 of 659 FirstFirst ... 86486536576584585586587588596636 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,860 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A good session training the Special Olympians tonight. They keep exceeding my expectations in their lifting, not only in terms of the amount they lift, but also their improving form. More and more they are getting centered under the squat bar and with the bar positioned in the right place on their backs for a low bar squat. This is on their own and with little or no coaching or correction from me. The same is true with their hand spacing on the bar in the bench press and keeping the bar closer to their shins with the deadlift. Still a bit of work to do on this part with the deadlift, but a marked improvement from last week.

As far as the amount of weight they top out at each week, I try to maintain a balance between keeping the weights moving up each week and staying safe by causing them to try to lift too much and injure them. Even then, they want to try for more sometimes than I had programmed for them. So it was in many of the lifts with all of them tonight. Really well done by all of them.

A mix in of some of the lesser done things today for conditioning. Handball, speed bag, SciFit, box jumps, heavy bag, medicine ball tosses, and Jacob's Ladder.

Deload @ 70% of 1RM.

Bench Press: 165-1-1-1-1.

Push Press: 95-1-1-1-1.

Hammer Row: 260 1-1-1-1-1.

Music: Locomotive Breath, Twilight Zone, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Running With the Devil, My Grandaddy was a Horse Marine (Jody call), Everybody Wants You.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 09-15-2021 at 07:54 PM.

Ball Cap.jpg

Jujitsu tonight with some very focused practice on a few of the takedowns that have been a problem for the Purple Belt. So I got thrown. A lot. Made me glad I had decided to rearrange my lifting so I hadn't had my back already taxed from squats. But Ken had been practicing diligently and had made huge improvements since our last session. He's got most of the rest the rest of the techniques down pat and once he gets these last few throws mastered I'm going to promote him. His timing and footwork are much better, but he's got just a little more work to make them bullet proof.

Woke up sore all over my back side, from my lumbars to my traps and all the other muscles of the back in between. All those falls last night must have really taken their toll on me.

But: the show must go on. So I got into the Rec Center and groaned my way through it. Speed bag, stationary bike, medicine ball side toss, crunches, heavy bag, medicine ball slams, plate halos.

Deload @ 70% of 1RM.

Squats: 165-1-1-1-1.

High Pulls: 120-1-1-1-1.

Hammer Row: 260 1-1-1-1-1.

Music: Finlandia, Folsom Prison Blues, Ride of the Rohirrim, Won't Get Fooled Again, Stroke, Smoke on the Water.

Deload @ 70% of 1RM.

Deadlift: 270-1-1-1-1.

Hammer Leg Press: 480-1-1-1-1.

Music: Hot Rod Lincoln, Angel of Verdun, Ignition, Semper Fidelis, Eye of the Tiger, Radar Love, Shipping Up to Boston, Bolero, British Grenadiers, Madman Across the Water, Sharp Dressed Man, Hall of the Mountain King, Ring of Fire.

My own deadlift form has drifted off a little and I've been practicing all week at home, starting with a knee extension and thus keeping the bar right in contact with my shins. This seems to have paid off today albeit with a lighter load. Next week will tell the tale.

Conditioning was rounds of speed bag, air assault bike, kettlebell swings, box jumps, heavy bag, crunches, and medicine ball tosses.

I can't say I had a good start to my birthday. I was notified yesterday that my membership at the Rec Center was suspended for repeatedly not wearing a mask and needed to meet with "people" to discuss the matter. So I met with them this morning. I was expecting something like the nazi with the hot poker in Raiders of the Lost Ark and came in with shields on full for a hot exchange and an overturned conference table.

Instead I got no lecture or scolding at all. But it was made clear that studies to the contrary, the governor's mask order was going to be adhered to. I showed them my current heart rate with a mask on (79 bpm) when my normal resting heart rate is 60 bpm. To no avail, which is pretty much what I expected. My response was, "So much for following the science." They said they hoped I understood. My answer was "I don't understand, but I will comply. You won't see me without a mask." Which I think they recognized that "see" was my operative point.

Then, they spent the next several minutes trying to flatter me with questions about my lifting. My response to their email yesterday was that I was 7 weeks out from the IPL Worlds and did not want this disruption of my training. So I played along and got out of there as quickly as I could. Membership restored.

Deload @ 70% of 1RM.

Seated Press: 125-1-1-1-1.

Partial Bench Press from Pins: 165-1-1-1-1.

Hammer High Row: 230-1-1-1-1.

Music: Thus Sprach Zarathustra, Immigrant Song, Purple Haze, Hot Blooded, Smuggler's Blues, Scotland the Brave, Gates of Kiev, Barracuda.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I can't say I had a good start to my birthday. I was notified yesterday that my membership at the Rec Center was suspended for repeatedly not wearing a mask and needed to meet with "people" to discuss the matter. So I met with them this morning. I was expecting something like the nazi with the hot poker in Raiders of the Lost Ark and came in with shields on full for a hot exchange and an overturned conference table.

Instead I got no lecture or scolding at all. But it was made clear that studies to the contrary, the governor's mask order was going to be adhered to. I showed them my current heart rate with a mask on (79 bpm) when my normal resting heart rate is 60 bpm. To no avail, which is pretty much what I expected. My response was, "So much for following the science." They said they hoped I understood. My answer was "I don't understand, but I will comply. You won't see me without a mask." Which I think they recognized that "see" was my operative point.

Then, they spent the next several minutes trying to flatter me with questions about my lifting. My response to their email yesterday was that I was 7 weeks out from the IPL Worlds and did not want this disruption of my training. So I played along and got out of there as quickly as I could. Membership restored.

Deload @ 70% of 1RM.

Seated Press: 125-1-1-1-1.

Partial Bench Press from Pins: 165-1-1-1-1.

Hammer High Row: 230-1-1-1-1.

Music: Thus Sprach Zarathustra, Immigrant Song, Purple Haze, Hot Blooded, Smuggler's Blues, Scotland the Brave, Gates of Kiev, Barracuda.
    Happy birthday!
    Yes the mask thing's a pain in the ass. We have DeSantis (no wasting time/$ leading horses to masks and vaccines: instead - treatment centers for whomever becomes ill); and still some places ask you to wear a mask!