starting strength gym
Page 589 of 659 FirstFirst ... 89489539579587588589590591599639 ... LastLast
Results 5,881 to 5,890 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    90% of 1RM.

Squats: 270-1-1-1-1-1-1-1. Very hard this morning. I'm not sure I made depth on all but 2 of the singles.

High Pulls: 125-1-1-1-1-1-1-1.

Good thing I moved squats from yesterday to today. I tweaked my back memorably this morning. I didn't realize that the "POP" that I heard on my 2nd single was that big of a deal at first. That happens not all that infrequently and generally means nothing much. But an hour or so later, whoa! I can't imagine trying to have taught Jujitsu with my back like this. Already got an appointment with the bone cracker tomorrow.

90% of 1RM.

Bench Press: 210-1-1-1-1-1-1-1.

Hammer Row: 335-1-1-1-1-1-1-1.

Had to pass on push presses. The shock wave that is generated by that quick knee bend was more than my back could stand. Lifting in general was a test of my fortitude. Every time I laid down and got back up again from the bench hurt around a scale of 8.

Music: Highway to Hell, Kaiser March, Smuggler's Blues, Ben Hur Theme, Semper Fidelis, We Are the Champions, Gloria, Tusk, Fire on High, Folsom Prison Blues, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The adjustment I got Friday cleared things up for me for a few hours and then the tweak reasserted itself. Not as bad, but definitely back. Today was supposed to be deadlifts, but nuh-uh on that until the back gets squared away.

Thus, I took another "easy" day of conditioning to protect the back for now. Rounds of speed bag, recumbent bike, plate halos, medicine ball tosses, and long intervals in between of moderate walking.

In other news, I added a "Let's Go Brandon" ball cap to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post

In other news, I added a "Let's Go Brandon" ball cap to my collection.
    OOORAH

sigh

Deadlift: 115-3, 185-3, 275-1, 305-1, 345-1. Which was a miserable shortfall for what was SUPPOSED to be 7 singles.

Bailed entirely on leg presses.

A thoroughly bad day (again!) which was the result of multiple causes. It would be easy to attribute it simply to my back problems. Although they were persisting and weakened my legs to the point that I barely eked out that one single. In reality, my head is in a really bad place from a lot of what should be extraneous off-stage drama. In fact, however, it involves Special Olympics, which was the only reason I took up beating myself up with the effort and intensities involved with competition. Not sure where that stuff will lead, but it sure played ping pong with my brain today.

Cut yourself some slack. Sucks that the tweak is probably not completely gone, but you'll work through it!
    I would kill for a 345 single... just saying.

Will do. It's just aggravating to get this ding so close to the upcoming Worlds. I may have to scale back my original plans for my attempts, and my goal to get to 4th place in the international cross-federation rankings, but can still set IPL records in the bench press and deadlift, even if I can't do better than 225 in the bench press and 345 in the deadlift.

I took today off from everything. Including teaching Jujitsu tonight. The chiropractor I went to for a 3rd(!) treatment yesterday said at this point, the muscle was inflamed and needed a break to recover. So, a break it is.

Back to the salt mines.

90% of 1RM.

Bench Press: 210-1-1-1-1. All these singles were relatively easy and solid.

Hammer Row: 335-1-1-1-1. Same as above.

TEST REPS: Just to gauge where my back was after the recent unpleasantries.

Deadlifts: 135-5.

Squats: 45-5.

A really good return to the gym. Far better than I feared things might go.

I've been sleeping 9-10 hours this week. I suspect this was a clear sign I was a wee past on the sharp edge of overtraining. Normally I sleep 7-8 hours. Hopefully this hiatus was just what I needed so as to not disgrace myself all too soon at the IPL Worlds.

starting strength coach development program
    90% of 1RM.

Squats: 270-1-1-1-1. I am SURE I made depth just on the first single. The others may have been OK, but I have a bungee cord rigged just below my correct depth and it didn't show any movement on the other 3 singles. This is mostly, I suspect, a function of my growing willies over the upcoming Worlds.

High Pulls: 165-1-1-1-1.

It was a good news/not so good news this morning. I woke up with a really sore right medial instep and an achy right knee. Not a good omen for squatting. The knee held up fine though, and so far my back feels OK. So far. The instep, was hard to walk on and it may have limited my depth a little.

On the other hand, my weight got down to 238, which is right about the cushion and margin I wanted to be safe in making weight below 242.

No music today. I wanted complete concentration on squats because of my concerns over my back tweak and making depth.

The last few weeks I noticed my spirits have gotten a little low. I attribute this in part to reading The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius. He has mostly good things to say and a few obscure things meaningful only to himself at the time. Then, a few more that seemed to me to be the ruminations of an aging man grumbling about the futility of it all and how in the end, no one will remember anything accomplished. This has been coupled with a difficult decision of my own this weekend over starting and coaching a Special Olympics powerlifting team for the entire Southern Illinois region. It was offered as a possibility by the regional director during a discussion last week and sadly, DB and I don't have the level of energy and commitment for that large of a task. Coaching as part of a larger team, sure. But not striking out on our own.