starting strength gym
Page 590 of 659 FirstFirst ... 90490540580588589590591592600640 ... LastLast
Results 5,891 to 5,900 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Back to training Special Olympics athletes tonight. Despite some necessary isolation from possible exposure to Covid Jereth and Kaydee were back and ready to rumble. Lena, as always was hard at work and her usual helpful self. Helpful, in this case, was reminding me I had already loaded one side of the barbell and didn't need to add more weight. Always good to keep the coach honest and on his toes. I had a pleasant chuckle out of it.

The lifters are getting better at remembering hand spacing references on the bar without a lot of coaching. I had anticipated a more gradual break-in for Jereth and Kaydee, but both exceeded my expectations. Especially Jereth. Both lifted more than I had originally planned for them tonight and I loaded more up for them when they were pretty firm in asking for more.

Lena's success with the safety squat bar had me have her try using a standard bar again. She did well. Her deadlift form started out flawless and although the bar drifted out a little on her top single, she handled the weight with ease. More work ahead, but she's diligent in her efforts and listening to me.

Mark, you're doing plenty. Don't get guilted into doing more than is good for you. If it's not good for you... it won't be good for them... despite good intentions.

I am have the most envy over getting down to 238. I've had some success but have been stuck in the 252-256 range for a bit.

If you don't take care of you... no one will. You are doing good things... so it is important to have you around.

Great lifts btw.

Good advice CP and much appreciated that you took the time and cared enough to give it. As the title of the thread says, I'm sneaking up to the finish line and I might as well enjoy the time I have. Also thanks for the compliment about my lifts.

The knee is fine today and the foot is much better. But, not to take any chances I did things to not tax it today for conditioning. Rounds of speed bag, SciFit, plate halos, medicine ball tosses, crunches, and heavy bag.

I had anticipated some massive DOMS after going back to squats after a week layoff. But no, all was good today.

90% of 1RM.

Seated Press: 160-1-1-1-1.

Partial Bench Press From Pins: 190-1-1-1-1.

Hammer High Row: 290-1-1-1-1.

Music: When the Bullet Hits the Bone, Danger Zone, Marseillaise, Shipping Up to Boston, Copperhead Road, Ride of the Rohirrim, Shook Me All Night Long, Respect, Bad Moon Rising, Tush, Under Pressure, Rite of Spring.

My back feels better than it has for weeks. A good sign and has me feeling more up and confident than I have been lately.

Ball Cap.jpg

A really good session of Jujitsu tonight. We worked on some review of control holds and some alternative entries for applying them. The right angle hold (sankyo) was giving Ken a really hard time until I figured out that he was turning counterclockwise instead of clockwise to apply the lock.

Then onto several variations of gooseneck wristlocks. The back gooseneck was another difficult one to to learn and to teach. All the action takes place out of view of the person it is being applied on. So unless there's someone else to see it applied on, the person trying to learn it can only rely on how it feels and the words used by the teacher to convey how it's done. Just now there's only Ken and I, but there was an Aikido class nearby and when both classes were over, I asked one of the Aikido students if I could borrow them so Ken could see what it looked like. Light bulb moment. The Aikido student was interested, so I demonstrated it on Ken so he could see it.

During the gooseneck techniques Ken improvised a rear takedown that was pretty slick. It turns out that with a few tweaks it was a more advanced technique taught at a higher belt level. But the fact that Ken managed to think beyond the narrow parameters of the technique I was teaching (something I have always encouraged in the people I teach) made me very happy. It made all the falls and getting beat up I endured for the last months teaching him worth every bit of the hurt.

Conditioning today with rounds of speed bag, box jumps, cable rotations, medicine ball slams, heavy bag, and rower.

Feeling entirely pulled up and out of the Slough of Despond, as Bunyan characterized it in Pilgrim's Progress. Marcus Aurelius can reside in musty obscurity as far as I am concerned at this point. Elements of stoic philosophy still attract me, but I think I'll go with Epictetus and Cicero going forward. Oh, and Norman Vincent Peale. Then there was no doubt overtraining involved that added to my plunge. But all that is all over now.

90% of 1RM.

Deadlifts: 345-1-1-1-0. The singles started out strong but got shakier as I went. This, I think, is the price I paid for getting my weight down to 238. I'll have to adjust my expectations on my total downward looks like.

Music: Locomotive Breath, Run Like Hell, Death of Siegfried, We Will Rock You, Eye of the Tiger, Magnificent Seven theme, Takin' a Ride, Peter Gunn, Tuck, White Rabbit, Amazing Grace.

Ball Cap.jpg

Jujitsu via Zoom led off with some of the finer points of off-balancing someone to set up for a throw. How to use the hands to create buoyancy and how to step to maximize your own balance and usable strength to draw and force other guy into being weak. Then a little work using the yawara for striking and then escaping and deflecting from wrist grabs. Also how to use the yawara to effect a wrist lock on the guy who grabs you. From there, some of the astonishingly painful finger locks, bars, and control holds used against attempted shoves or grabs.

The session concluded with some of the restorative techniques. The first was how to get some energy and feeling back in the wrenched fingers and wrists when the finger bars are used on them. Which was a little ironic, since I had just showed this technique to Ken Wednesday night after teaching some to him. It works to get them back in better commission almost immediately. Then there was the open handed smack to the back of your own neck which can revive you from the drowsies when you get tired from a class or driving. Works for 20 more fresh minutes of attention and one more try afterward, but on the other side. Otherwise some undesirable complications can occur. Like diarrhea.

starting strength coach development program
    90% of 1RM.

Bench Press: 210-1-1-1-1.

Hammer High Row: 290-1-1-1-1.

Music: Kashmir, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, O Fortuna, Star Spangled Banner (Hendrix), Her Strut, Scotland the Brave, We Are the Champions.

This is an odd day for me to be lifting, I grant you. The Rec Center doesn't open until 1:00 and I generally don't like lifting that late in the day when I train. But I'm going through some major anxiety over the upcoming Worlds meet. I have structured my life around this event for the last several years and had to stand down when the Worlds meet got cancelled. I was quieter than normal when DB and I took a drive through the scenic toe of Illinois to Elizabethtown along the Ohio River. Even the bare beginnings of leaves turning here is always worth a few hours on the road.

The Rec Center was largely deserted when I went and the bench pressing went without a hitch and renewed my confidence at least over that lift. My back is feeling the strain of the 4th failed single of the deadlift though. I was going into this meet with high hopes and confidence, but the last 6 weeks have sunk some of that. My striving for a higher level squat and a near 400 deadlift look like a thing of the past just now. I'm headed to the chiropractor for another adjustment and depending on the prognosis, maybe some more rest for my lumbars. None of which will improve by deadlift or squat.

All that considered, I will NOT stand from trying to do the best I am capable of next month.