starting strength gym
Page 595 of 659 FirstFirst ... 95495545585593594595596597605645 ... LastLast
Results 5,941 to 5,950 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ball Cap.jpg

Jujitsu via Zoom today. It featured, among other things, a different kind of two handed block than I had seen before. A palm downward or outward block, reinforced with the other hand also in a palm down or out position. This set up for a very quick and smooth transition from a block and check with the lower hand leading to a counterstrike with the topmost hand. Alternatively, it set up for a grab by the topmost hand for an arm bar, or a reach over into a choke or strangle.

There were some other reviews of counters to a front choke that showed a variant using one of the defender's hands to reach across and apply a right angle hold (sankyo) to the attacker. Not simply freeing yourself from the choke, but countering into a control hold. Likewise, another counter to a front choke using an inside windmill technique. Nothing new in using it standing, but then it diverged into how to use this if you are stuck on your back on the ground after a takedown. This was not something I had seen taught before. Very slick.

Finally, Master Bellman, my teacher, or Sensei if you prefer, publishes a weekly newsletter. I sent him an idea for an article for something I had learned from him and Joh Helms after I had already sent him the detailed account of my travails and successes at the Worlds. He put a combination of the two emails in this week's newsletter. The opening few paragraphs are new. I left off the rest since it has already been posted here.

I recall Professor David Bellman saying something like, “If you are in a serious fight, you might get hit and you might even get badly hurt, but you still have to do what you have to do, so you stay focused on what you are doing and don’t worry about the other things.” I also remember Professor John Helms having some sound advice about techniques. “No matter how good you think your techniques are, just remember, the other guy gets a vote when you execute it.” I have learned that words from your martial arts instructors are powerful tools to live by, even when it concerns other situations.

I thought it was very kind of him and thanked him today after the teaching was done.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 11-20-2021 at 01:05 PM.

90% and 75% of 1RM.

Squat: 220, 1-1-1-1-1. 180-5 for a backoff set.

Reverse Hyperextension: 72, 8-8-8.

90% 1RM for singles and 75% for backoff set.

Bench Press: 190, 1-1-1-1-1. 160, 5.

Push Press: 110, 1-1-1-1-1. 90, 5.

Hammer High Row: 250, 1-1-1-1-1. 210, 5.

Some conditioning today. I enlisted DB's assistance in checking my squat depth to lead off. Monday's squat session left me wondering if I had it right, so time to verify sooner rather than later. As it happened, I was good to go.

Rounds of speed bag, elliptical, medicine ball toss, and heavy bag. Average heart rate was 128 bpm @ 85% of maximum heart rate.

Deadlift: 305, 1-1-1-1-1. 255, 5.

The Rec Center was closed so I was alone lifting in the Den.

The session burned 595 calories with an average heart rate of 129 bpm @ 86% of maximum heart rate.

Seated Press: 160, 1-1-1-1-1. 135, 5.

Pin Press: 185, 1-1-1-1-1. 150, 5.

Hammer Low Row: : 260, 1-1-1-1-1. 215, 5.

Music: When the Bullet Hits the Bone, Up Around the Bend, Star Wars, Rawhide, Takin' a Ride, Amazing Grace, A Boy Named Sue, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Life in the Fast Lane, Stroke, Urgent, Battle, The Boys Are Back in Town, Discombobulate.

Curious thing. The results for the IPL Drug Tested Worlds were finally posted and as I looked at my total, I discovered that I actually made 352 in my 2nd and final successful attempt in the deadlift. Somehow I got it into my head that it was 341. All of which goes to show what the effects of fatigue, stress, and excitement will do to your memory. Masaad Ayoob had some sage words on that subject as it related to high intensity engagements in law enforcement.

When Masaad speaks, I listen. The Wilson Combat youtube channel has great videos with him, Ken Hackathorn, and Bill Wilson.

Back in the 70's when I was a cop, he was the only source of reliable and accessible information there was on LE matters great and small. No internet in those days and it was well nigh impossible to find anything authoritative that made any sense.

What really did it for me was his article on the expansion and contraction of the perception of time. As in, how time slows down when you go into a skid before a collision, and then returns to normal or speeds up even faster than normal at the point of impact. Until I read his article, I thought that was something that only happened to me.

starting strength coach development program
    Deload week. 70% and 60% of 1RM.

Squat: 175, 1-1-1-1-1. 145-5 for a backoff set.

Reverse Hyperextension: 50, 8-8-8.