starting strength gym
Page 600 of 659 FirstFirst ... 100500550590598599600601602610650 ... LastLast
Results 5,991 to 6,000 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Deload/Dynamic Effort/Speed Work @ 70% of 1RM and 60% for the backoff set.

Seated Press: 125, 1-1-1-1-1. 105-5 for a backoff set.

Pin Press: 140, 1-1-1-1-1. 120-5 for a backoff set.

Hammer Low Row: 205, 1-1-1-1-1. 180-5 for a backoff set.

Music: Crazy Train, Fire Down Below, Patton, Radar Love, Shipping Up to Boston, Bond Theme, Ring of Fire, Respect, Miami Vice, Tush, Ain't No Mountain High Enough.

Average HR of 123 bpm @ 82% of MHR for 35 minutes.

Bench Press: 202, 1-1-1-1-1. 170-5 for a backoff set.

Push Press: 110, 1-1-1-1-1. 90-5 for a backoff set.

Hammer High Row: 250, 1-1-1-1-1. 210-5 for a backoff set.

Music: Locomotive Breath, Kaiser Marsch, Rock You Like a Hurricane, Fame, Copperhead Road, Ride of the Rohirrim, Urgent, Smoke on the Water, Sharp Dressed Man, The Boys Are Back in Town, Ghost Riders in the Sky,

Average HR of 113 bpm @ 75% of MHR for 58 minutes.

I woke up feeling like I had been through a spin cycle. Back was all locked boogered up and my left foot was acting up worse than it usually does when it gets the occasional gripe that the Hurling clan seem to get with their feet. Bad inherited bone structure. The chiropractor got my chassis realigned in good order, but I'm nursing my foot just now.

Seated Press: 160, 1-1-1-1-1. 135-5 for a backoff set.

Pin Press: 190, 1-1-1-1-1. 155-5 for a backoff set.

Hammer Low Row: 250, 1-1-1-1-1. 215-5 for a backoff set.

Music: Night on Bald Mountain, Steel Claw, Ben Hur Overture, Scotland the Brave, We Will Rock You, Eye of the Tiger, Magnificent Seven, Foggy Bottom Breakdown, Discombobulate, 20th Century Fox Fanfare.

Average HR of 114 bpm @ 76% of MHR for 51 minutes.

Snowing away at a merry clip here, where we seldom see it. Roads are slick and the schools are closed in some of the hilly rural counties, and no wonder. A few of those counties have just one high school and only a few feeder elementary or middle schools and lot of roads in between that need to be salted and plowed with few trucks to do it.

Even so, DB and I went to the gym. I was getting stir crazy nursing my foot, and at that I played it safe and did this routine instead of deadlifts. Squats went by the wayside on Monday given that I didn't want to load up my bad foot. It might have been marginally smarter to stay home, but no. After all, I made it through the blizzards of 1966 as a teen, stuck in the house with our parents snowed in 20 miles away for a few days before the roads got cleared. Then there was the blizzard of 1978 when they had to resort to endloaders berming up the snow over 10 feet high on the road shoulders by the time the snow had stopped. After all, I didn't get that Explorer ST with AWD and big honking all weather tires to just look pretty.

Deadlift: 320, 1-1-1-1-1. 270-5 for a backoff set.

Hip Belt Squats: 95-185-225-275. Looking for a 1RM and relearning the vagaries of this lift.

Average HR of 132 bpm @ 88% of MHR for 59 minutes.

Jujitsu via Zoom today. It was a mash up of knife, club, and short stick (yawara) techniques with mostly striking drills. Near the end of the session we also covered how to block strikes from a club with the yawara, despite the disadvantage in reach of the two. Then how to entangle the club with the yawara and disarm the attacker. Included were how to use the yawara to encircle an attacker's wrist and create a painful lock to get them under control. In between were some pattern drills including kicks, escapes from grabs, and hand strikes.

The self demonstration for the Girl Scouts came together unexpectedly quite fast at the last minute. Tomorrow afternoon is the day. Fortunately, I developed a lesson plan some time ago and tweaked it for this particular audience of girls. I added in some defenses from the ground for this one, they are some things I discovered last year when working with Ken on his Purple belt techniques.

The Girls Scout demo was fun. The girls ranged in age from around 10 to early teens. Each teacher did 30 minutes of teaching and I asked to go last so I could get a sense of how best to proceed. Which turned out to be a good idea, since my plans if carried out would have been less than stellar. So I kept it even more simple than I had thought would be good and followed up with some similar techniques that the Aikido people used but with the different method of escape than they teach. The girls were a cheerful and chatty bunch, some of the more athletically inclined picked things up fairly well and others needing some more detailed hands-on in how to move effectively. The discussion afterward was peppered with many good questions from the girls about how to live and be as safe as generally possible these days. The troop leader said that if we were interested the troop might want some more sessions.

90% 1RM for singles and 75% for backoff set.

Squat: 224 (more fractional plates at work), 1-1-1-1-1. 180-5 for a backoff set.

High Pulls: 165 1-1-1-1-1, 135-5.

Music: Die Walkure, When the Bullet Hits the Bone, Run Like Hell, Purple Haze, Her Strut, We Will Rock You, Pines of Rome, Flashdance, I'm So Excited, Tusk.

Average HR of 134 bpm @ 89% of MHR for 52minutes.

OK, I took the plunge. I just signed up for the powerlifting meet in Marion at the Pavilion on February 5. Since it's not in the federation I have competed in before, it's less about record setting and more about getting the practice in for the USPA sanctioned meets later this year.

I'm sure that going to the meet will get you a few more pounds on your lifts.

starting strength coach development program
    No doubt. I intend to open with a bench press of 192, which is 5 lbs. over my national record in the IPL. I am confident I can make 225 this time. Also I am sure can eke out 10 more pounds in the squat and deadlift as well.