starting strength gym
Page 602 of 659 FirstFirst ... 102502552592600601602603604612652 ... LastLast
Results 6,011 to 6,020 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ball Cap.jpg

Working with Ken again tonight. His execution of the first set of techniques took a lot of tweaking to get them to be effective. They involve some complex twisting and manipulation of the fingers and wrist in the correct counterclockwise vector. But then, we moved on to over half a dozen other techniques that he already had nailed, or dang close to it. Which struck me as odd since the others involved much of the same complex manipulation, just at other points of entry. All in all, an very good session.

MLK's birthday had the Rec Center on odd hours Monday, so squats got moved to Tuesdays. I figgered I'd try to power through the week with no Wednesday conditioning. But squats wasted my legs and back, so I did conditioning today to "recover" a little for deadlifts tomorrow.

This consisted of rounds of speed bag, Scifit, rower, heavy bag, woodchoppers, and medicine ball tosses.

Average HR of 133bpm @ 89% of MHR for 31 minutes.

Deadlift: 324, 1-1-1-1-1. 270-5 for a backoff set.

Hip Belt Squats: 315, 1-1. Quads too gassed to continue after deadlifts.

Music: Locomotive Breath, Darth Vader Death March, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, Heavy Metal, Shipping Up to Boston, Fire Dance, Gimme Shelter, Folsom Prison Blues, Smoke on the Water, Barracuda, Keep Your Hands to Yourself, Bad Moon Rising.

Average HR of 122bpm @ 81% of MHR for 65 minutes.

Another session of showing self defense to the Girl Scouts. My student, Ken, had texted that he had been in a class where several others had come down with Covid. So once DB and I got to the Park District Life Center, I enlisted the aid of one of the Karate students that I know and had talked with before. That covered, I asked to lead off this time, concentrating on how to fall safely and why it's important then moving on to what to do on the ground. The short message was how fend off the initial assault, and get up again and out of there ASAP.

I put the girls through the first two stages of learning a back fall and was happily surprised to see how well and how quickly they picked up the rudiments of it. From there, I showed how to land with one knee bent upward to spear an incoming attacker's midsection, or better still their groin, as they attempt to pounce. Then how it was important to keep their chin on their chest, not only to keep their heads from hitting the ground during a fall, but also to keep their attacker in view. I showed them how to keep their feet facing the attacker by shifting on their hip from side to side or in a circle and how to kick the knees or other parts of the lower body to fend off an attacker. Finally, I showed them how to attack parts of the body like the ribcage, the groin, the underside of the nose, or the femoral nerve to get the attacker to move back and away from them. Predictably, some of the girls though a groin attack was pretty eeewww.

Great bunch of girls with some good questions.

Deload/Dynamic Effort/Speed Work @ 70% of 1RM and 60% for the backoff set.

Squat: 170, 1-1-1-1-1. 145-5 for a backoff set.

High Pulls: 15, 1-1-1-1-1. 115-5 for a backoff set.

Music: Mars the Bringer of War, Purple Haze, Hot Blooded, Her Strut, Scotland the Brave, A Boy Named Sue, Dream On, Miami Vice Theme, Tainted Love, Too Much Tome on My Hands.

Average HR of 123 bpm @ 83% of MHR for 52 minutes.

Today was real test of fortitude. My lumbars and knees have been aching for days and squats were no fun at all. Thank God it was a deload week. Add to that I wore an unexpectedly tight pair of shorts that made squatting deep enough something of a trial as well.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 01-24-2022 at 09:55 AM.

Bench Press: 160, 1-1-1-1-1. 135-5 for a backoff set.

Push Press: 85, 1-1-1-1-1. 70-5 for a backoff set.

Hammer High Row: 195, 1-1-1-1-1. 170-5 for a backoff set.

Music: 1812 Overture, Fire Down Below, We Will Rock You, Takin a Ride, Bond Theme, The Devil Went Down to Georgia, Born to Be Wild, Madman Across the Water, Start Me Up, Rocky Theme.

Average HR of 113bpm @ 75% of MHR for 44 minutes.

Working with the Special Olympians again tonight. We picked up a returning lifter tonight, Marisa. Despite not having lifted for over a year, she tackled much heavier weights than I anticipated she would want to or could handle. But then everyone there tonight made valiant efforts during their final attempts, particularly in the deadlift. Little by little, they are getting the cues down pat requiring less and less verbal and physical adjustment of hand and foot placement. DB has an eagle eye for squat depth, while I spot them from behind in case of a problem they need help recovering from.

I learned this week that coaching in Special Olympics carries some unforeseen paperwork and administrative responsibilities. Up to now, we've just been focused on the technical aspects of coaching the lifts and the lifters. Then there are the planning and logistics for the upcoming Summer Games Qualifier meet in March. Now we know we have to deal with those tasks, DB and I spent some time in Special Olympics regional headquarters earlier today learning to navigate some of the resources for coaches.

It was 9F here this morning with a -2F wind chill. Love it. People look at me like I'm crazy when I walk in the gym in shorts. My answer is, "I grew up way North of here. I can handle this way better than I can handle the Summer heat and humidity. There's a reason why Northern Illinois University's mascot is a husky."

Conditioning today was rounds of speed bag, air assault bike, box jumps, cable rotations, plate halos, heavy bag, and kettlebell swings.

Average HR of 134bpm @ 89% of MHR for 34 minutes.

Deadlift: 245, 1-1-1-1-1. 215-5 for a backoff set.

Hip Belt Squat: 245, 1-1-1-1-1. 215-5 for a backoff set.

Music: Die Walkure, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Immigrant Song, Patton, Radar Love, Marseillaise, Gloria, Foggy Bottom Breakdown, Rise, Star Wars Throne Room Theme, We Aren't Going to Take It, Thunderstruck, I Got a Line on You, Everybody Wants You.

Average HR of 127 bpm @ 85% of MHR for 57 minutes.

starting strength coach development program

Seated Press: 125, 1-1-1-1-1. 105-5 for a backoff set.

Pin Press: 140, 1-1-1-1-1. 120-5 for a backoff set.

Hammer Low Row: 205, 1-1-1-1-1. 180-5 for a backoff set.

Music: Crazy Train, Fire Down Below, Patton, Radar Love, Shipping Up to Boston, Bond Theme, Ring of Fire, Respect, Miami Vice, Tush, Ain't No Mountain High Enough.

Average HR of 127bpm @ 85% of MHR for 35 minutes.