starting strength gym
Page 603 of 659 FirstFirst ... 103503553593601602603604605613653 ... LastLast
Results 6,021 to 6,030 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Well, here we go again. DB and I have Omicron. It started to creep in on us Saturday morning in the form of congestion. We thought it might have just been a cold. My voice dropped an octave or two and I started sounding like Long John Silver. As the day progressed the congestion got worse for us and then I got some stomach problems. At that point, I looked up Omicron symptoms and sure enough, that was another symptom. So I bought some test kits and I tested positive while DB tested negative. We re-tested the next day in case mine was a false positive. But no, we both tested positive on Sunday.

No fever for either of us. Her congestion is worse than mine and she has head and body aches. Mine is mostly congestion and some attendant balance problems. Not too surprising given the association of the congested inner ear with balance. Both of us feel like our brains are sluggish and we are fatigued and sleeping a lot. No breathing problems.

We both got the 1st wave of this crud and had both of the Pfizer shots. But passed on the booster after seeing the studies (as reported in the New York Times, not Joe Rogan) that said the 3rd shot effectiveness dropped after 10 weeks. If we had gotten the booster when it came available, the timeline would most likely still have had us getting this again. Some "vaccine."

We went to the local clinic yesterday morning to test again if it was deemed necessary and see if there were any treatments for this. Not that we were particularly worried, but to cut off any possible worse complications sooner rather than later. They told they had no treatments for us. I said, "So we stay home and wait to see if we need to be hospitalized later?" No response to that. So, home we went to ride this out.

At least we were well stocked up with food etc. at the onset. We won't need anyone to leave anything at our doorstep and beat a hasty retreat from the plague.

The prospects of making the powerlifting meet I was going to lift in this coming Saturday is looking uncertain at best just now. I can't imagine even training light at home with this pounding head and fatigue. Squatting with balance issues seems crazy.

Good thing we get along well with each other.

You and your wife rest up and feel better!

Good luck Mark, hope it passes soon.

Thanks guys. We'll be fine I'm sure. Just annoying.

DB and I tested negative for Omicron yesterday. Yay! Back to reality now.

Glad to see you're both cleared now, expect to see you back at it soon. Your drive is a big motivator in my own training, six weeks to go before my next meet, and I'm on a good pace.

Thanks FF. I had to pass on the meet yesterday. While replenishing supplies I picked up a mere 40 lb. bag of bird seed and got the dizzies. Despite that, I'm going back to the gym tomorrow for a light day of breaking back in.

Light day @ 70% of 1RM and 60% for the backoff set.

Bench Press: 160, 1-1-1-1-1. 135-5 for a backoff set.

Push Press: 85, 1-1-1-1-1. 70-5 for a backoff set.

Hammer High Row: 195, 1-1-1-1-1. 170-5 for a backoff set.

Music via Spotify: Here I go Again, Punisher, Dies Irae, Shaft, Marine Corps Spirit Jody Call, John Henry, Under Pressure, Shaman.

Average HR of 117 bpm @ 77% of MHR for 44 minutes.

Good to be energetic enough to hit the iron again. I decided to go with bench press instead of squats in case of residual dizziness. Hard to get hurt lying down on a bench. Not a trace of it, although I did feel slightly weak.

As we pulled into the parking lot at the Rec Center, I warned DB to be careful of the ice. Big man, I took two steps out of the Explorer and went down like a felled tree. No injuries though. Amazingly to me, as I took stock after this humiliation, was the realization that halfway down I reacted unconsciously into a side fall like I had learned at age 17 in Judo.

Light day @ 70% of 1RM and 60% for the backoff set.

Squat: 170, 1-1-1-1-1. 145-5 for a backoff set.

High Pulls: 15, 1-1-1-1-1. 115-5 for a backoff set.

Music via Spotify: Stars and Stripes Forever, Smugglers Blues, Beethoven's 5th, Fire Down Below, Scotland the Brave, Bad to the Bone, Bolero, I'm So Excited, Tusk, Folsom Prison Blues, Rhapsody in Blue, Smoke on the Water.

Tweaked my back on the squats.

starting strength coach development program
    Worked with the Special Olympians last night. Lena's squat continues to improve, I had her try a thumb-over grip on the bar to keep her hands locked onto the bar. This stabilized not only her hands on the bar, but also the bar on her back. I decided to start using the commands for lifts to get the athletes used to following them for the upcoming qualifier next month. There was some pretty good attention to that from them. When we got to the bench press I demonstrated to them why there are the commands for START and PRESS. The judges want a controlled descent to the chest and a momentary pause so the bar doesn't get bounced off the torso. It was something of a trial lying down and getting up again off the bench with my tweaked back. Everyone's deadlift continues to improve. There was flawless compliance from everyone on the command of DOWN for this lift.

One of the biggest challenges of coaching is to judge the readiness of each lifter to try for another increase in the weight. Each lifter is different and keeping up with the mix of skills and strength and progress requires some close attention along with shifting gears between lifters. It's not easy either holding back a lifter to avoid injury or urging one to try using too much weight and also getting injured or discouraged.

Since there are now 5 lifters, this has turned into another workout for me too. My Fitbit logged over 400 calories burned for the nearly 90 minute session. Loading and unloading the bar along with spotting heated me up. None of which was easy with back twinging away at about 7 to 8 on the discomfort scale. Thank God for chiropractors.