starting strength gym
Page 613 of 659 FirstFirst ... 113513563603611612613614615623 ... LastLast
Results 6,121 to 6,130 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Cycle 1, Week 3, Sets of 5, then 3. then 1 or as many reps as possible @ 90% of 1RM

Deadlifts: 245 lbs. @ 75%, 275 lbs. @ 85%, 310 lbs. 1 rep. @ 95%.

Box Squats: 55-3, 105-3, 155-1.

Music: Darth Vader Death March, Back in Black, Copperhead Road, Sharp Dressed Man, Shaft Theme, Dirty Laundry, Another One Bites the Dust, Urgent, Ignition, Locomotive Breath.

61 minutes average HR 130 BPM @ 87% of MHR.

Another morning that required some fortitude to drag myself out of the comfort of bed. I had grandiose plans to try for a 1RM in the deadlift, but given the lackluster results of that attempt in the bench press and my drowsiness, I decided to wait a bit.

Cycle 1, Week 4, Sets of @ 90% of 1RM. Deload week.

Squats: 85 lbs. @ 40%, 110 lbs. @ 50%, 130 lbs. @ 60%.

High Pulls: 65 lbs. @ 40%, 85 lbs. @ 50%, 100 lbs. @ 60%.

Music: Ride of the Valkyries, Build Me Up Buttercup, Rescue Me, Fight for Your Right, Living La Vida Loca, Washington Post March, Round and Round, Ghost Riders in the Sky, Who Let the Dogs Out, Maniac, Sharp Dressed Man, Shipping Up to Boston.

49 minutes average HR 139 BPM @ 93% of MHR.

Back to some conditioning this morning with rounds of speed bag, cable rotations, SciFit, medicine ball toss, heavy bag, and elliptical.

30 minutes average HR 137 BPM @ 91% of MHR.

Cycle 1, Week 4, Sets of @ 90% of 1RM. Deload week.

Bench Press: 80 lbs. @ 40%, 105 lbs. @ 50%, 120 lbs. @ 60%.

Push Press: 50 lbs. @ 40%, 60 lbs. @ 50%, 70 lbs. @ 60%.

Pulldown: 60 lbs. @ 40%, 70 lbs. @ 50%, 90 lbs. @ 60%.

Music: Purple Haze, Beethoven's 5th, Eye of the Tiger, The Devil Went Down to Georgia, Relax.

21 minutes average HR 130 BPM @ 87% of MHR.

Ball Cap.jpg

I promoted Ken to 2nd degree Purple Belt tonight. He got through all 50 techniques, strikes, and pressure points in just a little over 30 minutes. It's easy to tell he works on these things solo and with whoever he can draft into acting as a crash dummy for him to practice on.

Rounds today of speed bag, rowing, medicine ball slam, heavy bag, and crunches.

30 minutes average HR 136 BPM @ 91% of MHR.

I took the week off from lifting and other stuff. Special Olympics Summer Games are this weekend in Bloomington and there were a number of things to gather up and get squared away. Plus, I've been having some more lingering effects and feeling tired, creaky, and draggy in my joints from overtraining for over a year. The heat wave blanketing the Midwest hasn't helped either. Thank goodness the four powerlifters will be indoors in A/C instead of outside in some of the track and field events this weekend.

Back from Special Olympics Summer Games, although recovering might be a more accurate term.

The drive there Friday was a little challenging, what with a storm that passed through the area right before we hit the road. The worst was over on the drive, and we made good time. All the while taking great care not to talk about the traffic or road conditions. It's a thing you learn in SoCal, because the second you open your mouth on the subject, the evil sentient beings the highway gods will take immediate vengeance on you and create an accident or other road jam. The 4 hour drive passed quickly.

We got there only a little after the noon opening of weigh-ins. I wanted to arrive 10-15 minutes early, but the maze of one way streets made what looked like a straight shot on Google Maps something of a labyrinth. Even so, DB and I met with the lifters and got them weighed in. Just in time as it turned out, because within minutes the line for weigh-ins was dozens of people long.

Lifting on Saturday was at 8:30, but there was a coaches meeting at 7:15 so up early again for that. Some confusing directions about the commands for the squat might be "squat" might be "drop". Same for the bench press, it might be "start" or "drop". So I hustled out to prepare the lifters for either command as a possibility.

The male lifters, Jacob and Jereth, were on Platforms 2 and 3 respectively at 8:30. Fortunately, the two only lifted at the same time once during the course of their three attempts. I had to make a choice of who to stay close to, so I asked them which one thought they wanted me there with them. That done, I assured the other guy I would be back with him ASAP. They both did fine on their lifts and both got 1 or more gold medals.

The women lifters, Kaydee and Lena, were both on Platform 3 when the second session started, a little after 12:30. This made it easier to keep track of their lifts without having to shuttle between platforms. Both of them got some gold as well.

I'm very happy for all of them. They all showed a lot of courage and determination yesterday and put all they had into their attempts. All of them exceeded what I thought they might be capable of.

I learned a good deal myself yesterday about coaching. It seems like it should be easy, but to do your job properly you need to be with them and paying close attention to their confidence and condition. Making sure they are OK with the weights being used for their attempts and discussing those weights with them before you submit them to the scoring table. This got really complicated for 3rd attempts. I had to negotiate with not only the lifters, but also their parents and guardians to make certain they didn't insist on a weight I didn't think they were capable of lifting without injury to themselves. I negotiated two of them 20-30 pounds down from what they wanted to do on their 3rd attempts in the deadlift. But both of them made it look so easy I can see I was too conservative.

It's really tiring, stressful, and (for me at least) emotionally draining coaching for the 8 hours I was there. Shifting focus between lifters and attempts takes real concentration and the noise level from the other lifters and spectators cheering is distracting to say the least. Staying aware of how the lifters are doing is critical. Are they strong and confident, or are they fading? You have to keep up the dialog and use your best judgment to keep them hurting themselves to please you and play to the roaring crowd. I know of one lifter who got pushed too hard by a coach before I got involved in Special Olympics and ended up with a hernia. Not on my watch, if I can help it.

Some rest and respite is needed now.

Great work, coach. Enjoy that well deserved rest and respite!

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you Bill.